Flyers at Panthers, 24/1/2012

Guest brelic

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-12412--Panthers/45/41583

PREVIEW 6:00 AM EST

In their final game before the NHL All-Star break, the Flyers (28-14-5) will travel to Sunrise, FL to take on the Florida Panthers (22-15-10). Tonight's game starts at 7:30 PM EST and will be broadcast locally on CSN Philly.

The game marks the second of four meetings between the teams this season, and the final one in the Sunshine State. On Nov. 13, the Flyers prevailed, 3-2, behind 31 saves from Ilya Bryzgalov and goals by Danny Briere, Braydon Coburn, and Matt Read (penalty shot after a shorthanded breakaway).

Philly's regulation win snapped a 4-0-2 streak for Florida, which was coming off impressive road wins in Toronto and Winnipeg and entered the game clicking on the power play at a 24.1 percent success rate. Philly blanked Kevin Dineen's club on seven power play opportunities, including a four-minute advantage on a Max Talbot high sticking infraction. Evgeny Dadonov and Tomas Fleischmann scored even strength goals for Florida, while goalie Jose Theodore stopped 32 shots in a losing cause.

Entering tonight's game the Flyers remain undermanned, playing without skilled forwards Briere (concussion), Jaromir Jagr (groin pull) and James van Riemsdyk (concussion). Over the weekend, the Flyers gritted out a regulation victory in New Jersey and then battled the Boston Bruins to a 5-5 deadlock before the Bruins prevailed in a shootout.

Scott Hartnell, who scored two goals in the Devils game, electrified the Wells Fargo Center with a natural hat trick in the second period of Sunday's game against the Bruins. Talbot also chipped in a pair of goals on an intended pass than bounced into the net and his own tip-in of a Matt Carle shot.

In addition to aforementioned trio of injured players, the Flyers remain without Zac Rinaldo (IR, neck). The team is likely to use the same lineup as Sunday.

Florida, meanwhile, has won just three of its last 10 games (3-4-3) but is coming off a 4-3 win over Winnipeg on Sunday. Ex-Flyers forward Kris Versteeg had a huge game, with two goals and an assist. On the injury front, both Ed Jovanovski (broken hand) and Dmitry Kulikov (undisclosed) will be missing from the Panthers' blueline tonight.

PROJECTED LINEUPS (subject to change)

FLYERS

Hartnell - Giroux - Schenn

Read - Couturier - Simmonds

Sestito - Talbot - Voracek

Zolnierczyk - Holmstrom - Shelley

Timonen - Coburn

Carle - Bourdon

Gustafsson - Meszaros

Bryzgalov/Bobrovsky

PANTHERS

Fleischmann - Weiss - Versteeg

Samuelsson - Goc - Kopecky

Upshall - Mattias - Bradley

Barch - Santorelli - Bergenheim

Garrison - Campbell

Strachan - Gudbranson

Ellerby - Weaver

Theodore/Clemmensen

2010 - 2011

Carcillo - Richards - Zherdev

Hartnell - Briere - Leino

JVR - Carter - Versteeg

Powe - Betts - Nodl

2011-2012

Amazing what a difference a year can make.

(My 2010-2011 lines look off but can't figure out why)

2010 - 2011

JVR - Carter - Versteeg

Powe - Betts - Nodl

2011-2012

9 of 12 forwards gone from that list. I realized the team was overhauled but never paid THAT close attention to exactly how many. If i was to guess, off the top of my head without running through the lines mentally, I don't think I would've guessed 9...

2010 - 2011

JVR - Carter - Versteeg

Powe - Betts - Nodl

2011-2012

You've got Giroux on D.

Decent effort tonight by the Flyers, I guess every game can't be like playing the Bruins. Ot here, but MAF has started 22 games in a row for the Pengy's and in tonights game against the Blues he made a couple of huge saves in ot to get them the extra point in a s/o. He has played in 42 games so far this year, burn out by the end of the year maybe? 34 games to go, I would say to give Bryz the majority of starts, give Bob's say 10 or 11 more starts. They have to get Bryz in a groove starting after the all star break. Start him 8 or 9 games in a row, no matter who the opponent is. Like it or not, he is the guy Lavy will be counting on to carry us into the p/o's.

Decent effort tonight by the Flyers, I guess every game can't be like playing the Bruins. Ot here, but MAF has started 22 games in a row for the Pengy's and in tonights game against the Blues he made a couple of huge saves in ot to get them the extra point in a s/o. He has played in 42 games so far this year, burn out by the end of the year maybe? 34 games to go, I would say to give Bryz the majority of starts, give Bob's say 10 or 11 more starts. They have to get Bryz in a groove starting after the all star break. Start him 8 or 9 games in a row, no matter who the opponent is. Like it or not, he is the guy Lavy will be counting on to carry us into the p/o's.

NEVER!

Viva la Résistance!

• Like 1

Some days I wish to Doom, but I can't see them letting the $51 million dollar man ride the pine in the p/o's. I say they try to get him going, if all else fails there is always Bob. Bryz is Snider's baby though, he will want to see what he is made of come p/o time. To try and trade Bryz may be a lil far fetched with the term of his contract, but if they were to sweeten the deal with a prospect or 2, slim chance something gets done.

If we rode Bryz like the Pens do Fleury, playoffs isn't something we'd have to worry about.

@flyercanuck

what's odd to me about the pens situation is ...i don't know about this year... but in the past Johnson has been very solid as the backup most nights when he'd play you would only notice that the puckhandling from the goalkeeper was better.

i think blysma is doing a great job again this year he's getting the most out of that roster, that without crosby doesn't have a whole lot of players you think of in a sentence that has the word talented in front of it. MAF, stall, malkin, letang, and that's about it for guys i'd want from that team, there are some hardnosed guys that buy into blysma's style and are rewarded for it. i think though because there's a significant talent drop off after the top 5 or so guys there's no extra gear for them in the playoffs.

FC: There is a lot of uncertainty's this year with goaltending, Ed and Homer can't be feeling to comfortable right now. Usually when Homer starts denying reports, something always happens. Then there is the Pronger issue, Kimmo is probably gone after next season, Carle is probably gone after this season, plus no one knows who is our number 1 goalie. You have to think Homer's going to make a splash by the deadline.