Game 11: Flyers at Pens; 10/29/19 @ 7:00

Howie58

We are heavy underdogs in this Keystone State-Metro Matchup:

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/10-29-2019/philadelphia-flyers-vs-pittsburgh-penguins-prediction-6849

We won't many games with sub .900 goaltending, which puts Elliott between the pipes.  That said, AV may want to see if Hart can climb out of the funk.  It should be interesting.  

I'm looking forward to the decision for who plays between the pipes tonight.  They can keep playing Elliot but the more you play him the higher the risk of injury.   

If I was coach - 

• Elliot vs Pens (Tuesday)
  • Hart vs Devils (Friday) -  If you want, you can bring up Lyon as the backup for the game otherwise you don't pull Hart no matter how bad it gets.  Let him work through this and Elliot needs a rest.
  • Elliot vs Leafs (Saturday)
  • Decide next Tuesday against the Hurricanes after Saturday's game.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

I'm looking forward to the decision for who plays between the pipes tonight.  They can keep playing Elliot but the more you play him the higher the risk of injury.   

If I was coach - 

• Elliot vs Pens (Tuesday)
  • Hart vs Devils (Friday) -  If you want, you can bring up Lyon as the backup for the game otherwise you don't pull Hart no matter how bad it gets.  Let him work through this and Elliot needs a rest.
  • Elliot vs Leafs (Saturday)
  • Decide next Tuesday against the Hurricanes after Saturday's game.

I agree on Hart! Unless he is nursing some kind of injury (not that I heard anything), he needs to work through the issues, no matter how ugly it gets.  He is human and hopefully he can work his way out of it soon.

• Like 1

PROJECTED LINES (Subject to change)

FLYERS

25 James van Riemsdyk - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
12 Michael Raffl - 13 Kevin Hayes - 49 Joel Farabee
18 Tyler Pitlick - 24 Mikhail Vorobyev - 44 Chris Stewart

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 8 Robert Hägg

37 Brian Elliott
79 Carter Hart

Power Play 1: Giroux, JVR, Farabee, Voracek, Gostisbehere.
Power Play 2: Lindblom, Couturier, Konecny, Provorov, Niskanen.

Scratches: 55 Sam Morin (healthy), 21 Scott Laughton (finger, Oct. 26).
Injured non-roster: 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

PENGUINS (based on Sat.)

59 Jake Guentzel - 87 Sidney Crosby - 12 Dominik Simon
17 Bryan Rust - 27 Nick Bjugstad - 72 Patric Hörnqvist
37 Sam Lafferty - 19 Jared McCann - 24 Dominik Kahun
46 Zach Aston-Reese - 53 Teddy Blueger - 13 Brandon Tanev

6 John Marino - 58 Kris Letang
3 Jack Johnson - 4 Justin Schultz
28 Marcus Pettersson - 50 Juuso Riikola

30 Matt Murray
[35 Tristan Jarry]

Power Play 1: Guentzel, Crosby, Hörnqvist, Letang, Schultz.
Power Play 2: Bjugstad, McCann, Kahun, Pettersson, Riikola.

Game-time decisions: Brian Dumoulin (IR, lower body), Alex Galchenyuk (IR, lower body), Adam Johnson (upper body).
Scratches: 2 Chad Ruhwedel (healthy), 36 Joseph Blandisi (healthy).
Injured reserve: 71 Evgeni Malkin (knee, Oct. 4).

Shouldn't be a problem getting up for the hated Penguins.

The defensemen have to forget about their last game...they certainly struggled with the puck on their sticks. I hope some rest has done the whole team some justice.

Get back to winning....i think Elliott will give them a chance while Hart works on his game.

Good morning all and I hope everyone has been enjoying the games this year.

Tonight I would go with Moose - he has flat-out earned the start against the Pens IMO.  Carter needs to work through his issues right now and I would not start him in this spot.  I am not worried about Hart but right now he is in a brutal funk.   He started off bad with Phantoms last year and rebounded nicely - the kid will be fine.

Defensively, as @OccamsRazor mentioned, they need to forget about the last game and move on.  That was a brutal performance all around - Sanheim, Ghost and Morin were all noticeably bad.  Speaking of Ghost - does anyone think he will return to form?  I am starting to get the feeling if he does not get to play his style he just shrinks and regresses.   The talent is there but I am beginning to wonder if the issue is b/t his ears...  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Speaking of Ghost - does anyone think he will return to form?

Of the games I saw before the Isles game, I didn't think Ghost was that bad.  Better than he was last year.  But, that Morin/Ghost pairing was real bad vs. the Isles.  

Looking for a 4-3 OT win tonight.

I think they should put Morin back in the lineup soon ,as to not ruin his confidence.  He should be teamed with someone who is defensively sound. Better yet, dress  seven dmen for about 9 or 10 games and work Morin in slowly so we can get an idea if he is really NHL caliber . We certainly wont miss Shitlick if we bench him. Ghost can also take some shifts on wing.

37 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Speaking of Ghost - does anyone think he will return to form?  Probably after we trade him.

He's never been great defensively. I doubt he'll ever really develop that part of his game now. It's just not his style.

Offensively he can still be decent. He still moves the puck well on the PP in particular. The problem is that's really all he seems to do well at this point. That was fine when we had no real other QB options for that role, but with Provo emerging as a legit two-way threat this season, Ghost is becoming increasingly expendable in his only real niche role.

If it had been me, I would have traded him last season, but GMs always seem to be an extra season behind, which tends to mean a lower return than we'd get otherwise (see: Simmonds). My honest guess is Ghost will be moved either mid-season if the right deal comes around or just before the Seattle expac. I don't think he will be a Flyer in 20-21. He's too easily replaceable with other options we now have -- most notably Provo, who is significantly better than him at pretty much everything at this point.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

Well in Sam's defense he hasn't played in a game since April the 6th last year so i imagine he was rusty some and to be saddled with Ghost and his issues wasn't exactly setting him up for success...he should have been given a conditioning stint with the Phantoms before his first NHL game.

@elmatus, Meyers and Sanheim have lots of offensive skill and are already better defensively than Ghost, once Meyers is on the team for good, and Sanheims game really  kicks in, Ghost will  be traded. He is not suited for the third pair and is horrible defensively. Haag is not helping his game any. He really has been unable to get many quality shots on net in the last few seasons, he never seems to have a clear lane, many shots are being blocked . I dont know if it's a confidence thing or the other teams have scouted him and have him figured out.

Edited by RonJeremy

@OccamsRazor, I agree,  Sam was not put into a good position for his first game back. So if we dress 7 dmen while Laughton is injured it's a perfect opportunity to give Morin some ice time. You can rotate Ghost, Morin and Haag and split up the ice time so Morin can play, it's better than wasting him in the press box. He can get  good 10 games in while Laughton is out. We can bench Shitlick. I wonder which dman we should pair Morin with? Braun has been horrible, Sanheims defensive game is not strong enough,  Ghost is a horror show, Haag and Morin together is a disaster.  I guess Niskanen or Provo.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

which tends to mean a lower return than we'd get otherwise (see: Simmonds).

There's little chance Simmonds would have passed a physical for another team trading for him in 16-17. He probably shouldn't have even been on the ice.

I don't disagree with the premise on Gotstobehere, but Simmonds IMO a bad comparison.

And I can see where ol' Fletch wanted to see what he had in Gotstobehere under a new coach.

• Like 1