Game 25: Capitals at Flyers; 3/11/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

1 hour ago, albertaflyer said:

They have Crosby and Malkin that's how. Once those guys move on the Penguins are going to be in for a long rebuild. Why do you think Hexy was hired? They know it's coming and he's been through it before.

Nope!

The nhl will manipulate the draft to make they can still win

• Like 2

11 years of the same old same old. One common thread. #28. He deserves a shot at a cup, somewhere else. His contract is now an albatross. This team is not close to winning, talent has been overrated, desire is nonexistent, which is unbearable on a team who's icon player personified desire and win at all costs. The next 2 drafts are a crap shoot due to covid, and the Kraken draft will cost an asset. Fletcher has some work to do, this group is not a good sum of its parts. Trading #28 would certainly send a wake up call to the rest of the group. The sneak into the playoffs for the revenue mantra has to change before any positives can come. Drafting outside the top 10 has zero guarantees. So apparently does drafting at #2. Maybe we should blame the scouts.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Its a business. They are still making money regardless of the product on ice

It is indeed, but image means a lot to the higher ups, too. If the KNOWLEDGEABLE and most passionate fans show up and boo loudly, that can't be muted by the higher ups. They hear it, and they don't want to give fans one more reason to stay home. They don't ALL have season tickets, and can't make up for all of the ticket revenue with TV money, if rearends aren't in the seats. Some of the seats are occupied by rich business people who may not care, but many are occupied by good fans.

Edited by FD19372

36 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

at a cup, somewhere else. His contract is now an albatross.

Not really anymore. He is only under contract for next year.

I can see Giroux and Coots swapping caphit number on a new deal.

Give Coots the 8.25 mill and Giroux taking the 4.3 mill.

If not then we'll traded him to somewhere he wants to go.

• Like 1

Sources from Broad Street Hockey ...FWIW...are stating that the Flyers have officially begun preliminary talks with the Nashville Predators. There is speculation that..as I think others may have kicked around here, that the trade would be dealing Ghost and Gustafsson + draft picks, for Ekholm and Arvidsson .

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

Off topic at this point, but this from a former ref...and a GOOD one at that!

"Last night in Philadelphia, center Scott Laughton got flipped directly onto his head on a center ice face off by Buffalo's Curtis Lazar. It almost took a second to register what actually happened on the sequence but it was a dangerous situation (fortunately, Laughton turned out to be OK). Once again, I'm not sure how there was no call with the play taking place right at the center ice dot. I am also perplexed as to why no Philadelphia player responded, because this was a cut-and-dry situation where the expectation is automatic -- or at least used to be -- that someone stand up for his teammate. That's especially true because I've seen Laughton, in past situations involving a teammate felled by a questionable or dangerous play, be the first man to his defense. Those are the guys whose backs you should MOST want to have, but it should apply to anyone in your team's sweater."

I don't know why, but that ******** on Laughton and the team's complete LACK of response really set me back a lot with this current team....I'm having a hard time moving on.

Also, our defense is ATROCIOUS!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

Sources from Broad Street Hockey ...FWIW...are stating that the Flyers have officially begun preliminary talks with the Nashville Predators. There is speculation that..as I think others may have kicked around here, that the trade would be dealing Ghost and Gustafsson + draft picks, for Ekholm and Arvidsson .

I see a move I said they would cheap out and make a Thompson for the blue line.

Flyers reportedly targeting Alex Goligoski

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2021/3/12/22327078/flyers-reportedly-targetting-alex-goligoski-trade-rumors-nhl-philadelphia-coyotes

There is the scared Chuckles move I expected, so he can say "We looked but this is the deal that made the most sense for us..."

WTF ever.

Yeah this guy who is only faster than Braun is going to help out.

SMGDH

We are sub-.500 against the rest of the division.  Granted, we have some tough competitors.  That said, we don't seem to be where we need or hoped to be a year or two ago.  As a long-time fan, it is sad.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

We are sub-.500 against the rest of the division.  Granted, we have some tough competitors.  That said, we don't seem to be where we need or hoped to be a year or two ago.  As a long-time fan, it is sad.  

They are two years away from being two years away.

Right where we want them.

• Uggh... 1

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I see a move I said they would cheap out and make a Thompson for the blue line.

Flyers reportedly targeting Alex Goligoski

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2021/3/12/22327078/flyers-reportedly-targetting-alex-goligoski-trade-rumors-nhl-philadelphia-coyotes

There is the scared Chuckles move I expected, so he can say "We looked but this is the deal that made the most sense for us..."

WTF ever.

Yeah this guy who is only faster than Braun is going to help out.

SMGDH

Someone put a piece of cheese on a string, since Holmgren still looks awfully tough to just drag and throw in the janitor's closet, and lead them into the janitor's closet, and lock them in. Dear Gawd. Putting another band-aid on something requiring stitches, with someone as you mentioned (and I agree), is slow. Let Fletcher make the damned deal for Ekholm and stop the nonsense.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

11 years of the same old same old. One common thread. #28. He deserves a shot at a cup, somewhere else. His contract is now an albatross. 

I don't have a problem dealing anyone for the right return. 

Girouxs contract has ONE more year on it...so it's nowhere near the worst in the league. He's still productive, so he still has value. The contract isn't a dump situation.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok...ENOUGH of the "bring everyone and anyone with a Minnesota connection to the Flyers" bs.

Nothing against the state, but you don't build a team around it.

A 35 year old offensive defenceman with TWO points is not what we need.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok...ENOUGH of the "bring everyone and anyone with a Minnesota connection to the Flyers" bs.

Nothing against the state, but you don't build a team around it.

A 35 year old offensive defenceman with TWO points is not what we need.

I didn't even know he was from Minnesota.

Now that makes so much sense.

This is his feeble look I made a trade to help the situation bulls*t. 

I hope this is only a rumor.

The only guy older than him on the club would be Elliott but by two months.

🤬

26 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't have a problem dealing anyone for the right return. 

Girouxs contract has ONE more year on it...so it's nowhere near the worst in the league. He's still productive, so he still has value. The contract isn't a dump situation.

$8.2 mill puts Giroux 31st highest paid player in the league. He is currently outside the top 100 in scoring. Not really productive in a salary cap world. I am not Giroux bashing, it's common asset management sense. Also, his NMC will cost a piece in the Kraken draft. Finally, he has been a ghost in the playoffs. Not what you want from your captain and highest paid player. I have no problem with Toews staying in Chicago, he has a legacy there. Unfortunately for Claude, the scouts and GMs have not provided him with a team that could do that for him.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

$8.2 mill puts Giroux 31st highest paid player in the league. He is currently outside the top 100 in scoring. Not really productive in a salary cap world. I am not Giroux bashing, it's common asset management sense. Also, his NMC will cost a piece in the Kraken draft. Finally, he has been a ghost in the playoffs. Not what you want from your captain and highest paid player. I have no problem with Toews staying in Chicago, he has a legacy there. Unfortunately for Claude, the scouts and GMs have not provided him with a team that could do that for him.

Agree with everything you said, other than he's not in the top 100...he's tied for 90th. He's also 4 points from 42nd.

I was just saying his contract isn't untradeable, IF you can get him to waive. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I didn't even know he was from Minnesota.

Now that makes so much sense.

This is his feeble look I made a trade to help the situation bulls*t. 

I hope this is only a rumor.

The only guy older than him on the club would be Elliott but by two months.

🤬

How could you not know there was some sort of tie-in with Minny? It's Fletchers M.O.

It'd be like the Braun trade...throw away a 2nd and a 3rd on a washed up bum who's from his favorite state. It's like having Homer back.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Uggh... 1