Game 31: Islanders at Flyers; 3/22/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

18 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

This was a disappointing loss.  There was effort.  But Sorokin was good and the PP couldn't deliver.  And a turnover led to the winner.  What else is new?

Disappointing but not unexpected. I bet not one person on here was comfortable going into the 3rd and expected a win.

WTF is wrong with the power play? which coach is in charge of that **** show?

2 minutes ago, Fizz said:

Disappointing but not unexpected. I bet not one person on here was comfortable going into the 3rd and expected a win.

WTF is wrong with the power play? which coach is in charge of that **** show?

Too much passing, not enough shooting...bad entries into the zone and not enough zone time. Other than that, the Flyers power play has been great. Michel Therrien is in charge of the power play, to my knowledge.

8 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Too much passing, not enough shooting...bad entries into the zone and not enough zone time. Other than that, the Flyers power play has been great. Michel Therrien is in charge of the power play, to my knowledge.

Our PP has been crap for most of the last 10 years and since it’s inception, our shootout results are probably the worst in the NHL. We have had a bunch of different coaches and nothing has changed. It’s the players , we just don’t have the skill level. How predictable is the Flyers PP with G on the left side, and Jake on the point, everything is telegraphed and there is no fluid puck movement at all. We had a 4 on 2 late in the game and they couldn’t even complete the first pass into the zone, it’s pathetic.I never see us set up a beautiful passing play to score a goal like other teams do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Well with 26 games left to go and the Flyers are in the midst of their slump, they still have a chance to make the playoffs being that they play head to head with the teams in front of them unlike other years where they would need other teams to help them out to gain ground. The question is with this team right now even if they made the playoffs they'd be one and done.

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, Lindbergh31 said:

...The question is with this team right now even if they made the playoffs they'd be one and done.

Yes it's hard to see the Flyers taking 4 of 7 against anyone right now. The last time they won 2 in a row was the shutouts vs. Buffalo 3 weeks ago.

If they face Buffalo, NJ or the Rangers the Flyers could possibly advance. The only problem is...  

1 hour ago, Lindbergh31 said:
9 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Well with 26 games left to go and the Flyers are in the midst of their slump, they still have a chance to make the playoffs

I hate saying this, but God I hope not. If they squeak in they will assume they have a chance to get hot. This leads to a false sense of security that a player signing, maybe 2, will be enough to sustain future seasons.

39 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I hate saying this, but God I hope not. If they squeak in they will assume they have a chance to get hot. This leads to a false sense of security that a player signing, maybe 2, will be enough to sustain future seasons.

Yeah maybe missing the playoffs is the best thing for this club. The fact is it seems like they won't have to try that hard for that to happen....just because in fact they aren't that good.

This is a heatless team. Look no further than Oskar Lindblom less than a year removed from having cancer having to be the one to step and drop the gloves....they should be ashamed of themselves.

Guys i would keep:

Coots

Farabee

Provorov

Hart

Seriously.

Make me an offer for anyone else on the team.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 2

That result was unjust.

That said, there is no more runway left. No more moral victories. They need to get results.

If the team can deliver that kind of effort the rest of the season, they will make the playoffs and who knows, I don't see any team in the Mass Mutual division that is not beatable.

The hallmark of this year's team is they do not deliver that kind of effort consistently.  It's why peoples fingers are sore and why the trade calculator websites have a high volume of Flyers fans visiting.

Erik Gustafsson is perhaps the dumbest Flyers player in the history of dumb Flyers players.

His lack of awareness, situational, and positional is like nothing I've ever seen. Is he concussed?, color blind? does he get tunnel vision? 

It is amazing how many times he passes the puck away from support, or to no one in his D zone and the neutral zone. If he's not making that flip play you can bet he's going to do something stupid with the puck in the defensive zone. 

I know the "bad" play was Farabee and Ghost, but Gus killed a lot of plays for the Flyers last night. 

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Erik Gustafsson is perhaps the dumbest Flyers player in the history of dumb Flyers players.

Man that is a long list to compete with. But i tend to agree.

He makes Ghost look like a Norris candidate.

But if Chuckles can move him at the dead line for anything of value he must do and if he does he is a magician.

They will not make the playoffs. They just have so many issues and they can't be fixed during the season. And they record is indictive of that to me. 3-6-1 and Devils ass whipping is looming i feel it. 

Just get this season over with already....so glad i didn't reup my Gamecenter subscription.

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I know the "bad" play was Farabee and Ghost

Might not have happened like that if Ghost was a right hand shot but even after the blunder there just wasn't much effort to help out their goalie...if they can't move Ghost now before the trade deadline maybe there is a small silver of hope Seattle would want him...hate to lose him for nothing but he is not a 4.5 mill per year defenseman...no lie if anyone needs a new position Ghost should be tried on the wing...i mean damn if they were willing to try Sam there why not Ghost....he is not a defenseman unless he is stuck a guy who is a stu in his own end to cover for him....and that guy is not on this roster.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I know the "bad" play was Farabee and Ghost, but Gus killed a lot of plays for the Flyers last night. 

And you know after rewatching this at the 8 minute mark...

...man WTF is Ivan doing just puck watching #44 just scoot by Ghost but right down in front of Ivan towards the goal and there is no light that comes on for Ivan to skate down low with this guy even.

Just wow how average Ivan has been this year too. It seems it's brought up about Hart man but Ivan needs some guidance so bad too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah maybe missing the playoffs is the best thing for this club. The fact is it seems like they won't have to try that hard for that to happen....just because in fact they aren't that good.

This is a heatless team. Look no further than Oskar Lindblom less than a year removed from having cancer having to be the one to step and drop the gloves....they should be ashamed of themselves.

Guys i would keep:

Coots

Farabee

Provorov

Hart

Seriously.

Make me an offer for anyone else on the team.

chuck should just find every player with a shooting mentality that's in fa or trades, our farm system etc, i dont want this same team back next year or im not just not going to watch this team again, i feel for the coaches that have to deal with such a garbage roster that was set up by hextall.

30 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

chuck should just find every player with a shooting mentality that's in fa or trades, our farm system etc, i dont want this same team back next year or im not just not going to watch this team again, i feel for the coaches that have to deal with such a garbage roster that was set up by hextall.

Well that's the thing, I don't see that at all. I see a lot of young players that have the talent. but they have not been is a system that they can have success in. So they end up looking lost out there. Don't get me wrong there are players on this team that need to go, but IMO the core is there. I know its not a popular train of thought but its all coaching.

The powerplay, sucks the penalty kill sucks, hell the whole system they play sucks.

4 minutes ago, Fizz said:

Well that's the thing, I don't see that at all. I see a lot of young players that have the talent. but they have not been is a system that they can have success in. So they end up looking lost out there. Don't get me wrong there are players on this team that need to go, but IMO the core is there. I know its not a popular train of thought but its all coaching.

The powerplay, sucks the penalty kill sucks, hell the whole system they play sucks.

Who do you think is the "core", and who needs to go?

10 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Who do you think is the "core", and who needs to go?

Core - Couturier, Farabee, Hayes, Aube-Kubel, Lindblom, Hart, Patrick, Provorov. 

Need to go - Giroux, Voracek, JVR, Gostisbehere, Gustafsson, Myers.

@Fizz

That's a reasonable list, I'd swap Giroux for Hayes in the keeper pile. I like Hayesy, but I like G more.

I'm not all set to dump Myers either. He's still young in terms or NHL games played, and last night I watched him track down and body Matt Barzal who looked to be on a break away.

Not too many dudes can do that. 

However, for the right deal I would trade him and hope one of the prospects fills his role more consistently.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@Fizz

That's a reasonable list, I'd swap Giroux for Hayes in the keeper pile. I like Hayesy, but I like G more.

I'm not all set to dump Myers either. He's still young in terms or NHL games played, and last night I watched him track down and body Matt Barzal who looked to be on a break away.

Not too many dudes can do that. 

However, for the right deal I would trade him and hope one of the prospects fills his role more consistently.

Giroux mostly for his age and his contract and I think Couturier is a better leader.

• Like 1