Round 1: Flyers vs Canadiens Thread

pilldoc

8 hours ago, Howie58 said:

5. Hagg and Bunnaman will go to the body.

6. I think Grant and probably Pitlick are keepers.  

Pitlick I could see, but Grant may get paid more than he is worth.  At $700k he is a bargain.  He had 15 goals this year in a shortened season so you could end up paying $1.5M per year for multiple years for a guy who may never score like that again.  I think you rely on guys like Bunnaman to  pick up any slack and reassess mid-year.

A few things -

• Pitlick and Raffl have been the two most consistent (best?) players so far outside of Hart.   
  • The good thing about the PP being god awful is that the law of averages comes into play should they make it past the first round.   They can't suck this bad for too much longer before the levees break.
  • I'm not liking how Hayes is playing right now.  Very loose with the puck.  While I know during the season he would try to skate through 2 or 3 people, now might not be the time to do that.  Especially at the blue line.  He cleaned it up yesterday and looked better.  Hopefully that continues.
  • Again, law of averages says that our best players will eventually show up and potentially carry the team for the next few games.   However, secondary scoring and support players was exactly what the Flyers were missing for the past decade.  The fact that Giroux doesn't have to be the best player in the world (here or here).  So while we complain, let's be thankful that they don't have to be.
  • Fun fact - Scott Laughton and Kevin Hayes have the most points (5) this playoffs for the Flyers and are tied for 55th (not a typo) among players in the playoffs this year. 
  • I keep sitting JVR until Farabee stumbles.  
  • Like 1

You cant argue with winning, and the Flyers are one game away from moving on. I was really bugged by the lack of goal scoring and inept powerplay. But, i have to say, those who have made the comparison to the NJ teams of the 90's have pulled me away from pushing someone off the ledge. The final result is winning, and Hart and the defense are the stars of the show. Since we have not had this since Bernie and the boys, it looks wrong (weird) and not what we have come to expect. If they win it all, this style will prove to better than anything we have seen since the BSB days, even though we have had tons of teams to love over the years.

How weird that the Hart of the team is the goalie for a change

Trust the coach

Trust the process

Trust the bourbon

3 minutes ago, Digityman said:

A few things -

• Pitlick and Raffl have been the two most consistent (best?) players so far outside of Hart.   
  • The good thing about the PP being god awful is that the law of averages comes into play should they make it past the first round.   They can't suck this bad for too much longer before the levees break.
  • I'm not liking how Hayes is playing right now.  Very loose with the puck.  While I know during the season he would try to skate through 2 or 3 people, now might not be the time to do that.  Especially at the blue line.  He cleaned it up yesterday and looked better.  Hopefully that continues.
  • Again, law of averages says that our best players will eventually show up and potentially carry the team for the next few games.   However, secondary scoring and support players was exactly what the Flyers were missing for the past decade.  The fact that Giroux doesn't have to be the best player in the world (here or here).  So while we complain, let's be thankful that they don't have to be.
  • Fun fact - Scott Laughton and Kevin Hayes have the most points (5) this playoffs for the Flyers and are tied for 55th (not a typo) among players in the playoffs this year. 
  • I keep sitting JVR until Farabee stumbles.  

FIXED IT!

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

You cant argue with winning, and the Flyers are one game away from moving on. I was really bugged by the lack of goal scoring and inept powerplay. But, i have to say, those who have made the comparison to the NJ teams of the 90's have pulled me away from pushing someone off the ledge. The final result is winning, and Hart and the defense are the stars of the show. Since we have not had this since Bernie and the boys, it looks wrong (weird) and not what we have come to expect. If they win it all, this style will prove to better than anything we have seen since the BSB days, even though we have had tons of teams to love over the years.

How weird that the Hart of the team is the goalie for a change

Trust the coach

Trust the process

Trust the bourbon

that's what it is we needed great system defensive coach which was av, someone that hak never was. that's why the canucks and rangers were so good under him.

• Like 1

I don't really like this comparison to the Devils teams that won cups in the mid-90s. I just think it is simplistic and ignores how the game has changed in the last 25 years. 

Is it Defensive in orientation? I guess, but it depends what you mean by that. Is it passive? No, not at all. It seeks to push the pace north - south and drive the other team back into their end and keep them their with aggressive pinching and strong puck support and back pressure. The Flyers did plenty of that yesterday.

Against the Habs it also involves good chips and dumps that Price can't easily play. Flyers dumps yesterday were pretty damn good. They need to continue that. Price is simply too good a puck handler. 

I want them to keep the puck down low more - too many times they turned it over at the hashmarks for my liking. But they back-checked like mad.

So, I'm ok with it, on the whole. it's a work in progress to get it back to where it was in late February. But you can see what they are trying to do against a team that is very fast. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

The adjustments were great. I totally agree with your assessments.  But I also saw D-men laying back on 50/50 pucks in the netral zone. This told me that the game plan was to not over extend and get caught up ice. They did a great job challenging the puck in their zone and forcing bad, or no shots. This allowed the back checking to be even more effective

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

I don't really like this comparison to the Devils teams that won cups in the mid-90s. I just think it is simplistic and ignores how the game has changed in the last 25 years. 

I agree.

I'm sorry but i remember a whole lot of clutching and grabbing and i don't see the Flyers doing that i do see them leaning on guys when they are with the puck or about to receive it or are around the puck. Or they are reaching and getting stick on stick or on pucks or in the passing lanes.

But i have to admit it's what i wanted them to do to grind on the opposition and AV has got them playing aggressive hockey when it calls for it and when they got the lead they fell back and play more defense.

Is it more boring?? Maybe sure and who wouldn't like what i call sexy hockey - which i refer to just finding the twine ore often and lighting the lamp 3 or 4 times a game.

I get it but right now it looks like they are finding a way out of these they are going and finding their game and maybe still getting into game shape.

So if they keep going 1-0 or 2-0 and winning i'm good with it...as long as they keep stacking Ws.

If they can get this series over tonight maybe that would open them up for some practice time which is what they really need right now.

Am i concerned that Giroux, Coots, Hayes, Konecny and JVR are scoring goals and in the highlights every night yes i am.

But as long as they are winning i am going to live with it for now. But if they end up having to face an Isles team next round (not sure if that would be who it is) they my have to finding their scoring touch and will have to play a shutdown defensive system to play vs Trotz boys and this could prepare them.

Sorry for the long dribble but i got home late last night and watched the game till about 1:30 am.

Go Flyers!

Trust The Bourbon!!!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree.

I'm sorry but i remember a whole lot of clutching and grabbing and i don't see the Flyers doing that i do see them leaning on guys when they are with the puck or about to receive it or are around the puck. Or they are reaching and getting stick on stick or on pucks or in the passing lanes.

But i have to admit it's what i wanted them to do to grind on the opposition and AV has got them playing aggressive hockey when it calls for it and when they got the lead they fell back and play more defense.

Is it more boring?? Maybe sure and who wouldn't like what i call sexy hockey - which i refer to just finding the twine ore often and lighting the lamp 3 or 4 times a game.

I get it but right now it looks like they are finding a way out of these they are going and finding their game and maybe still getting into game shape.

So if they keep going 1-0 or 2-0 and winning i'm good with it...as long as they keep stacking Ws.

If they can get this series over tonight maybe that would open them up for some practice time which is what they really need right now.

Am i concerned that Giroux, Coots, Hayes, Konecny and JVR are scoring goals and in the highlights every night yes i am.

But as long as they are winning i am going to live with it for now. But if they end up having to face an Isles team next round (not sure if that would be who it is) they my have to finding their scoring touch and will have to play a shutdown defensive system to play vs Trotz boys and this could prepare them.

Sorry for the long dribble but i got home late last night and watched the game till about 1:30 am.

Go Flyers!

Trust The Bourbon!!!!!

Let's hope the Flyers big boys break out tonight and finish off the Habs. It's time they help Hart who has helped them all series. Finish off those ***** Habs and send their fans back into the woods.

• Like 1

I think the comparisons to the Devils in the 90's isn't really an indictment of the Flyers as playing that way, but rather the result of BOTH teams with very similar gameplans.  Both teams are playing an aggressive 1-2-2 and/or 2-1-2, even if all 5 players are deep in the offensive forecheck when doing so.  Defensively, both teams are allowing perimeter possession and locking down the middle.  Through the NZ, forget about it.  There's just nothing there.

The end result is a game with very little breathing room for either side with a lot of blue line turnovers to the point where I feel like I'm constantly looking at the center ice logo and the two "Stanley Cup" logos under the ice at each blue line.  

I suspect should the Flyers move on, we'll see a completely different game.  I expected this against Montreal, and it's really their only way to win.  They're quick, tenacious, and well coached.  I'll be happy to see the Flyers put them in the rear view mirror.

• Good Post 1

51 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

3 elimination games today on....good day for hockey!!!!!!

Consequently, with the hope that Thursday Stars' game won't be scheduled on a decent time on the Papua-New Guinea timezone.  

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

I think the comparisons to the Devils in the 90's isn't really an indictment of the Flyers as playing that way, but rather the result of BOTH teams with very similar gameplans....

...the end result is a game with very little breathing room for either side with a lot of blue line turnovers to the point where I feel like I'm constantly looking at the center ice logo and the two "Stanley Cup" logos under the ice at each blue line.  

This is well-stated. I've always felt that the neutral zone is where most hockey games are won and lost. It's even more true now with the rules and the speed. 

Both teams have turned the puck over in the NZ. Last game it was the Flyers who were a little better at supporting the puck on those 50-50 plays. They were "bigger" in the NZ. The team that does this better over a series will win.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

4 hours ago, Digityman said:

All they have to do is get 9 goals in their next 25 power plays (~36%) to catch up to their regular season average.

17 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We all need to absorb the significance in your statement , for the first time in decades the Flyers are actually winning due to our goaltending and defense instead of losing because of it. We are being outplayed and actually winning. In the past we would outplay the opponents and outshoot them 45-15 and we would lose the game. I cant count many series in the past 30 years we lost, due to bad goaltending and having a defense of maybe three skilled defensemen and three immobile  stiffs. So many times we would spend most of the game in the opponents end , bombarding the net with quality shots, outshooting them by a wide margin, only to end up losing due to a cheap goal or a glaring defensive give away. 50 foot slapper, through the 5 hole, Hexy, cheap rebound, Beezer, etc. Think about the goal for Chicago in 2010, has there ever been a weaker Cup winning goal in history ? It's incredible and a long time coming , that we finally have a quality lineup from the goaltending out.

Thank you for expounding on my initial thoughts.  This is exactly what was going through my mind when I made this post but did express it overtly.  It is literally like you read my mind though.

Edited by Poulin20

1 hour ago, TedZep said:

All they have to do is get 9 goals in their next 25 power plays (~36%) to catch up to their regular season average.

i would be happy with one...just ONE. One measly PP goal

Is that too much to ask after all my years of loyal support, and putting up with the shenanigans and mental fatigue associated with certain forum members?

I'm not sure who is in or out the lineup tonight but after last night's win i have to think i run it back again.

Ihope they can end this series tonight so they can practice and work on one of their biggest weaknesses.

Flyers have a power play percentage of 3.6 (1 for 28), worst in the playoffs, but they've also allowed 1.29 goals per game, fewest in the playoffs.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Trust The Bourbon!!!!

And this right here is what the PP needs....this!!!! And it's not just Ivan.

Many of the Flyers seemed to have forgot how to sling a wrist shot in on goal deflection can still happen but when take one there is a lot less time for someone to just jump in a shooting lane because you AREN'T taking a long wind up....

...just flick it on goal and see what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Pitlick I could see, but Grant may get paid more than he is worth.  At $700k he is a bargain.  He had 15 goals this year in a shortened season so you could end up paying $1.5M per year for multiple years for a guy who may never score like that again.  I think you rely on guys like Bunnaman to  pick up any slack and reassess mid-year.

Dear SC:

I concur with you 100%.  At 1 million he is fine.  Whether he gets multi- or even two-year is TBD.  I think other GM's will see things your way as well.  I doubt he is a late bloomer.  I thought he was only with Anaheim...he has knocked around a lot.  

18 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

Is it just me, or has it been 6:00 forever now

I agree.

So the Flyers will get the Bruins if Caps win.

If the Isles win the Flyers get them.

Anyone anytime anywhere!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor
Trust The Bourbon!!!!