Vintage Games - loving the time warp

CoachX

Im sitting here watching Flyers vs Rangers from 1979 (i think). I miss this hockey more than what today offers (minus HD and Gritty). It didnt take long to start feeling like it was almost real, esoecially when I saw a George Kennedy commercial advertising Schaefer beer (the one beer to have when you're having more than one)

Hilarious!

Even though that was 40+ years ago, one thing was as true then as it is now....

I hate the ****** rangers 🤬

• Like 2

What we ought to do, get a bunch of us to click on the same game all at once, and have a retro game thread

The comments would be interesting, to say the least. OR would still be banging to box for NAK to get more ice time, Ron Jeremey would still want Patrick traded, and the Walt Whitman would still be SRO

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

There's one other thing that's still true - Shero's famous line: "take the shortest route to the puck and arrive in ill humor" 

It's still the only rule you ever need to play winning hockey

• Like 1

If its Ranger hate you want how about this game from the 1985 playoffs game 1, the first step in a long journey to the Cup Final.  I don’t know about the rest of you who watched that era but I really liked Todd Bergen and was so sad that he left hockey for golf (he couldn’t take the abuse from Iron Mike Keenan).  

Edited by Poulin20
  • Like 1

1987 Finals Game 3 - With the Flyers down 2-0 in the series after games in Edmonton they returned to the Spectrum to play a game was emblematic of the series, where they get down early and fight back. This remarkable team never stopped fighting and if Tim Kerr was available the outcome may have been different.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

1987 Finals Game 3 - With the Flyers down 2-0 in the series after games in Edmonton they returned to the Spectrum to play a game was emblematic of the series, where they get down early and fight back. This remarkable team never stopped fighting and if Tim Kerr was available the outcome may have been different.

Too painful to watch right now will watch later. TPWL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah. I'm watching actually lol

Dang  that old place used to get loud!  It was a dump in certain ways but it was our dump and we loved it.

That was only my 3rd season being a fan...I was in 5th grade at the time and absolutely worshiped those guys.

Edited by Poulin20

55 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Dang  that old place used to get loud!  It was a dump in certain ways but it was our dump and we loved it.

That was only my 3rd season being a fan...I was in 5th grade at the time and absolutely worshiped those guys.

It's really sad how hockey rinks need the Jumbotron to tell them to cheer. And how "fans" need all this gimick bs to entertain them at a freakin hockey game. Watch the game...it's literally entertainment!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 11:08 AM, CoachX said:

Im sitting here watching Flyers vs Rangers from 1979 (i think). I miss this hockey more than what today offers (minus HD and Gritty). It didnt take long to start feeling like it was almost real, esoecially when I saw a George Kennedy commercial advertising Schaefer beer (the one beer to have when you're having more than one)

Hilarious!

Looks like you may be watching these videos for a while longer i see New Mexico is under a very tight lock down. 

Trying to keep it contained i guess. Must be boring sitting at the window watching the tumbleweeds roll by...

On 4/23/2020 at 8:54 AM, Poulin20 said:

If Hexy snorted pre-game coke like Fuhr he would have been unstoppable.

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2020 at 8:54 AM, Poulin20 said:

and a healthy Poulin.... ugh!

3 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

and a healthy Poulin.... ugh!

It was unbelievable how in both The 1985 and 1987 Playoffs he cracked ribs, donned a flak jacket and gave it everything he had, (case in point the 2 man short goal vs Quebec in 1985).  The guy was a warrior and a leader of men.  He epitomized everything I love about those mid 80’s teams, hence my username (Mark Howe was actually my favorite player despite my adoration of the captain).

• Like 2