Trade Deadline of 2/24-Buyers, Sellers, "Neutrals?"

Howie58

Greetings:

I saw this piece a few days ago:

https://flyersnittygritty.com/flyers-must-be-buyers-at-the-trade-deadline/

I don't agree with his contention that we need to make a "splash" trade to aim for elite status.   Most of the comments feel the same.

That said, playing Armchair Quarterback/GM, Does Chuck Fletcher:

1)  Try to acquire a high draft pick or cap flexibility via trade of a Voracek?

2)  Does he trade an established asset (Ghost) for a sniper to aid the flagging PP?

3)  Does he dangle Voracek or Ghost or other "underachiever" in a "Change of Scenery" Trade?

4)  Does he trade Moose for a piece knowing Hart is the real deal and someone can finish the season as backup....while we get a pick from someone wanting an established backup?

Candidly, I don't see big trades.  But, our cap inflexibility may be bothersome.  I also have to wonder if Fletcher wants to replenish high picks knowing that Morin and quite possibly Patrick, are questionable.  

Thoughts?

Edited by Howie58

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Does he dangle Voracek or Ghost or other "underachiever" in a "Change of Scenery" Trade?

I think it is very possible to see both or at least one of these guys moved.

However if it does go down it won't be till the draft or the offseason before the start of free agency.

I can see them staying put and riding it out with what they have. Yet that is subject to chance if they start to lose on a nightly basis.

So ask me again come february should know more by then.

They are getting guys back like Raffl and Laughton and i kind of like the makeup of this team. I know shocker!

I agree, we are not one player away from a cup, we need our young guys like Frost and Farabee to gain experience and step up next season. So wasting picks or prospects for some pending UFA that we cant afford anyway,  is a waste of time. If someone is to be sacrificed to improve a glaring weakness, like lack of a Simmonds style winger, then you see whats out there for trade and if its worth the cost. 

As you guys said, moving a Ghost or Voracek/JVR  might happen but only if the absolutely right deal came along and it improves the team and cap situation. 

I don't like the article at all. 

We haven't the cap space to be buyers and most of the kids are showing the potential we'd hoped. These are the assets we'd have to give up if we were buyers. 

I'm okay with the idea of moving Jake. Especially if people like Patrick start coming back. 

But no, there is no reason to be buyers this go around. 

Jake and Ghost could be traded in the offseason but the Flyers are in position to add, not subtract, the East is tough but winnable, the Flyers look really good right now, a solid top four blueliner and a middle six winger should be added, not subtracted.

I keep reading about voracek or JVR being possible trade bait.  What is their value to another team?  I think we (flyers fans) keep talking about it as a possibility because we want it to happen.  I dont know if players like that are in demand though.  I think the return would be average draft picks, average prospects, or another underachieving player looking for a change of scenery.

I never thought I'd say this, but the flyers need to get back to concentrating on the draft.  I watched a phantoms game a few weeks ago and it was tough.  I didnt know any of the players and they just looked like a bad AHL team.  All of those prospects we gathered are on the big team now.

So what do we think about this team?  When we were waiting for Hextalls plan to come together, is this what we were expecting?  I really like this team and I like where they are going, but I just watched every highlight of the 2012 penguins series, that team was much better than what we have now.  If Hart was on that team, things could have turned out much better.

1 hour ago, icehole said:

I watched a phantoms game a few weeks ago and it was tough.  I didnt know any of the players and they just looked like a bad AHL team.  All of those prospects we gathered are on the big team now.

When injuries pop up it happens.

Nothing you can do about it.

They have a wave of new prospects coming in next year they will be fine.

Nothing you can do to prevent injuries just like the year before going through 8 goalies noone could have seen that coming.

And then the Patrick issue hasn't help in the depth department either.

However the Phantoms got struck with a slew of injuries too.

Remember to start the season a few guys like Laberge and Strome had to start in the ECHL during to so much depth, season starts injuries pop up and boom those guys have been recalled to the AHL.

Raffl and Laughton will be back on this road trip so I expect Vorobyev and Andreoff to be returned to the Phantoms soon.

If we have to move guys I'm offering up the following:

Ghost

Jake

JVR

Braun

Those are the main 4 for me on the block.

And for the right price I will listen to offeres for Giroux.

But to move he I need a very very nice return.

The other above? Just make me an offer.

All off season I was adamant 👻 would not be traded. I guess I was right, but so what? Its not like he has returned to form. I dont see a scenario where Jake gets moved in a trade. Too much money for too little upside.  JVR might have more value if a team believes they are getting the Toronto JVR, or if his misleading goal stats blind a potential suitor.

I can see a potential ghost trade though. D men have alot more value and teams will buy into a "change of scenery". I just dont know who we could get back and moving a young playet would be dumb.

12 minutes ago, CoachX said:

All off season I was adamant 👻 would not be traded. I guess I was right, but so what? Its not like he has returned to form. I dont see a scenario where Jake gets moved in a trade. Too much money for too little upside.  JVR might have more value if a team believes they are getting the Toronto JVR, or if his misleading goal stats blind a potential suitor.

I can see a potential ghost trade though. D men have alot more value and teams will buy into a "change of scenery". I just dont know who we could get back and moving a young playet would be dumb.

These guys can be moved but it won't be during the season type of movement for Jake or JVR that will be a offseason type of move and one that you're not going go get a whole of value back.

Ghost, Braun and Pitlick are guys I could see being moved during the season before or at the deadline.

27 minutes ago, CoachX said:

It would be JVR

Yes being a former 30 goal scorer looks good on the resume...it would help if he continues his uptick in the goal scoring department I mean to be leading the team after his sloooooow start says something he just needs to keep it up in order to entice someone (a fool really) to take a chance on him.

Someone needs to hire Ron or Homer as GM then we can off load some of the remaining crap still left around.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

These guys can be moved but it won't be during the season type of movement for Jake or JVR that will be a offseason type of move and one that you're not going go get a whole of value back.

Ghost, Braun and Pitlick are guys I could see being moved during the season before or at the deadline.

The only thing we can hope for is a strong playoff contender loses a goal scorer to injury around the deadline,  therefore opening the door for us to unload JVR or Voracek on them.  Teams loading up for a cup run especially if they have a key injury, tend to overpay. I would even pickup some salary to dump one of these guys.

Ghost probably is our most valuable asset thats mentioned in trade rumors . I guess if an amazing offer comes in that makes us a better team , then you gotta think about it. Lets say  for example ,management  is not confident Patrick  and Lindblom are ever coming  back, that is a huge loss in offensive potential and is also a real possibility that at least one of them is not coming back . So if a team like Montreal offers Poehling and Domi for Ghost and Vorobyev or someone else, then thats a trade you make. They are rumored to really want Ghost.

• Like 1