Game 9: Islanders at Flyers; 1/30/21 @ 7, CSP

Howie58

41 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

Hey, but they are winning, I'll take it but they can't keep this up, can they?

Good Afternoon:

There is a big debate on this online.  Some see AV's benching of TK as recognition it can't.  Others say our goaltending and D aren't so bad.  Either way, it is hard to watch.  We can win 3 x 3 with the Islanders because we aren't as "trappable."  How this pans out tonight and in coming days, can't say.  Our inability to get out of our zone reminds me of the bad squads in the early 2000's or just after '07, when we couldn't get the reality of a new game with new rules.  After a decade+ of drafts and trades, I'd expect better.  I still think we need a really dynamic first line that can turn a trap on its head.  But that may be a year or two off. Meanwhile, we keep fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 12:24 PM, Howie58 said:

Good Afternoon:

There is a big debate on this online.  Some see AV's benching of TK as recognition it can't.  Others say our goaltending and D aren't so bad.  Either way, it is hard to watch.  We can win 3 x 3 with the Islanders because we aren't as "trappable."  How this pans out tonight and in coming days, can't say.  Our inability to get out of our zone reminds me of the bad squads in the early 2000's or just after '07, when we couldn't get the reality of a new game with new rules.  After a decade+ of drafts and trades, I'd expect better.  I still think we need a really dynamic first line that can turn a trap on its head.  But that may be a year or two off. Meanwhile, we keep fingers crossed. 

Flyers do need one of them Barzal types, that dude is good...they never quite replaced Briere have they?) 

Flyers are a good team but no one I see  as a top ten guy, someone who gets the puck when they have to get a goal.  Giroux WAS that guy, hope Patrick can become that guy though I'm not hopeful ......hey Farabee showed up last night big time, maybe he can get it done.

• Like 1

@Cheesesteak

there is a post in the I think the prospects thread by @elmatus where he talks about the quality and ability of our young players, especially the draft picks and what are realistic expectations for them.  

My take away from it is, the Flyers have never been bad enough at the right time to get a Barzal type. The two times they were in the lottery they got JvR who was not Patrick Kane and Nolan Patrick who has had an odd beginning to his NHL career. 

I think Pat is not a finished product and I feel like I see him gaining confidence and figuring out how to be an effective top 6 player. 

It's tough to tell which 17 year old is going to be a stud playing against men in 5 years. One thing I think the Flyers would do well to prioritize in their drafts is speed. Barzal is a jet, that can't be taught. 

I like our players I think you do to, I think unless we're looking at a no brainer Sidney Crosby or Connor MacDavid type prospect, who the hell knows what a kid will turn into.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@Cheesesteak

there is a post in the I think the prospects thread by @elmatus where he talks about the quality and ability of our young players, especially the draft picks and what are realistic expectations for them.  

My take away from it is, the Flyers have never been bad enough at the right time to get a Barzal type. The two times they were in the lottery they got JvR who was not Patrick Kane and Nolan Patrick who has had an odd beginning to his NHL career. 

I think Pat is not a finished product and I feel like I see him gaining confidence and figuring out how to be an effective top 6 player. 

It's tough to tell which 17 year old is going to be a stud playing against men in 5 years. One thing I think the Flyers would do well to prioritize in their drafts is speed. Barzal is a jet, that can't be taught. 

I like our players I think you do to, I think unless we're looking at a no brainer Sidney Crosby or Connor MacDavid type prospect, who the hell knows what a kid will turn into.

You can’t teach speed and you can’t teach goal scoring, Barzal sure is a wizard. In 2015 we took Provorov with the 7th pick , the Isles took Barzal with the 16th pick. We made the right choice for sure, we needed a stud dman . it’s just too bad the Isles got Barzal and he isn’t on a different team in another division. One thing I look at is when we passed on a dynamic goal scorer like Caufiled , I hope that is not gonna come back to haunt us. We traded down and picked two good players, but we may have passed up on a great player, who really fit a need  that this team has been lacking for a long time. It just seems that we never go for the 

pure offensive dynamo type of player. 

• Like 2