Making Clips of NHL Videos

SpikeDDS

I want to make a short YouTube clip of an NHL video for purposes of discussion. I'm relatively new to this.

I know how to add a link to a YouTube video that already exists. Unfortunately, no one has made a clip of the highlight I want to show, so I have to make it myself.

What is/are the best way(s) to do that?

I am using a Mac and iPhones. I CAN use a PC at work also, but would prefer to do it on Mac/iOS.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 hour ago, SpikeDDS said:

I want to make a short YouTube clip of an NHL video for purposes of discussion. I'm relatively new to this.

I know how to add a link to a YouTube video that already exists. Unfortunately, no one has made a clip of the highlight I want to show, so I have to make it myself.

What is/are the best way(s) to do that?

I am using a Mac and iPhones. I CAN use a PC at work also, but would prefer to do it on Mac/iOS.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you're looking for software to do it, I would suggest Davinci Resolve. It is a professional level video editing suite but with a completely free version that omits some features that non-professionals wouldn't use anyway. 

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Like any complex software, there is a learning curve, but honestly, I watched one 20 minute video and was on my way. 

@brelic

Thanks for that.

But I want to make sure you understand what I mean.

I'm not sure I can DL the file. If I can, I don't know how. I tried screen recording during playback, but it is disabled on my phone.

Can Davinci record streaming video without having the file saved? Once the file is saved, I can use iMovie to edit it. I just don't know how to get the video on my computer/phone. The clip I want is NOT on the highlights of the game, so even if I could DL the entire video--which I do not know how to do--the file will be HUGE and it will take forever. I only want about a 30-60 second clip of it, but I don't know how to get it so that I can crop it.

Will Davinci record whatever is on the screen? And that's PC, right? Or is it Mac too?

Thanks for your response. Sorry for being such a n00b at this.

1 hour ago, SpikeDDS said:

@brelic

Thanks for that.

But I want to make sure you understand what I mean.

I'm not sure I can DL the file. If I can, I don't know how. I tried screen recording during playback, but it is disabled on my phone.

Can Davinci record streaming video without having the file saved? Once the file is saved, I can use iMovie to edit it. I just don't know how to get the video on my computer/phone. The clip I want is NOT on the highlights of the game, so even if I could DL the entire video--which I do not know how to do--the file will be HUGE and it will take forever. I only want about a 30-60 second clip of it, but I don't know how to get it so that I can crop it.

Will Davinci record whatever is on the screen? And that's PC, right? Or is it Mac too?

Thanks for your response. Sorry for being such a n00b at this.

Ah, gotcha. 

So first, yes, Davinci is Mac. Also Windows and Linux. 

If you have a YouTube premium account, it lets you download videos - which you could then bring in to whatever software you use, cut up the section you want, and discard the rest. 

You can try to screen cap, but that wouldn't be through Davinci. Use one of those screen recorders that vloggers use to show what they're doing on the screen. Not sure how good the quality would be if you just capture the screen.