Game 35: Sabres at Flyers: 12/19/19 @ 7

Howie58

Greetings:

We are favorites and have played far better than Buffalo over the last 10:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/buffalo-philadelphia-odds-december-19-2019-1161871

We play well against Buffalo at home (5 game winning streak) and hope that continues:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?Buffalo_Sabres

I have to believe this is Hart's game between the pipes after his performance last night.  Who knows, maybe another of the youngins chips in for some scoring.  

I agree with this Myers has some work to do in his own end. He isn't alone i will say this i think Sanheim and Ghost do to.

But i think once Myers gets his stuff together he can eventually jump on the top pair with Ivan in a year or two.

So might as well put his nose down and work on his game now. He'll get a shot again soon.

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Stewart would be a more effective fighter if he spent more time punching and less time trying to get his opponents helmet off

I think he is trying to preserve his knuckles in doing so....i can imagine i can shatter them if you hit them just right...after a shot or two they would go numb but later well he could struggle to use his hands later.

I have no beef in doing this i mean after all he is the one taking the beating or dishing one out.

There is no need to armchair quarterback every facet of the game....sheesh Flyer fans.

I guess we'll see this...

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 13 Kevin Hayes - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel
72 David Kase - 48 Morgan Frost - 93 Jakub Voracek
10 Andy Andreoff - 24 Mikhail Vorobyev -18 Tyler Pitlick 

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
8 Robert Hägg - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think he is trying to preserve his knuckles in doing so....i can imagine i can shatter them if you hit them just right...after a shot or two they would go numb but later well he could struggle to use his hands later.

I have no beef in doing this i mean after all he is the one taking the beating or dishing one out.

There is no need to armchair quarterback every facet of the game....sheesh Flyer fans.

He could always adopt the riley cote strategy of beating the other guys fists with his face.

No skin off those knuckles

And Im more of a couch potato coach, as opposed to arm chair qb. The wife wont let me have an arm chair

Edited by CoachX

6 minutes ago, CoachX said:

He could always adopt the riley cote strategy of beating the other guys fists with his face.

It would be nice to have a forward who could play and fight too when the need arises....Stewart isn't that guy.

I do think Andreoff is a better option in that regard. He can play and defend his teammates.

Edited by OccamsRazor

39 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It would be nice to have a forward who could play and fight too when the need arises....Stewart isn't that guy.

I do think Andreoff is a better option in that regard. He can play and defend his teammates.

I was hoping to see him do that. He was insignificant last night

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I was hoping to see him do that. He was insignificant last night

AV shortened his bench and the 5 penalties kind of screwed up the flow up the game.

He only got 6 minutes not much you can do with that little of playing time. Still AV said Stewart is a scratch next game and Andreoff is playing sounds like a win for him to me.

Maybe he gets a few more minutes...but then again it's the 4th line which if the game is going right i really don't care to much about.

ROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 13 Kevin Hayes - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel
72 David Kase - 48 Morgan Frost - 93 Jakub Voracek
10 Andy Andreoff - 24 Mikhail Vorobyev - 18 Tyler Pitlick

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
8 Robert Hägg - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Power Play 1: Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Gostisbehere
Power Play 2: Hayes, Frost, JVR, Provorov, Niskanen

Scratches: 5 Phil Myers (healthy), 44 Chris Stewart (healthy).
NHL Suspension: 49 Joel Farabee (game 2 of 3).
IR: 21 Scott Laughton (groin)
LTIR: 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season), 12 Michael Raffl (broken right pinky finger), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines)

SABRES

68 Victor Olofsson - 9 Jack Eichel - 23 Sam Reinhart
13 Jimmy Vesey - 90 Marcus Johansson - 74 Rasmus Asplund
53 Jeff Skinner - 71 Evan Rodrigues -- 43 Conor Sheary
28 Zemgus Girgensons - 22 Johan Larsson - 21 Kyle Okposo

19 Jake McCabe - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
26 Rasmus Dahlin - 62 Brandon Montour
6 Marco Scandella - 10 Henri Jokiharju

35 Linus Ullmark
40 Carter Hutton

Power Play 1: Olofsson, Eichel, Johansson, Reinhart, Dahlin
Power Play 2: Skinner, Larsson, Okposo, Jokiharju, Ristolainen

Scratches: 4 Zach Bogosian (healthy), 33 Colin Miller (healthy).
IR: 72 Tage Thompson (upper body)
LTIR: 17 Vladimir Sobotka (knee surgery), 48 Matt Hunwick (neck)

18 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Exactly what happened to Myers? I know he's in the dog house. and he was injured. But I thought he was playing well before the injury. What did he do that got him benched?

Zero affiliation with the state of Minnesota.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Exactly what happened to Myers? I know he's in the dog house. and he was injured. But I thought he was playing well before the injury. What did he do that got him benched?

Honestly I don't think anything "happened" I think this is the rotation.

Some nights Phil looks all world some nights he looks lost.  Hagg is steady if unspectacular, he's an NHL defensman who needs to play too.

I know there's more guys than spots but I don't think the playing time decisions are based on doghouse or penthouse.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Honestly I don't think anything "happened" I think this is the rotation.

Some nights Phil looks all world some nights he looks lost.  Hagg is steady if unspectacular, he's an NHL defensman who needs to play too.

I know there's more guys than spots but I don't think the playing time decisions are based on doghouse or penthouse.

I think you are right. This appears to be have been the pattern all along - I recall asking about a month ago if AV was platooning guys. It's not really "normal" in hockey is it? You play the guy that's playing well until he falters. I don't know if AV has a track record of this, but it seems to me it's one way to keep guys from getting complacent, it keeps the press box guys engaged and part of the team. He might be a better than average coach, just saying.

Now, if he could just platoon JVR some more, and by platoon, I mean like Willem Dafoe's treatment at the end of the movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

JVR would definitely be in the squad that wanted to smoke weed and dance to smokey robinson, but he is no sarge (unfortunately). yes, i agree he should be shot and left to be dismembered by the Vietcong.

I stand corrected. VC is ass!

• Like 1

Does anyone know off hand how many times we play?   Usually  3?  I think two might be in Philly and only one in Buffalo?  Not sure.  Too lazy to go look it up.  I know we have usually bounced back from a loss pretty well. We could have easily tied that game in Toronto but it did not work out.   We must do better on the road.  WE have been better at home just like the Flyers.  

26 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Does anyone know off hand how many times we play?   Usually  3?  I think two might be in Philly and only one in Buffalo?  Not sure.  Too lazy to go look it up.  I know we have usually bounced back from a loss pretty well. We could have easily tied that game in Toronto but it did not work out.   We must do better on the road.  WE have been better at home just like the Flyers.  

Dunno, but if you can figure out a way for the Sabres plane to land on top of JVR's Lamborghini (preferably with him still in it) that would be swell.

It's the yellow one with Licence plate number 25 MOLE

Edited by Podein25
  • Haha 1

...Team Game ... eh !!

..Stay out of the Box ...eh!!!

Pucks to the net...eh!!!

Shoot the f**king Puck... eh !!!

just a skate in the park 

..Flyers...6

..Dull Knives...3

Go flyers... Eh !! >>

Jack Eichel out of the line up ..(must be scared ) .

Edited by intheslot

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

He was having back spasms. That kept him out of the lineup for a couple games.  Health scratch for a couple.