Game 8: Flyers and Devils; 1/28/21 @ 7 PM, CSP

Howie58

34 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Seriously, the ice and/or the players make for disheveled play. That said, the 4th line works. 

Well they found a way to win....an ugly one no doubt.

Rest up two home games vs the Isles up next.

Guess we'll see where they stand by then...

That may have been the ugliest, least deserved win I've ever seen the Flyers get. Everyone sucked except Hart and Prosser. I don't think I've seen worse passing at any level. 

It's a win...we'll take it. They can't play worse than that...can they?

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

That may have been the ugliest, least deserved win I've ever seen the Flyers get. Everyone sucked except Hart and Prosser. I don't think I've seen worse passing at any level. 

I thought the 2nd Boston game was worse passing.  Guess we have different eyes.   Good to get the points.  Saturday might be ugly.

You can only hope to contain Nate Prosser,  ain't no one stopping that guy!

Another way to to look at this team right now is, They're winning games by playing less than 1 period of good hockey a night.

Now that is efficiency personified.

I say this tongue-in-cheek of course. 

Things could be a lot worse, A. Lot. Worse.

Even though they spent far too much time in their D-zone. How many miracle saves did Hart make? I can think of 2 plus that spinning puck head hunter that hit the crossbar in the 3rd which was a result of a good bounce for the Devils.

I'm sure there are stats about the "high danger" chances. I don't remember thinking, "Wow Hart's really pulling some miracle **** here".

That said, teen girl Mojo asked to watch figure skating after Prosser tied it up, and I said sure. So I was only half paying attention to the game on my phone. It's easy to tune out when the boys look dumb and slow, I don't think outside of Bobby Hagg who appears to be both this season, and Justin "the Glacier" Braun there are many who actually qualify for those titles.

I applaud AV for stapling Hayes, Voracek , Koneckny, JvR et al.  to the bench in the 3rd period.  They were all terrible last night, Patrick was merely bad so he actually saw ice in the 3rd and did make a nice play on the Giroux goal. 

His post game presser comments lead me to believe he would kill them at practice today so he wisely cancelled it. 

The Islanders are scraping along, and not playing well yet either, let's see if this group can take advantage of that this weekend. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'll take it. Remember when the Devils used to do this to the Flyers. Flyers would outplay them badly for two periods but they had Brodeur.  Then the Devils would score a couple in the third.  Hart looked like himself last night.  I'm not to worried about this team. I've always said you don't know what you have until at least 15 - 20 games in. But you can tell they miss Niskanen. A guy that eats up over 20 minutes a night is hard to replace.  If I was Fletcher I would be on the phone every day to Niskanen. One thing I know about pro hockey players. It's hard for them to just stop playing.   Or if the Penguins start to suck I would be on the phone about Letang. Makes a lot but he's the exact type of D man their missing.

• Good Post 1

3 hours ago, Digityman said:

I thought the 2nd Boston game was worse passing.  Guess we have different eyes.   Good to get the points.  Saturday might be ugly.

I missed that one Dig. 

Yes, we'll take the points and hope they get on track.

I believe we either do, or tomorrows game will be a total beatdown.

5 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

I'll take it. Remember when the Devils used to do this to the Flyers. Flyers would outplay them badly for two periods but they had Brodeur.  Then the Devils would score a couple in the third.  Hart looked like himself last night.  I'm not to worried about this team. I've always said you don't know what you have until at least 15 - 20 games in. But you can tell they miss Niskanen. A guy that eats up over 20 minutes a night is hard to replace.  If I was Fletcher I would be on the phone every day to Niskanen. One thing I know about pro hockey players. It's hard for them to just stop playing.   Or if the Penguins start to suck I would be on the phone about Letang. Makes a lot but he's the exact type of D man their missing.

I agree with you on the Devils stroll down memory lane. I guess it is nice watching your team win games they don't deserve to solely on the goalie. So ya, we'll take it.

I really don't think Letang is what we need. We have a lot of offensive defencemen. Some are pretty offensive to watch defensively. I'd like to see Hart get some help back there. Letang is just more of the same, albeit better offence. At a way higher price.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess i won't say much about them right now.

5-2-1 when they are playing terrible is all you can ask i guess.

However whatever it takes they have to dig deep and get back to playing solid cohesive team hockey.

I keep Prosser in the lineup. He deserves it and the guys love him.

They can spin the bottle on who sits.

• Like 1

Happy for the Prossenator...

This i why i love this kid he owns it....it's the only way you get better.

I still say Gus didn't help his chances....shouldn't have put his stick in there i think even @Podein25 said the same thing. Either way i love it he didn't blame anyone else put it on him. That is a man.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Happy for the Prossenator...

This i why i love this kid he owns it....it's the only way you get better.

I still say Gus didn't help his chances....shouldn't have put his stick in there i think even @Podein25 said the same thing. Either way i love it he didn't blame anyone else put it on him. That is a man.

Whether tipped or not, Gus played that very poorly. And I rarely blame goalies for shots that go in off the post like that...it was a nice shot.

• Like 2

I didn't watch every second of last nights game it was hard on the eyes but when i did Ghost impressed me...i'm not every minute but it gives me hope he can find a spot here.

I'm happy for the kid. Keep the together. The Isles are going to a great test.

Greetings:

Several pundits note we had no pre-season and limited training camp, leading to sloppy play league-wide.  If you think about it, we probably finished the "pre-season" about now.  The O and B need to settle lines and D pairings as soon as possible.  Prosser may be a better 7th man than Hagg, but let's not jump to conclusions after one game.  Meanwhile, we have more shuffling once Myers returns. If Ghost and Provorov work, fine.  Gus may be an very expensive seventh man.  If nothing else, you give Fletcher some credit for going back to his Minnesota past and bringing the guy into the system.  As for Gus, his shot on goal was hard to handle and led to the scoring scramble.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

As for Gus, his shot on goal was hard to handle and led to the scoring scramble.  

Howie,

I've seen Gustafsson referred to as a high-risk/high-reward player quite frequently on the Twitter bird app. I think this is true. 

His terrible blue line defense gave Seiverson the great look for the NJ goal. However his skill, vision and shot assisted on Flyer 2 goals. The pass/shot to Giroux in the 3rd was especially lovely.

If the coaches can find a way to minimize the risk with this guy he might yet work out. I can see why teams have passed on him and other fanbases have had grand mal seizures when they talk about his play. 

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Howie,

I've seen Gustafsson referred to as a high-risk/high-reward player quite frequently on the Twitter bird app. I think this is true. 

His terrible blue line defense gave Seiverson the great look for the NJ goal. However his skill, vision and shot assisted on Flyer 2 goals. The pass/shot to Giroux in the 3rd was especially lovely.

If the coaches can find a way to minimize the risk with this guy he might yet work out. I can see why teams have passed on him and other fanbases have had grand mal seizures when they talk about his play. 

It's a good point. We have to remember that these players are all pros. They are good, smart hockey players. So much of what determines success has to do with pairings, chemistry, support etc. Gus and Ghost could both thrive in the right situation. More than anything else, what we need is an experienced but still mobile D-man, preferably with some size/reach/snarl, to stabilize this group Braun 5 years ago prolly coulda been that guy, he's not now. I think this is a solvable problem. 

• Like 3