Game 11: Bruins at Flyers; 2/3/21 @ 8, NBCSN

Howie58

Almost every game this year opponents look like they are 10x faster to every puck in the Flyers zone. When they do manage to get to a puck first it’s a soft out attempt or blind pass through the slot in front of Hart/Elliott which is usually almost always a turnover. I don’t understand how they continue to get pinned in their zone for extended periods while 5v5.

Am I to believe the talent level of every team they have played so far is that more superior?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Almost every game this year opponents look like they are 10x faster to every puck in the Flyers zone. When they do manage to get to a puck first it’s a soft out attempt or blind pass through the slot in front of Hart/Elliott which is usually almost always a turnover. I don’t understand how they continue to get pinned in their zone for extended periods while 5v5.

Am I to believe the talent level of every team they have played so far is that more superior?

I don't think you're wrong here!  I just think that the adage 'better lucky than good' has been us.  Of course our luck will not hold out forever and we better get our **** together quickly.  

And Scott Laughton needs to sit for any number of games!  Question is...did his penalty cost us the game and do we play Moose Friday night?   Not that I am blaming Hart but we don't want the Bruins in his head!

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Pastranak was the difference

He was. One guy owned them. It started 12 seconds into the game.

Look i know i am going to all this bullsh it excuses from you name it after i say this but it all starts with a mind set.

And i know in the example Ghost isn't the biggest or most physical guy on this team but it starts with taking the body sometimes to keep the opposition from making you a highlight in his game review.

But in this instance the guy tries to dangle around you it this instance but you know if you hit him (which news flash you're allowed to do) but if you put a hip into him to put him on his ass or at least reroute him this doesn't end up in the net.

But Ghost doesn't he makes the brain dead attempt at going for the puck.

WHY???

Because this team defensemen matadors just flash the red cape towards the bull and just pull it away at the last second to give uncontested entrance into their zone at will.

And i have seen Ghost be physical before and you don't have to blow someone up but goddamn why would you just allow him to go around you like that bro??

This in a nut shell is what is wrong with this very soft afraid of contact team.

Until it changes they will continue to get beat.

Excuses makers you know who you are the time is yours....

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Because this team defensemen matadors just flash the red cape towards the bull and just pull it away at the last second to give uncontested entrance into their zone at will.

OLE’

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

Sad;y. this is a question we have been asking for sizable chunks of the decade we've been on this board.  Last night, we played well for the first 10 minutes. Then it began to deteriorate. If the empty netter hit, we might have held on.  Yikes.  

• Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

This team...:blink[1]:

They could be pretty good if they'd only take their collective heads out of their arses.

Harts confidence can only take so much.

I know.

I know they are tied for the NHL lead with 16 points but it is with smoke and mirrors.

They have made many mistakes and have played well for stretches but can't even put together one compete game from start to finish.

And I know folks like @WordsOfWisdom will say we're spoiled and to some degree I agree. But no I am not lower my expectations on them.

Last I checked they have never won a Cup since I have followed them. So no I am not spoiled I think. High standards sure.

But this team has so much to get better at and they need to fix this to maintain their spot in the standings.

Do better Flyers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

They have made many mistakes and have played well for stretches but can't even put together one compete game from start to finish.

This is the part I can't wrap my head around. I get when some players don't show up for an entire game. But this is an entire team effort, or lack thereof, game after game after game. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

This is the part I can't wrap my head around. I get when some players don't show up for an entire game. But this is an entire team effort, or lack thereof, game after game after game. 

Can they bench the team and call up the Phantoms?? Asking for a friend...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know.

I know they are tied for the NHL lead with 16 points but it is with smoke and mirrors.

And I know folks like @WordsOfWisdom will say we're spoiled and to some degree I agree. But no I am not lower my expectations on them.

Last I checked they have never won a Cup since I have followed them.

The way I see it is like this:

• If a team can win a championship that's outstanding. (Takes both skill and some luck.)
  • If a team can't win a championship, then at least making the playoffs means the team was entertaining to watch during the season.

So, as an NHL fan, all you really ask is that your team make the playoffs every season. Making the playoffs = a passing grade. That's the 50% mark in the NHL. Once you're into the playoffs, you want them to win it all, but only one team can win so it's not reasonable to expect a championship every year. 

By that basic barometer of success, the Flyers, Bruins, Canadiens, and Blues always meet the playoff criteria. They're always entertaining to watch during the regular season. They never have down years and they never ice teams that are truly unwatchable. They're always in the playoff mix (even if only for a round) so at least it's something every year, and some years it's a whole lot more than that.

Now if we contrast that with a team like the Leafs, they went through a period of 10 years without making the playoffs. They were dead and buried by December, and that's really saying something in an NHL where it's harder to MISS the playoffs than it is to MAKE them.  They were the very definition of unwatchable, and they still drew sell out crowds in Toronto...... which lends credence to the theory that previous Leafs management wasn't even trying to win. They simply had no incentive to do so, whereas Flyers fans won't watch their team if they're not playing .600 hockey. That means the Flyers organization has to ice a championship calibre team every year or play in front of an empty arena. Pretty good motivation to compete. Maybe Canadian hockey fans would have more championship parades to attend if we held our teams to that same standard.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

With the exception of NAK you are right a bunch of softies.

NAK has been bringing the wood but he can't do it alone.

I cant display how much i like this post

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure why they are indifferent to getting their noses dirty

As a group, they just aren't that type of team. I think they assembled this group to match the new style NHL.  A bunch of medium level grinders, and playmaking wingers. 

How many more seasons before they realize it doesnt work

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Epic collapse followed by a dumb ass penalty by Laughton. AV needs to sit him for that stupid ****

Im so tired of Laughton. He makes me love NAK like hes the 2nd coming of Bobby Clarke

He'd look really good in a trade package...if anyone would want him

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

By that basic barometer of success, the Flyers, Bruins, Canadiens, and Blues always meet the playoff criteria. They're always entertaining to watch during the regular season. They never have down years and they never ice teams that are truly unwatchable. They're always in the playoff mix (even if only for a round) so at least it's something every year, and some years it's a whole lot more than that.

I beg to differ about the Flyers...they have been VERY difficult to watch for almost a decade.  BORING and haven't won a playoff round since '11-'12 except last season.

I try to watch most games but, save for about 10 games a season over that period, they have been mostly horrible to watch...JMHO

...last season being an exception.

7 hours ago, Samifan said:

3 reasons they live most of the game in their own end. First, the system they play is all 5 guys turtle in the slot. 2nd, there is no physical threat whatsoever, opponents run about with immunity knowing they won't get hit.  3rd, I don't know if its hockey IQ or just poor first step quickness (or both) because they react very slowly as the play proceeds. Thats my humble opinion.