2020 NHL Draft - RD 1 #23: Tyson Foerster (RW)

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes he will be fine. They need a guy whonis going to take a shot and more importantly a guy who can get it on net.

I like it. Now we'll see in 3 years if it was worth it.

Noticed that the Flyers have quietly added more size to the wings. That's three big wingers now in the pipeline - Ratcliffe, Alison and Foerster. Add in Lindblom and they've got some real good size on the wings. I thought Fletcher was gonna Chuck this up, but they played it safe. And let's be honest, the Flyers scouts are pretty much bang on with first round assessments of players. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this. They have certainly earned it.

6 hours ago, AJgoal said:

@flyercanuck Watch Foerster a lot? Thoughts?

Well we don't have to worry about him shooting, cause that's what he does. Great one timer a la Ovechkin (I'm not saying he's that good but he's probably the best in the draft). I'm going to say I saw him score 10 goals last season where the goalie didn't get a chance to budge before the puck was already back out of the net. But it's not the only shot he has..great wrister, snap, he's just an excellent shooter.

But he's also a very good passer and has a lot of hockey smarts. Plays well in the neutral zone. Looks like he loves to play as well, which is important as far as I'm concerned (see JVR). He's already got NHL size too.

Now the bad news....his skating is pretty bad. I was kind of hoping we'd take Perrault when he was still there but we have plenty of play makers with more coming up. If Foerster could skate he would easily have been a top ten pick. Hopefully they can fix that...they did it with Lindblom.

Since they were scouting Foerster, I'm praying we take Veirling .This kids gonna be a steal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Fletcher: "I think in his own words, (Tyson) would tell you he does have a shoot-first mentality, which certainly didn't upset me."

Ya, you won't have to worry there. Though the kid is a skilled passer, he definitely doesn't have to be told to shoot.

• Like 1

"Big centre whose strong in puck battles and plays a physical game. and projetcs as an NHL right wing.  Has a good vision, playmaking skills, shot and hands. Has one of the heaviest one timers in the draft, setting up on the left side, ala Ovie. Finds his teammates when they better options. But he lacks quickness and agility and gets lost in transition because of it, dumping pucks instead using teammates to keep possession.  Needs to be quicker in his stop / starts, and like Dustin Penner, needs to improve his heavy boots big time. His stand up style translate to a need to become more flexible in the lower body, and needs improvement in his agility and get that stick down on the ice!"

--Bill Placzek

Jacob Barker - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 30th: "His rocket of a shot makes him incredibly dangerous in a variety of offensive situations, particularly his wicked one-timer from the top of the circle. Other than his shot, Foerster does not play an overly flashy style."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Sept. 21st: "Foerster was a driver of offence on a team that needed it in Barrie in 2019-20 and he just kept getting better as the year went along. When it was all said and done, his 80 points ranked fifth among first-year draft eligibles in the OHL."

Chris Peters - ESPN - June 30th: "A solid scorer who gets up and down the ice well, Foerster navigates the offensive zone with great awareness and can work himself into good ice to create chances."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - June 25th: "Has a zest for the game like former Colt Mark Scheifele and a nose for the net like Tanner Pearson did in Barrie. The goal-scoring element is too strong to overlook."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - June 22nd: "His goal-scoring ability stood out at the start of the season and his play continued to develop during the second half and he finished with 80 points (36 goals, 44 assists) in 62 games. The 6-1, 194-pound right-hand shot is a gifted offensive player who consistently puts himself in the right areas of the ice to get into scoring areas and make plays through traffic."

Eddy Jones - The Hockey Writers - May 22nd: "Tyson Foerster has an absolute rocket of a shot and it’s hard to ignore his progression from his rookie season. He went from 10 goals and 23 points in 64 games last year to 36 goals and 80 points in 62 games played this season."

Tony Ferrari - Dobber Prospects - Jan. 29th: "He has a very good shot but outside of that plays a very stable game. He doesn’t ‘wow’ with his skating or transition game but he makes smart plays and attacks the net."

image.png.27a5903eaadba1e4ea9ea3afda8b5260.png

https://thehockeywriters.com/tyson-foerster-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Every season, a number of draft-eligible prospects seem to come out of nowhere to explode on the scene. Their rookie year doesn’t quite go as planned but then they use the summer as motivation and put in the work. This was absolutely the case for Barrie Colts’ forward Tyson Foerster.

Foerster put himself squarely on the draft map on a late September day against the Mississauga Steelheads. He recorded six points including a hat trick. Then he went on a crazy point streak recording points in 13 straight games which including six consecutive multi-point efforts. He was a shining star early in the season. The question that now had to be asked was just how good could he be?

The first thing that sticks out about Foerster is his cannon of a shot. It resembles a little bit of Alex Ovechkin when you watch him. He scored quite a few of his goals from the left circle. By the time the puck was in the net, the goalie barely moved. It’s lethal. He can unleash his shot from any area of the ice and there’s a chance it will go in. While his shot is great, don’t discount his passing. He’s hockey sense allows him to be creative and can find the right play. Offensively there’s hard to find fault in his game.

There are a couple of things I do wonder about. Foerster led the entire OHL in power play goals with 18. That speaks to his shot and finish. But that was half his goal production. Is he too dependent on special teams? Can he put up this kind of scoring at 5-on-5? And many have mentioned his skating. It’s fine but not overwhelming. He can get to the spot. But I’d like to see him improve on the first couple of steps in his stride. In watching him live in a game, that difference in those first few steps separated a good player from a special player. If he can get those strides into his game, the narrative changes in a hurry. Still, whoever lands Foerster will get an offensive talent who will only get better.

“Foerster can finish on scoring chances, which have been clear. He has a steady release on his shot. What has also made him so successful when it comes to scoring is his ability to move undetected by opposing players and find open spots because Tyson is always moving his legs. Foerster is also an excellent passer, which results not only in team scoring chances but is a skill he utilizes with his high hockey IQ to help the team with zone exits.” –Ryan Noble/Very Barrie Colts

“Everyone says that he can’t skate well enough but he gets there. Everyone said he’d drop off after Suzuki left but he keeps scoring. Everyone said he was a borderline selection for the Top Prospects game so he went and got the MVP. Kid is a player.” –Mark Seidel

“Foerster has been rising my personal OHL rankings with each viewing. While the skating is still fairly raw, it’s not really that bad and can be worked on. I’ve seen some flashes of good transition speed from Foerster, though he struggles at beating defenders one on one in pure foot races. Foerster’s shot is the skill that stands out the most for me and behind Perfetti, he has one of the better shots in the OHL for this draft class. While you can never truly predict a player’s growth potential, Foerster seems to me to be one of those cases where, with the proper developmental system, he could outperform his drafted position.” –Dylan Galloway

Strengths

1. Lethal shot
  2. Good passer
  3. Creative
  4. High Hockey IQ

Improvements

1. Acceleration
  2. Overall defensive play

The team Foerster lands on coupled with his development with that team will be a huge factor in the kind of career he will have. At the moment, I see Foerster as a middle-six winger who should flourish on the power play. This potential goes up once he demonstrates he can keep up at the next level and play just as well on the other side of the puck.

• Like 1

Listened to the interview Jason Myrtetus did with him on Flyers Daily. 

The kid sounds like a quality young man. 

Knew he had a place to improve and worked on it over the COVID summer to get better. 

At one point he was saying he can't wait to show everyone how much his skating has improved.

Pretty funny that he's a big Ovechkin fan and "doesn't know much about Philadelphia, honestly"... I think with a 23rd pick and a system full of playmakers he was a decent selection.  His character in just 10 minutes of listening to him comes through, he wants to be great, and knows if he works he can be.  I think this might wind up being a great pick.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

they did it with Lindblom.

And Couturier as well. I can't see why that isn't correctable. Seems like if he wants to get his shot in the NHL he puts full effort into it.

In fact i was reading he has already made improvements during the down time since he has been working on it with all this extra time on his hands. So sounds like he gets it.

I just hope the pick works out we all know the Flyers need a goal scorer...or two.

After two more years of juniors we will see where the kid is at and have a better idea of how far he has came.

Best guess is he will be getting a good look 2022-23 for the Flyers or to be sent down with the Phantoms.

Due to his January birthday he won't be eligible till then plenty of time to watch him grow between now and then.

36 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And Couturier as well. I can't see why that isn't correctable. Seems like if he wants to get his shot in the NHL he puts full effort into it.

In fact i was reading he has already made improvements during the down time since he has been working on it with all this extra time on his hands. So sounds like he gets it.

I just hope the pick works out we all know the Flyers need a goal scorer...or two.

Barrie also traded away quite a bit of their core last season for picks/prospects, leaving Foerster to almost fend for himself. Which he did quite well. They should have a pretty good team for the next couple of years. Watch for Brandt Clarke...he's gonna be a good one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I was kind of hoping we'd take Perrault

Wouldn't have fit in Philly...fans already hate lazy guys who don't play a 200 foot game like Jake...just checks his -34....all those goals scorers they had and he ended up -34....nah...straight pass....he'll fit right in on the Ducks. AV wouldn't have like this kid.

• Like 1

This is slightly off topic, but my "worry" isn't with this pick or that.  I was listening and thought, "s...t, Carolina, NY, and NJ are going to be damn good in the next 2-3 years...Carolina in particular...will we compete in what has to be one of the toughest divisions in all professional sports?"

44 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

This is slightly off topic, but my "worry" isn't with this pick or that.  I was listening and thought, "s...t, Carolina, NY, and NJ are going to be damn good in the next 2-3 years...Carolina in particular...will we compete in what has to be one of the toughest divisions in all professional sports?"

The Rangers and Devils loaded up in this draft. It still kills me that they got so lucky with their lottery picks over the last few years. If Lafraniere and Kakko both reach their potential, that’s a duo that we can’t come close to.  Montreal is also building a good team.The Devils are also loaded with young talent and the Islanders who are very good  already, also have  two highly skilled players coming in this season ,Dobson and Wahlstrom . Unfortunately our two best players are 30 and fading fast and these other teams best players are all young. We have them all beat in goaltending, but we have to somehow get or hope someone develops into a real game changer to match the best players on the other teams.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We have them all beat in goaltending, but we have to somehow get or hope someone develops into a real game changer to match the best players on the other teams.

Hello:

Yep, and that's why we have to wonder it's possible to jettison some of our "elders."  My other observation is that we seem to be going for a defense-first approach (overall, not thinking about last night), while this division, with Carolina at the top, seems to be aiming for blitzkrieg hockey.  

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Hello:

Yep, and that's why we have to wonder it's possible to jettison some of our "elders."  My other observation is that we seem to be going for a defense-first approach (overall, not thinking about last night), while this division, with Carolina at the top, seems to be aiming for blitzkrieg hockey.  

We have to go with goaltending, defense and team play, we don’t t have the firepower to go end to end with some of these other teams , so we have to play a complete team game and out work our opponents . We may have to play boring defensive ,NJ Devils style hockey.We took the Oilers to 7 games in the 87 Cup mostly on hard work and a team game. Their talent level was vastly better than ours , their top 2 centers were Gretzky and Messier, we had Sutter and Zezel. On paper it should have been a blowout, but we had good  leadership, good goaltending, good defense ,our offense was solid, but we didn’t have any superstars. We were well coached and no team worked harder than the Flyers .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Mariposa School of Skating

Oh great, Flyers fans will love watching Tyson do triple Salcows at center ice (followed by a double axel), but we need goal scorers goddamn it!

Edited by Podein25
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Oh great, Flyers fans will love watching Tyson do triple Salcows at center ice (followed by a double axel), but we need goal scorers goddamn it!

He can be both. It'll be just mah-vellous!

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

He can be both. It'll be just mah-vellous!

Lol, it's actually a great story this kid. I hope when he signs his ELC he gives buddy the ex figure skater an appropriate signing fee.

My dad wanted me to take figure skating, said it would make me a better skater and than I was an "idiot" for not considering it and at least trying it. If I had taken his advice I'd have made it to the show probably, lol

Dad was an iconoclast. One year ago he checked out. RIP

10 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, it's actually a great story this kid. I hope when he signs his ELC he gives buddy the ex figure skater an appropriate signing fee.

My dad wanted me to take figure skating, said it would make me a better skater and than I was an "idiot" for not considering it and at least trying it. If I had taken his advice I'd have made it to the show probably, lol

Dad was an iconoclast. One year ago he checked out. RIP

That skating school has produced Olympic medalists like Stoyko, Orser, Chouinard among many others. They get countries from all over the world sending their best to them. It certainly can't hurt him. 

I think the guys I hung around with back then would have beat me if I took figure skating. No wonder Stoyko is a tough bastard.

Sorry about your dad...we're not getting any younger.