Game 67: Flyers vs Capitals 3/6/19 at 7:30 PM

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Some fans may not admit it, but the team may miss Simmonds as well.

Even when he struggled on the scoreboard, he provided the team with a 'swagger' if you will.... a confidence that, whether realistic or not, the team was able to play, check, and skate with anyone.

Obviously, Simmonds role will need to be refilled by...……..well, not sure who.

Those are big shoes to fill.  Laughton has some elements.  But overall...tough to say.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, Elliot is terrible tonight.

Just not consistent enough moving forward for this team to even consider keeping around.

I am not a big Cam Talbot fan, but if you are going to keep a veteran to go with Hart, I'd go with Cam over Elliot.

That last goal, even it was shot by Ovechkin, SHOULD have been stopped, IMO.

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Man, The Flyers are terrible tonight.

Just not consistent enough moving forward for this team to even consider keeping around.

I am not a big Cam Talbot fan, but if you are going to keep a veteran to go with Hart, I'd go with Cam over Elliot.

That last goal, even it was shot by Ovechkin, SHOULD have been stopped, IMO.

Fixed it for you.

Just now, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Fixed it for you.

Yea, I know.
I am watching.

I see the Flyers fighting the puck and the flow of the game tonight.
But Elliot just let in two shots he needed to stop....now it's Talbot in.

Flyers may not have had "it" overall tonight (though Konecny had a nice chance with Laughton earlier that Laughton couldn't convert), but Elliot did NOT in any way, shape or form, pick his team up.

Hagg with a slash that wasn't called on Tom Wilson...

Ol Tommy didn't like it......
No fun being on the other end of a shatty play, eh Tom?

The two players exchanged words even going to the television break.
Maybe Hagg or Radko can put a nice big ol blowup hit on Tommy Boy....especially if this score continues to get out of hand.

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

fixed it for you

👺

Well, yea...
Back when that signing was made, I think it was well known Brian Elliot was going to give you good games....followed by lots of IR time and some screen door netminding as well.

At the stage your Flyers are though, he wouldn't even make a good backup (and make no mistake he IS a backup....I never believed him to be a starter)….as a young Philly team will have lapses like they have in this game, and HE needs to pick up his team.... he did not...and looked butt awful not doing it too...

7 hours ago, Howie58 said:

The game is 60 minutes....the O and B played about  35.  This may end the playoff chase.  

Elliott sure didn't play well last night. The team in front of him didn't either. Very hard for any club to dig out a 5-0 holae.

KEY STAT: 31 first-period goals in 34 home games

The problem i see with this team right now isn't anything to do with skill. Their biggest problem is between the ears.

They are still thinking to much and don't know who has who and where everyone should be.

That is the effect or three big things youth and still trying to understand a system that is being implemented.

Remember when Gordon took over he said he didn't want to spend a lot of time changing the system because he didn't want to bog his players down.

Well they are bogged down now thinking too much out there it seems .

Too many defensive zone break down and forwards not getting back in time to help cover.

The 3rd thing is Elliott was terrible in helping cover for their issues....it's not like they didn't have these issues last game it's that Elliott played so damn well he covered for their mistakes.

He was the polar opposite last night and they got behind big time and just couldn't make up for it.

This could be the straw that broke the camel's back.

A very disappointing team loss. 7 points back i'm afraid they are done. Stick a fork in em.

Andrew Macdonald played 9 minutes you would think with all the injuries and needing to dress 7 D man and what not now would be the perfect time to play Sam Morin.

If not now then when??

Unless he is still hurt it doesn't make no sense why he could be the 7th D man instead of Mcdud.

I just don't know what is going on with the kid they sure don't say much he played a few games on his conditioning stint gets activated and hasn't played since.

It seems like this club has nothing left to really lose.

Hart has to come back and help them win 15 straight games to even have a chance in hell.

This is a knock on anyone but it is time to mix the blueline up some.

Time to see what Myers looks like along side Ivan. Give Ivan a slightly more physical partner to help with the guys they are going up against.

Provorov/ Myers

Sanheim/Gudas

Ghost/Hagg

Plus it separates Hagg and Gudas who I don't think play well together.

I would like to se how this goes.

I missed the 10 minutes where apparently the goalie forgot how to stop a puck and the team kinda stood around and watched him **** up.

However, I thought the Myers goal was a thing of beauty, the skill on display there was why i watch hockey, playing the puck out of his skates, the drop pass and then cutting to get out of the way while lifting the defenseman's stick, Myer's laser of a shot to the corner. WOW. that was nice. 

Back to the first sentence now, and this has been the problem with Elliot and the rest of the goalies not named Stolarz or Hart all year, when the team needs them to step up, they haven't.  It's like oh you guys are going to play like ****, well hold my beer. The winning that Hart's presence helped to spur was/is directly related to this. He picked them up when they needed it, consistently, these other guys....well, it's kind of hit or miss.

Holtby could have folded up shop when the Flyers started buzzing but he got his act together, our flotsam and jetsam hasn't. 

this year it's the goaltenders fault, and Dave Scott's.

Good teams and good goalies will lay eggs from time to time. Last night wasn't a good time.  Elliott was a stopgap thrust into a bigger role than anybody could imagine.  Hopefully we have at least one part of a duo come next year.  I have no idea about the Cam Meister....we haven't played him that much.  We traded a possibility in Stolie.  Our Yale grad, Mr. Lyon....may have hit his ceiling.  We don't know about our Euro prospects.  I hate to say it, but goaltending may be unresolved until the last day of training camp.  Even then, I wonder.  

Archived