Game 24: Sabres at Flyers; 3/9/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

There may be a lot of frustration here because, as noted, we are getting sick of being a year away from being elite...and not getting there.

I don't want to run Hart out of town.  There are serious D lapses that would probably challenge any goalie, but may hurt a youngin more.  

As I have said before, we had two "visions" heading into the season.  The first is our 9-1 + entry playoff run.  The second was the so-so performance we saw against MTL and NYI.  Right now, we seem to be closer to the latter.  Our D seems to have serious lapses.  Our special teams are mediocre.  

Bottom line--we may be a marginal playoff squad in a tough division.   I can't see this team taking out the squads currently above us in the rankings.  

I think the team isn't playing like one. Last year they seemed to be all playing for each other. Then all of a sudden...everyones standing around. That's what I see. 

Guys like Provorov/Konecny/Patrick/Sanheim etc. They don't suck. But they're sure playing like they do right now. But so are the vets.

• Good Post 1

comments here got me looking at Girouxs game stats

In 21 games, he has been held scoreless 10 times. He has had goalless droughts of 7 and 9 games, with one goal in between. 17 games, one goal! 

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Guys like Provorov/Konecny/Patrick/Sanheim etc. They don't suck. But they're sure playing like they do right now. But so are the vets.

Yeah there isn't anyone on the team playing well for a complete 60 minutes yet. No one.

One thing i expected is some more offense from Sanheim and Myers, Phil is still looking for his first goal. And only has 5 assist and Travis only 6.

I guess with all the issues in their own end they expend to much energy getting the puck more at the other net.

Right now it seems Ghost is the only offense they are getting from the Matadors lately.

That has to change too....but when?

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

There may be a lot of frustration here because, as noted, we are getting sick of being a year away from being elite...and not getting there.

I don't want to run Hart out of town.  There are serious D lapses that would probably challenge any goalie, but may hurt a youngin more.  

As I have said before, we had two "visions" heading into the season.  The first is our 9-1 + entry playoff run.  The second was the so-so performance we saw against MTL and NYI.  Right now, we seem to be closer to the latter.  Our D seems to have serious lapses.  Our special teams are mediocre.  

Bottom line--we may be a marginal playoff squad in a tough division.   I can't see this team taking out the squads currently above us in the rankings.  

Believe me I'm as frustrated as everyone because I know how good this team can be. But it all comes back to losing that over 20 minute a night right shot vet D man. There's reason why those guys are so coveted.  When you look at the age of the Flyers D they are a very young D core. Fletcher didn't address that and its costing the team. One thing Niskanen was so good at was that first pass out of the zone. Even Provorov hasn't been good at that this year. I counted on on two consecutive shift last night Provorov having 3 unforced giveaways just by not making an outlet pass from the D zone.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

When JVR and Farabee are your leading scorers that's a huge red flag. Guys that should be scoring aren't. Hayes, Konecny, Vorachek, Giroux, Patrick. I could go on are not performing.

Going to pick at this one.

They are paying JvR to score, and thank the gods he is. 7 million a year he's earning his money and has been pretty good being protected by Couturier and Joel. 

Speaking of Farabee, he is a first round pick and is playing as projected earlier than expected. ( check out my soundcloud @mojorocks for more dope rhymes)

https://twitter.com/avappleyard/status/1369627426347757569?s=20

Giroux is the best two way player on the team, his has 18 points in 21 games. 

He is playing well. 

Hayesy is looking a  little off, and Koneckny must be aiming for the cage as often as he's hitting it.

Everyone has been over Patrick no argument there he's underwhelmed. 

AV's teams do improve as the season progresses. I still hope this group can get it together and make some noise.

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

Going to pick at this one.

They are paying JvR to score, and thank the gods he is. 7 million a year he's earning his money and has been pretty good being protected by Couturier and Joel. 

Speaking of Farabee, he is a first round pick and is playing as projected earlier than expected. ( check out my soundcloud @mojorocks for more dope rhymes)

https://twitter.com/avappleyard/status/1369627426347757569?s=20

Giroux is the best two way player on the team, his has 18 points in 21 games. 

He is playing well. 

Hayesy is looking a  little off, and Koneckny must be aiming for the cage as often as he's hitting it.

Everyone has been over Patrick no argument there he's underwhelmed. 

AV's teams do improve as the season progresses. I still hope this group can get it together and make some noise.

JVR has always been a goal scorer. But he should never be leading your team in points. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Giroux is the best two way player on the team, his has 18 points in 21 games

Here we go again 😆

G's PPG avg is getting smaller. I'll give him credit for 5 goals this season, 3 in one game (laughton got his ass in the way and took credit for one). But officially he has 4, 2 in one game. Without that ONE game, he has 2, surrounded by droughts worthy of a 4th line grinder.

If you are happy with this, more power to you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Here we go again 😆

G's PPG avg is getting smaller. I'll give him credit for 5 goals this season, 3 in one game (laughton got his ass in the way and took credit for one). But officially he has 4, 2 in one game. Without that ONE game, he has 2, surrounded by droughts worthy of a 4th line grinder.

If you are happy with this, more power to you

You could also give him one of Koeckny's goals, one grazed TK on it's way to the net early in the season.

It is interesting the stats can tell the story any way you like, can't they? 

I'd like more ZOMG! moments also.

But I will certainly take tilting the ice in his team's favor when he's skating.

It's a team game no one outside of McJesus covers all 200 feet all the time. 

Dude deserves maybe a quarter of the shade he gets here and else where on the interwebs. 

I turned it off after Lazar pitchforked Laughton and the response of the entire team was to put their heads down. Hard to believe that this team is softer than the one that got run out the playoffs with their tails between their legs last year. Soft, pathetic, mediocre, from the gm down.

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

G's PPG avg is getting smaller. I'll give him credit for 5 goals this season, 3 in one game (laughton got his ass in the way and took credit for one). But officially he has 4, 2 in one game.

I don't see where you're giving him credit for the  "off TK's sweater" goal in that group of words. 

That goal was ultimately credited to #11 as it should be it touched him last. It was a seed from Giroux though.