Game 14: Flyers at Capitals; 2/9/21 @ 6; CSP

Howie58

Greetings:

We are favorites (-125) in this matchup, and have played well against the Caps over the last few seasons:

https://pickdawgz.com/nhl-picks/2021-02-09/philadelphia-flyers-at-washington-capitals-2-9-21-nhl-picks-and-prediction

Moose is in goal.  With Sanheim in COVID protocol, there should be some interesting D-juggling.  

With two games cancelled, each remaining one is more important.  I hope we take advantage of a banged-up squad.

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

We are favorites (-125) in this matchup, and have played well against the Caps over the last few seasons:

https://pickdawgz.com/nhl-picks/2021-02-09/philadelphia-flyers-at-washington-capitals-2-9-21-nhl-picks-and-prediction

Moose is in goal.  With Sanheim in COVID protocol, there should be some interesting D-juggling.  

With two games cancelled, each remaining one is more important.  I hope we take advantage of a banged-up squad.

I heard on the news this morning that the Devils games were 'postponed' not cancelled. I'm not sure how this works, or when they could even squeeze them in to make them up (double-header?).  This is all so confusing. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

I heard on the news this morning that the Devils games were 'postponed' not cancelled. I'm not sure how this works, or when they could even squeeze them in to make them up (double-header?).  This is all so confusing. 

Oh yeah, all these games across the league are postponed, not cancelled.

I was looking at the New Jersey schedule and noticed in some cased they've added the games to create a string of THREE consecutive.  In some cases, it looks like games before or after those sets were moved a day up or back to make room so there's not three consecutive nights.   I think it's a little easier to move games since most arenas have no gate (I think all, but as I'm writing I'm not sure about Taliban-controlled Florida).  

But yeah, the last part of this season will be a really exhausting grind for many of the teams in the US (as opposed to the Canadian teams who seem to understand how to operate).  

I forget where I saw it, but I read an article about a week or so ago that there was talk of pausing the season altogether to wait on the vaccine and then resuming with an altered, 40-game schedule.   I haven't seen anything about that since.   I'm sorry, I don't remember the source.

1 hour ago, fan4ever said:

Well the good news is they will get some rest and some much needed practice in especially on the power play that has been unwatchable.

• Like 1

Game cancelled for tonight.  Gonna be a long week.

Would be nice to penalize the team that is the reason for cancellation... Assuming it was the capitals fault  😀

Edited by Digityman
  • Like 2

Greetings:

Yes, looks like it:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/source-flyers-capitals-game-headed-postponement-because-covid-protocols

It will be interesting to see how this mess plays out in coming weeks.  Do they try a "make-up" schedule prior to playoffs?  Do they write these games off?  They probably want some equality of games played among teams prior to the playoffs.  

The league is apparently losing billions this year.  Maybe Bettmann and the NHLPA really don't care about missed games at this juncture.  They just want to get in a chunk, expecting this would happen without a bubble.  It's a mess.  We need mass vaccinations and smart behavior, otherwise we'll be facing this crap through August.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

We need mass vaccinations and smart behavior, otherwise we'll be facing this crap through August.  

This whole COVID scenario has been one huge failure after another right from the start in the US.

The entire country has fatigue from the virus.  

We've had a year to get the behavior right and 'merica can't seem to keep it's nose where it needs to be. The behavior horse appears to have left the barn. The stunning lack of leadership at the outset and continued misinformation since has insured modified behavior will not be a viable mitigation technique.

One would think, the NHL could buy some vaccine, vaccinate the players, then use the arena facilities for mass vaccination sites to foster goodwill & make up for jumping the line.

One thing that can be lauded is the development and production of an effective vaccine.

The complete abdication of responsibility and lack of imagination surround the action of getting shots into arms lessens that success.

I would think it wise to shut down the league for two weeks, hard quarantine for those who wish to continue to play, pick up where the league left off with vaccinated players.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Digityman said:

Game cancelled for tonight.  Gonna be a long week.

Would be nice to penalize the team that is the reason for cancellation... Assuming it was the capitals fault  😀

It’s not the Caps. ☹️

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30867395/washington-capitals-philadelphia-flyers-postponed-due-covid

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I would think it wise to shut down the league for two weeks, hard quarantine for those who wish to continue to play, pick up where the league left off with vaccinated players.

I understand setting the bar at 65+ and the vulnerable for vaccinations, but at this juncture, any willing arm would add to the fight. I'd go in a heartbeat if it were available. Unfortunately, it has been rationed and as a 63 year old, I wonder about mid-year.  I haven't seen my family since February '20, but a long drive and/or a flight seems risky, and the quarantine provisions make it tricky.  Seeing the behavior in Tampa after the game was pretty upsetting.

The idea of vaccinating athletes makes sense given the entertainment/morale factor. But--I guess they queue up with the rest of the youngins.  

As for the NHL, I wonder about playoffs without a bubble.  How the heck will they operate without it?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The idea of vaccinating athletes makes sense given the entertainment/morale factor. But--I guess they queue up with the rest of the youngins.  

As for the NHL, I wonder about playoffs without a bubble.  How the heck will they operate without it?

At the rate they’re going, they’ll all have the antibodies by then so there won’t be anything to worry about!

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well the good news is they will get some rest and some much needed practice in especially on the power play that has been unwatchable.

I don't think they can even practice if they are shut down because of Covid.  I think the Devils are just able to practice this week.

1 hour ago, albertaflyer said:

I don't think they can even practice if they are shut down because of Covid.  I think the Devils are just able to practice this week.

Didn't think about that.

So I guess they can rest up watch some Netflix on the coach and fatten up.

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think the North division should be allowed to play on. A reward to the fans and players up here for taking covid seriously.