Game 7: Flyers at Devils; 1/26/21 @ 7, CSP

Howie58

Damn JVR leads the team in goals with 5 ok tied with TK but still???

HOLY SH!T TRADE HIM FOR REAL!!!!!!!!!

Elliott 938%

Hart 880%

What a cruel world.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working

I'm glad JVR had his Wheaties.  Elliott kept us in when we were being overrun. Ghost > Gus. Hayes does a lot of little things well.  Patrick is showing signs of growth.  All of that said, we really seem to have a tough time getting the puck out of our zone at times.  We are OK, not great.  Two points count, even ugly. 

• Like 2

If not for the crossbar it would have been an OT game.  There were some sustained periods of actual Flyers hockey but it wasn't looking good in the first period.  2nd was better and they held their own in the 3rd.  

I don't understand their breakouts.  Hagg/Braun/Freidman and even Sanheim on occasion were just throwing it up the boards for a turnover way to often.  There was one controlled breakout that looked good and even JJ/Jones said something like "That's the way you do it".  The fact that there are that few decent breakouts is concerning.   I'm assuming that's just not following AV's system?   Is it them still getting their legs?   Concerning nevertheless.   Maybe it really easy they aren't in form yet because the dump and chase they excelled at last year isn't resulting in sustained pressure this year - yet.

I know I'm all alone on this but I'm still not sold on Farabee.  A majority of his goals are either open nets where others do the work or it hits off him.   I'm aware that he needs to be in the right spot, get to the dirty areas and all those other hockey words.  But I've still not seen him create for his line mates.  Which is fine but if you don't create you need to be a finisher.   And I haven't seen that yet either.   I know he's young and has only played 59 games in the NHL.   I'm totally routing for the kid and want him to succeed but all I'm saying is I don't see what other see - yet.     /rant

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Digityman said:

If not for the crossbar it would have been an OT game. 

If my aunt had any balls, she'd be my uncle!

Robert Hagg has been a 1 man momentum killing machine this season.

All the stupid icings he takes, all the passes away from his support. He's been really bad this year.

21 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I know I'm all alone on this but I'm still not sold on Farabee

well he is 20, about to turn 21, chances are he's a finished product.  ammirite? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

If my aunt had any balls, she'd be my uncle!

Robert Hagg has been a 1 man momentum killing machine this season.

All the stupid icings he takes, all the passes away from his support. He's been really bad this year.

well he is 20, about to turn 21, chances are he's a finished product.  ammirite? 

and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass a-hoppin'.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2c808b72-2dc3-4c30-809b-bc731488d985

Edited by mkscrewy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

JVR first star of the game?? Trade him now his value will never be higher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:love:

This is what has always pissed me off about him. When he tries, he's actually a pretty good player. He's even been, dare I say...physical ...this season. I'm not sure what's going on with him, but it's about friggin' time. Now if we can get the rest of the team to take their collective heads out of their arses....

2 hours ago, Digityman said:

If not for the crossbar it would have been an OT game.  There were some sustained periods of actual Flyers hockey but it wasn't looking good in the first period.  2nd was better and they held their own in the 3rd.  

Totally agree.

I don't understand their breakouts.  Hagg/Braun/Freidman and even Sanheim on occasion were just throwing it up the boards for a turnover way to often.  There was one controlled breakout that looked good and even JJ/Jones said something like "That's the way you do it".  The fact that there are that few decent breakouts is concerning.   I'm assuming that's just not following AV's system?   Is it them still getting their legs?   Concerning nevertheless.   Maybe it really easy they aren't in form yet because the dump and chase they excelled at last year isn't resulting in sustained pressure this year - yet.

They look like a very mediocre, at  best, team. Nothing like the one that finishes the regular season and started the round robin. More like the one that got finished in the playoffs.

I know I'm all alone on this but I'm still not sold on Farabee.  A majority of his goals are either open nets where others do the work or it hits off him.   I'm aware that he needs to be in the right spot, get to the dirty areas and all those other hockey words.  But I've still not seen him create for his line mates.  Which is fine but if you don't create you need to be a finisher.   And I haven't seen that yet either.   I know he's young and has only played 59 games in the NHL.   I'm totally routing for the kid and want him to succeed but all I'm saying is I don't see what other see - yet.     /rant

I like Farabees game. He'll never be a star, but he usually plays hard all over the rink. I think he's coming along just fine. 

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

They look like a very mediocre, at  best, team. Nothing like the one that finishes the regular season and started the round robin. More like the one that got finished in the playoffs.

I can't argue with this.

I will say, they're above water  this slow start, stretch of injuries and subsequent bad play hasn't buried them.

That gives me some hope that we're not looking at the team's ceiling. 

• Like 2

I know I'm all alone on this but I'm still not sold on Farabee.

Honestly there are a few i'm not sold on.

However remember he is till just 20 years old and playing on his off wing for the first time in his career.

This could take some time and i was also reading Oskar struggle in this game too.

My biggest issue is the supposed vets. Seems AV went out his way to pump G up.

So if the vets aren't showing up and helping settle things down to me that is an issue.

Also read that even though they won it wasn't the best game for Elliott.

38 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

This is what has always pissed me off about him. When he tries, he's actually a pretty good player. He's even been, dare I say...physical ...this season. I'm not sure what's going on with him, but it's about friggin' time. Now if we can get the rest of the team to take their collective heads out of their arses....

Oh i totally agree....i know we kid about it all the time but this time i mean it.

Trade him now his value will never be higher!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I like Farabees game. He'll never be a star, but he usually plays hard all over the rink. I think he's coming along just fine

This is the issue. There are too many players who fit this definition on the team

You cant win in the playoffs with a roster full of good players who work hard

When was the last time the Flyers developed a dominant offensive player? Giroux?

And the view from my TV says Ghost still looks like a mess despite his +2 rating.  I hate his stupid wind-up pose as he awaits the puck coming to him and his constant tapping of his stick like he has an open shot.  Then he tries those slap passes that go zipping by the breaking wingers.  Sorry, but I think Hagg is much less detrimental than #53.  Should've traded him a year ago even if you get nothing more than a fourth rounder.  Meanwhile, they still need to make a big move to bring in a legit top pairing defenseman.  They have plenty of prospects they can package.

42 minutes ago, Poconono said:

Sorry, but I think Hagg is much less detrimental than #53. 

I was more inclined to agree with you until I read this.

Hagg has been terrible, a one-man, momentum-killing, icing machine. He's made so many bad plays in his end in just 7 games. Ghost might play 30 games before he passes away from his support or ices the puck with no pressure as much as Hagg has.

Pick a different player. Hagg's been the worst of the whole underperforming bunch. 

Edited by mojo1917