Game 34: Rangers at Flyers; 3/27/21 @ 1 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Let Sam play.

Tell Gus to pack his goddamn bags.

So in the near future after we get a top notch vet, it can be Provy, with the new guy, Meyers and Soyheim, Morin and Ghost? Who do we want as the 6th and 7th guys ? Gus being gone is a given, now it’s between Ghost, Braun and Haag for 6 and 7.

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Soyheim

I knew he was a soy boy.

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Ghost?

I'm afraid Shayne is the odd man out especially with his price tag.

Maybe Seattle takes him.

Either way maybe they can trade him this offseason closer to his home with the Panthers or something.

Can have a 4 mill 6th or 7th D man not in a flat cap world.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I have been saying give the kid a chance if he can't beat these bums out he'll never be an NHLer.

Between Erik Gustafsson, Robert Hagg, and Nate Prosser rotating into the lineup, why not give Sam Morin a chance to stick?

He's big and can defend with his stick, he hits, and he'll fight if the team needs it.

There are definitely worse options as the sixth defenseman.

Keep skating him out there let him learn on the job.

He is worth investing in more.

I agree, think of Morins fight and character, he came back from two devastating injuries, he worked like hell in rehab and unlike many of his teammates , he never gave up and he always kept a positive attitude. Think about going through that rehab not once but twice, most people would have called it a day. A guy with that kind of work ethic could be a big help to this team. That is old time Flyers determination, which we don’t see much of any more. We have to look at him as a 6th defenseman and not as a failed Chris Pronger . 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I knew he was a soy boy.

I'm afraid Shayne is the odd man out especially with his price tag.

Maybe Seattle takes him.

Either way maybe they can trade him this offseason closer to his home with the Panthers or something.

Can have a 4 mill 6th or 7th D man not in a flat cap world.

Yeah if we can trade JVR and Ghost rather than risk losing them for nothing, it increases the odds that Seattle takes Jake. I’m sure that of the three ,Jake is last on Seattle’s list . So let’s limit their options. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

not as a failed Chris Pronger . 

Yes. Pronger is big shoes to fill for anyone.

I just want he playing with his confidence and go from there.

If you check out his old highlights.

His size with his mobility is what they are trying to harness out of him.

I think it's still in there. We just need it on the ice.

Big men like him who move like this don't grow on trees...

Kid has some wheels.

And untapped potential. 

The unsung guy was NAK not once but twice he defended the puck from a Ranger defender to send Sam the pass he put home very nice play.

That is the NAK I remember and want to see tenacious and relentless...he has gotten away that from the times I have watched lately. It is what use to separate him from the others.

Need more of that.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

What go stand besides the net and hope no one sees you?

Check.

Did realize that could be a strategy.

Who knew.

Exactly.

It shouldn't be.  But seriously, the flyers suck against everyone, but the Rangers are exposing it more than most.

And that doorstep is open against other teams, but you're not seeing touchdowns.

Zibby, in particular, is doing a good job of sneaking in, and his linemates are doing a good job of getting the puck to him.  It's not like other teams aren't beating the Flyers, but until today, the Rangers are doing it much more consistently and effectively.

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I agree, think of Morins fight and character, he came back from two devastating injuries, he worked like hell in rehab and unlike many of his teammates , he never gave up and he always kept a positive attitude. Think about going through that rehab not once but twice, most people would have called it a day. A guy with that kind of work ethic could be a big help to this team. That is old time Flyers determination, which we don’t see much of any more. We have to look at him as a 6th defenseman and not as a failed Chris Pronger . 

How can you not like this kid?

Passion.

• Like 2

Hello:

I got back from errands and visits for the third period.  For once, my timing was good.  The team showed some pizzazz and determination.  Watching the team mob Morin after the score made you think it was overtime winner in the 7th game of the Stanley Cup.  I felt great for him.  Let's hope this is the start of an upward trajectory for him and the team.

My only "problem" with this game is that it makes CF's life more complicated.  He has to consider how much patience to show for people like Morin, Patrick, and Aube-Kubel. I also wonder if Ghost and Morin become an interesting third pair, though I agree with Occ that Ghost is expensive for a 3rd pairing.  

I have to wonder if Braun becomes "expendable" for trade to a team seeking D help?  If he fetches a pick, fine.  His contract ends next year--the acquiring team has an affordable hit or a potential Kraken.  Morin is a more mobile, cheaper version for the time being.

Hagg and Gus--wonder how much playing time either will see in coming weeks.  Gus disappears.  Hagg has another year.  Maybe he's another pickup for someone who wants D depth and a Kraken feeder.  

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The unsung guy was NAK not once but twice he defended the puck from a Ranger defender to send Sam the pass he put home very nice play.

That is the NAK I remember and want to see tenacious and relentless...he has gotten away that from the times I have watched lately. It is what use to separate him from the others.

Need more of that.

:yawn:...tapping fingers

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Need more of that.

giphy.gif

Edited by ruxpin

12 hours ago, Howie58 said:

My only "problem" with this game is that it makes CF's life more complicated. 

The only issue I have with this is that it is ONE GAME.

They get blown out consecutively and then get goals from Patrick abd Morin and it's suddenly "maybe they're in better shape than we thought!"?

All of the things that were true on Friday remain true today regardless of what happened Saturday.

Eight years ago it was a "good sign" that they lost in seven games to a Cup Finalist, for example.

Eight years later they have one playoff round win.

They *barely* beat The Rangers - a team that honestly wasn't supposed to be any good this year and yet is exactly at the same position the Flyers - set to make gains on last year - find themselves.

It's like we're supposed to once again believe that the magic beans just might buy the Brooklyn Bridge.

They were a bubble playoff team on Friday, they're a bubble playoff team today. And we're back to "make the playoffs and anything can happen."

To be clear Howie, I'm not saying all of this is exactly what you're saying... Your comment is a jumping off point and I like bridges :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

eugene levy johnny rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

Edited by radoran
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

They get blown out consecutively and then get goals from Patrick abd Morin and it's suddenly "maybe they're in better shape than we thought!"?

No they still have a myriad of issues plaguing them. However it is one hand up towards crawling out this deep hole they have dug. Now the only thing they need to try to do is win another game.

Nothing else. Stringing a lot of Ws together is the only way they "are in better shape".

One win does not change the fact they are so easy to play against in their own end.

Morin, Coots, NAK and Raffl can't be out there every minute...to me right now are the only ones who are physical when out there...even Ivan has slacked off (his may be due to being injured i think).

They have a long way to go still too many passengers.

I know it has been only one game but how huge could it be that Morin and Ghost rekindle their magic they had on the Phantoms???

I know it was brief only like 14 games or something but it was also Morin best year before the injuries derailed him.

Just saying if you could make use of Ghost that could be a huge boost to the defense. Maybe they can make a 3rd pair tandem. Stranger things have happened. 

Maybe the tip of the iceberg.

Then you can find takers for maybe Gus and Hagg possibly or keep Hagg and trade Gus. If you can.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

Great, now they just need four more defencemen...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

#babysteps

I have a plan.......all the NHL teams will trade us their top guys for our trash.

This stays between us.......don't tell everyone then everyone will want our trash.

SSSSSssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

They *barely* beat The Rangers - a team that honestly wasn't supposed to be any good this year and yet is exactly at the same position the Flyers - set to make gains on last year - find themselves.

I know....and we're "buyers", right? 

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Not for nothing but the Rangers are much better now than when the season began. They gave the Caps all they could handle today - after a tough game yesterday while the Caps rested. With Shesterkin in net the Rangers are a tough out.

That wasn't to dispute your point though. I agree there's little cause to celebrate. Morin played well, got the GWer. Gostisbehere looked good and Eliot was good enough. There's a few things the Flyers can build on...if they actually build on them. Or they may give up 6 goals tomorrow night and lose to Buffalo. I just have no feeling for this team, no idea who will show up.

One thing I think is clear, a shake-up is in order and just about everyone is fair game.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Not for nothing but the Rangers are much better now than when the season began.

Well that is how it is supposed to work.

The question in that case... is why are the Flyers either stuck in neutral or firmly in reverse?

51 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

One thing I think is clear, a shake-up is in order and just about everyone is fair game.

Thing is I feel that the organization* is quite happy as a bubble playoff team "always in the mix" chasing the "anything can happen" dragon.

They've been mainling that stuff for over a decade and it's a hard habit to break...

Edited by radoran

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I blame New Jersey. It's legal there. 

Probably able to get some at Rhexy's

NY just legalized it too, since it’s legal to take a dump in the street and there is no longer any bail requirements ,what’s a little bit of weed gonna do that hasn’t already been done. At least we didn’t legalize heroin like Oregon did.

10 hours ago, radoran said:

o be clear Howie, I'm not saying all of this is exactly what you're saying... Your comment is a jumping off point and I like bridges :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Sir Rad:

I agree 100% that the inconsistency we've seen forever is crap.  We will have to look at Patrick and Morin at season's end to see what's up.  I think some might argue (Pittsburgh Gazette had a piece) that Morin was a waste.  Patrick has his own issues.  That said, if they contribute more than expected, CF may have more to ponder.

I am glad to be a bridge builder!

• Like 1

@GratefulFlyers @radoran @Howie58

One of the things that has been extra special maddening this season has been every little flub has been winding up as a goal against, or so it has seemed.

Pucks jump sticks all the time in the NHL especially in the Spring when it's warmer and the ice is "not great".

When the puck jumps a Flyers stick or they whiff on a clear/pass those events seem to compound into 5 star chances for every opposition team.

I don't notice pucks jumping the sticks of the other team as much and certainly it doesn't turn into a 2 on 0 70% of the time in the Flyers favor.

There's an element of extreme bad luck that has coincided with their bad play that has made this month especially awful.

Coupled with remembering how well essentially this same group of players played last year really brings out the frustration.

There is truth to the statement the team isn't hard to play against, like say the Islanders.

There is no identity with this group, they don't quit but they don't fight effectively either. It's like they're just tough enough to really take a beating. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@GratefulFlyers @radoran @Howie58

One of the things that has been extra special maddening this season has been every little flub has been winding up as a goal against, or so it has seemed.

Pucks jump sticks all the time in the NHL especially in the Spring when it's warmer and the ice is "not great".

When the puck jumps a Flyers stick or they whiff on a clear/pass those events seem to compound into 5 star chances for every opposition team.

I don't notice pucks jumping the sticks of the other team as much and certainly it doesn't turn into a 2 on 0 70% of the time in the Flyers favor.

There's an element of extreme bad luck that has coincided with their bad play that has made this month especially awful.

Coupled with remembering how well essentially this same group of players played last year really brings out the frustration.

There is truth to the statement the team isn't hard to play against, like say the Islanders.

There is no identity with this group, they don't quit but they don't fight effectively either. It's like they're just tough enough to really take a beating. 

As opposed to having a goalie playing well who can erase mistakes and the Flyers don't have it this year.

Rangers feed just pulled up that Igor Shesterkin has a .929 sv% on breakaways this season, 13/14...

Carter Hart is what kept them in the race last year before just not being able to overcome the Isles in there never ending waves it seemed.

I hope the goalies can regain their form this year.

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I get the whole "bad luck" aspect of things, but Voracek's "bad luck" doesn't leave Strome sitting in front of the crease with no contact, for example. "Bad luck" isn't Provorov completely blowing a basic 2-on-1 defense.

This team has made no small part of its "bad luck" and its been sloppy play in the defensive end rather than a puck jumping the stick in the offensive end that has been their downfall.

And, yes, it is maddening to see (almost) the same team with the same coaching staff that was playing top flight hockey last Spring be the one that is looking to set a record for goals against in a month.

And that's what I mean about consistency of play. When players put up - for example - 58 points one year and 104 points in another year it's hard to know what kind of play you're going to get.

So then we wind up watching a team that was playing gangbusters a year ago back in the monkey suit eyeing up that football.