Game 12: Flyers at Devils 11/1/19

radoran

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Some nice deck chairs you got there... 👺

I think they brought Myers up too.

Honestly, at least he's trying to do something. Morin was awful. Vorobyev was invisible. Twarynski had some early success, and Rubstov is probably the obvious option for a fourth line center right now. I don't know that I'd expect amazing things, but it's something. I like bringing up Myers and giving him a shot too. Our defense is porous. 

The next step would have to be making some trades for more defensive guys, which imo starts with moving Ghost. But yeah, at least it's something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Some nice deck chairs you got there... 👺

Moves that needed to be made.

And honestly Sam hadn't played a game since last April and he should have been given a conditioning stint before they just played him. So good for him.

They way the blue line has been playing there are some slots up for grabs and i want to see him take advantage of that i think he can make Hagg expendable.  Now is his chance the time time is ripe.

I'm afraid Vorobyev will never be a NHL center or at least not with this club there are things he lacks that can't be taught.

Rubtsov is going to be a good fit for the bottom 6 sound discipline play and some good skill in the tool box hopefully he realized the opportunity he has and doesn't relinquish his spot in the lineup.

He brings his 200 foot game like Oskar has and he will carve a spot out. These are all assumptions and about all we have right now.

Winning is all that matters. I hope someone can put Stewart out the line up.  

• Like 3

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Moves that needed to be made.

That they were made isn't a problem. That they needed to be made...?

Coach essentially calls out players in the media and then we get Rubstov and Twarynski? 🤔

Just underwhelmed.

To be clear, I expect them the whoop up on the Devils. 🌞

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I hope someone can put Stewart out the line up.  

Stewart is the new Lehtera...

• Like 1

Just now, elmatus said:

I think they brought Myers up too.

Yes i totally forget to address him in the last post. He brings something the backend lacks size and physical.

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

Vorobyev was invisible.

I know it's early but he lacks things that can't be taught...intensity and wants to be a perimeter player...Flyers already have too many of them...he will end up traded or back in the KHL...until he otherwise shows me something...20 games and he has 1 goal.

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Rubtsov is probably the obvious option for a fourth line center right now.

I see it like this. Early word is Giroux is going back to LW. Pitlick is a center so will get 4th line duty. Ruby will slot 3rd.

This is a much better suited lineup.

28 Claude Giroux - 13 Kevin Hayes - 93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 19  German Rubtsov - 49 Joel Farabee
12 Michael Raffl - 18 Tyler Pitlick - 81 Carsen Twarynski

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 5 Phil Myers

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

That they needed to be made...?

Well remember they have a new staff so they are still feeling it all out still trying to figure out the kids they have. Sometimes you don't know guys are going to sh it their pants till the bullets are real. AV is going to do his best to get the 18 best skaters he can.

I'm down with that weed out the weak ones that don't belong and can't execute....and well send them packing.

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

Just underwhelmed.

Trust. The. Process.

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

I hate you!!!!!!!

:beer:

• Like 2

I guess some action is better than none.  The loss against Pitt was horrific.  

Laughton's absence takes out a good defensive forward.  I am not sure about the Braun acquisition.  Ghost is not the Ghost of old.  Something had to be done.  I hope Rubstov shows promise and delivers.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

28 Claude Giroux - 13 Kevin Hayes - 93 Jakub Voracek
25 James van Riemsdyk - 19  German Rubtsov - 49 Joel Farabee

6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 5 Phil Myers

I can get behind much of that, though we're going to need more out of Sanheim if he wants to keep that spot on the second pairing. If Myers plays even reasonably well and Sanheim continues to be a train wreck, Myers should be rewarded by getting more ice time on the 2nd. You know how hard it is for me to trust inexperienced players right away. I'm not expecting miracles from Myers, but the truth is he doesn't have much for competition aside from the top two right now. He doesn't have to play very well to be considered our third best dman right now, which is a sad state of affairs...

I'm also okay with Hayes on the first line, though really our 2nd line is our top line right now. I would adjust to maybe:

28 Claude Giroux - 13 Kevin Hayes - 49 Joel Farabee

25 James van Riemsdyk - 19  German Rubtsov - 93 Jakub Voracek

Farabee has room to grow, but I like what he's brought in terms of play on the ice. I think it's just a matter of time before he starts to convert some of those great chances he's had to date. Why not put him in a position to succeed on the second line with more minutes? I like the combo of Giroux and him quite a bit. Certainly I like it more than I do Giroux/Voracek.

Edited by elmatus

40 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm not expecting miracles from Myers, but the truth is he doesn't have much for competition aside from the top two right now. He doesn't have to play very well to be considered our third best dman right now, which is a sad state of affairs...

Myers has a bit of bully in him that Sanheim doesn't. 

I think that alone will be helpful, Phil goes into the corners knowing the other guy is going in with him. 

A thing AV harped on was competing for pucks and ice, I think Travis can be bullied into poor play, at least the last two games have shown this to be decent hypothesis, until he gets over that, I think Myers might "show" better.  Myers if he keeps it simple can be really good. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, elmatus said:

25 James van Riemsdyk - 19  German Rubtsov - 93 Jakub Voracek

Can we just call that line the "Minus Line" and be done with it? 👺

I like Lindblom, but JVR is a proven top six forward being paid to be a top six forward and produce like a top six forward. Not putting him in a position to succeed offensively is just counterproductive.

On the plus side - no NMC...

• Like 1

While I started a separate thread eons ago, this also raises a question about Morin's long-term prospects.  A rehab stint might help to get some ice time.  Fine. But the question remains what he is down the road?  Candidly, I am not so convinced he will be claimed off waivers, and I might not be shedding tears if that happens.  I even wonder if he is part of a trade package?  

• Like 2

Head scratcher.

I would prefer Raffl on the 4th and Rubtsov on the 3rd with Joel and Kevin.

I hope Sanheim can show he belongs in the lineup his play lately is very alarming...he is lucky Ghost has been getting all the negative publicity...he needs to find his footing quick.

FLYERS

25 James van Riemsdyk -28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom -14 Sean Couturier -11 Travis Konecny
12 Michael Raffl -13 Kevin Hayes -49 Joel Farabee
81 Carsen Twarynski -50 German Rubtsov -44 Chris Stewart

53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Scratches: 8 Robert Hägg (healthy), 18 Tyler Pitlick (healthy)
Injured reserve: 21 Scott Laughton (broken right index finger)
Injured non-roster: 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines)

DEVILS

9 Taylor Hall - 86 Jack Hughes - 21 Kyle Palmieri
20 Blake Coleman - 19 Travis Zajac - 17 Wayne Simmonds
37 Pavel Zacha - 13 Nico Hischier - 63 Jesper Bratt
44 Miles Wood - 16 Kevin Rooney - 15 John Hayden

28 Damon Severson - 76 P.K. Subban
6 Andy Greene - 45 Sami Vatanen
8 Will Butcher - 7 Matt Tennyson

29 Mackenzie Blackwood
35 Cory Schneider

Power Play 1: Hall, Hughes, Simmonds, Palmieri, Vatanen
Power Play 2: Bratt, Hischier, Zacha, Severson, Subban

Scratches: 25 Mirco Mueller (healthy), 90 Jesper Boqvist (healthy), 97 Nikita Gusev (healthy)
Injured reserve: 5 Connor Carrick (IR, broken finger)

I just looked up the standings and shouldn't have. We are closer to the basement Sens than we are to a playoff spot. 

It also sounds like Patrick is not coming back anytime soon. He's not even skating with the team anymore. 

If they lose tonight, it could be a rough weekend. The Leafs aren't playing well, but could easily roast us like the Pens, especially with our porous defense. We might have a fighting chance if Elliott plays like he has.

One thing's for sure - even if everything is the same old same old in the standings and on the ice, it's not that way in the front office. They are shuffling LHV kids, and a vet or two might be next. 

But in all honesty, Stewart should not be playing NHL hockey. I mean, he isn't. But he shouldn't be allowed to impersonate a hockey player.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, brelic said:

I just looked up the standings and shouldn't have. We are closer to the basement Sens than we are to a playoff spot. 

But in all honesty, Stewart should not be playing NHL hockey. I mean, he isn't. But he shouldn't be allowed to impersonate a hockey player.

Trust the... I wanna say... Process?? 👺

One thing's for sure - even if everything is the same old same old in the standings and on the ice, it's not that way in the front office. They are shuffling LHV kids, and a vet or two might be next. 

Did someone say deck chairs? 👺

I don't know that I subscribe to the "shuffling kids" aspect of the front office. Is the "Hey - great news! You've got called up! Oh, wait, the team got waxed. You - go back to the minors!" approach a solid developmental program? Likely depends on the players' mindsets.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at $23.5M worth of "talent" with 22 total points. There are four players with more than that at this point...

If they lose tonight, it could be a rough weekend.

It's sad to say this early in the season, but this game is looking like a "must win" - to rinse the stink of the Pens game off if nothing else. The next two weeks are a real tough stretch and they certainly risk falling further out of "contention" (I use that word loosely).

If they lose tonight, they almost have to do something.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Trust the... I wanna say... Process?? 👺

Did someone say deck chairs? 👺

I don't know that I subscribe to the "shuffling kids" aspect of the front office. Is the "Hey - great news! You've got called up! Oh, wait, the team got waxed. You - go back to the minors!" approach a solid developmental program? Likely depends on the players' mindsets.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at $23.5M worth of "talent" with 22 total points. There are four players with more than that at this point...

It's sad to say this early in the season, but this game is looking like a "must win" - to rinse the stink of the Pens game off if nothing else. The next two weeks are a real tough stretch and they certainly risk falling further out of "contention" (I use that word loosely).

If they lose tonight, they almost have to do something.

I love how AV looks at Giroux, Jake and JVR and just says "Figure it out..."

#dotheyhavewhatittakes

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

Did someone say deck chairs?

Yeah, but these are the fancy foreign models. There's the Rubtsov and the Myers.

Definite upgrades over our previous go-tos like the Akeson and McGinn models. 

If they lose both games this weekend - and the home game against Toronto is a big one - I think they'll have lost whatever good faith they've rebuilt with the fans. We'll still keep watching, but the casual fans might start to tune them out again.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, radoran said:

That they were made isn't a problem. That they needed to be made...?

Coach essentially calls out players in the media and then we get Rubstov and Twarynski? 🤔

Just underwhelmed.

To be clear, I expect them the whoop up on the Devils. 🌞

Vandevelde = Lehtera = Stewart

There always has to be one right?  😕

centres while on ice at 5v5 over the last 2 games:

Giroux: 2GF, 2GA

Couturier: 2GF, 2GA

Hayes: 1GF, 4GA

Vorobyev: 0GF, 4GA.

Wow very weak down the middle...

Figure It Out

Edited by OccamsRazor

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yeah, but these are the fancy foreign models. There's the Rubtsov and the Myers.

If they lose both games this weekend - and the home game against Toronto is a big one - I think they'll have lost whatever good faith they've rebuilt with the fans. We'll still keep watching, but the casual fans might start to tune them out again.

Figure It Out

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

It's probably way more important to Ontario Flyer fans than anyone else...but these Flyers vs Leaf games are huge for us. To say bragging rights are on the line does not cover it or do it justice. This Sat in Philly (have to work gggrrr) and next Sat in TO (have it off and happens to be my 54 b day!) Last time a Philly team played on my b-day the Eagles beat the Cowboys in OT, 1 min into my day....so we got that going....lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

this has already happened IMO.

The first period at Pgh was the worst I've ever remembered seeing them play -ever. I don't think that's hyperbole either,  if there was a puck battle our guys lost it, if there was a break to be had the Pens got it, if there was a mistake made (and there were many) it wound up behind Elliot. 

I'm not ready to tune out, I have liked much of what I've seen right up to the last two games.