Game 54: Kings at Flyers: 2/7/19 @ 7

Howie58

26 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Stolie may not have been great on the SO.  But his teammates looked a poop load worse....

Good points here sir,

To go a step further, I think I put Provorov and /or Sanheim out for a shoot out before I put Koneckny. I love that kid, but he did something to anger the hockey gods, have you seen any player hit more posts than that kid this year ?  He generates a pile of chances, all he needs is an inch to the good side 15 times and he's leading the team in goals...its been amazing. He hit a post in the OT...I tell him to sacrifice a chicken or something to get right with the HG.  

Back to my point, Sanhiem has a sick handle as does Provorov why not let them take a rip, what about Ghost for that matter ?

1 hour ago, radoran said:

It certainly felt a lot like they were playing down to the Kings level. It was a very frustrating game as the Flyers would control play and then give up the breakaway.

To be fair, the Kings have actually been on a real turnaround in the last few weeks as well.  They've got a bit more swagger as a result and they kinda chewed up the metro getting points in every game on this road trip.

I agree they "competed" but this is exactly the kind of point you need to get if you're digging yourself back into the playoff race. Facing a team missing Crater and giving up goals to Kempe and Wagner? Needing a goal with 17 seconds left to even salvage a point?

Agreed.  They needed two points tonight.  It really seemed like they had trouble cracking the King's forecheck in the first two.  Gordon seemed slow to adjust... which is still faster than Hakstol I guess.  

Honestly, Stolarz looked a little shaky to me. Wasn't as calm in his positioning and reaction that I've seen from him in the few previous games. Not sure why. Maybe the pressure of getting #9 in a row?

I agree.  On the regulation goals he seemed a little spastic, but that said, I'm not sure being square to the shooter would have been possible on the second one.  The first goal was a very well placed laser.  Not an impossible save and his rhythm seemed a little off.  Either way though I can't really blame him for either goal and Shaky or not, he still saved 37 of 39 for a save % of .948 and at the end of the day, he made a bunch of saves to keep them in it, so I'm giving Stolie a passing grade overall.  

Five Eight points out with 28 to play isn't insurmountable - especially with the Eastern-loaded schedule they're playing down the stretch.

I think the two Pens games coming up are good benchmarks - if they're going to break into the playoffs they're going to have to show it there.

Agree totally.  The only upside to losing out on this point is that they didn't lose out to a Metro or even an Eastern conf. team.  In a normal season, this was a bad game that they were lucky to get a point out of.  In this season, in which they literally need an unprecedented miracle in order to make the playoffs, it was a must win and a disappointing loss of a point for which the loser point is a mild chaser.  

49 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Stolie did not look like the dude who shutout NY, but....stopping 37 of 39 ain't shabby.  For a big guy, he is quite mobile.

I kinda like Stolarz. He's looked better since returning from injury. His positioning is the important part. Stays square and doesn't do too too much.

20 shots in the first period was ridiculous - especially as the Flyers controlled play to start the game. Guys behind me were marveling at the shots the Flyers were getting, then realized they were only up 6-5 at that point.

Basically, there's no way the Flyers should be giving up 39 shots in the first place.

10 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm giving Stolie a passing grade overall.  

I think a passing grade is the right call. He "wasn't the reason they lost."

10 minutes ago, King Knut said:

an unprecedented miracle in order to make the playoffs

Eight points out in 28 games with an East-heavy schedule? Their fate is in their hands.

If the roster has "the talent" to compete with Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa, etc. - this is where they have to show it.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Stolie played very well the whole game (though he was horrendous in the shootout).

Yeah....he was big and sorta slow...he really got lucky on two of the misses.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Dude really needs shootout practice though... 

Yeah and TK 0 for 8 life time in the shootout should practice with him.

I agree they "competed" but this is exactly the kind of point you need to get if you're digging yourself back into the playoff race. Facing a team missing Crater and giving up goals to Kempe and Wagner? Needing a goal with 17 seconds left to even salvage a point?

Agree that point could haunt them. I know it was a huge gaff and defensive let down by Ghost and a slow plodding uninterested back checking Simmer but Stolie has to make the save on the first one....Hart if in goal easy makes that. But Stolie isn't Hart.

And the Flyers didn't capitalize on a few of their chances. They needed that point. Now they fall 8 points back of the last playoff spot.

I hate to say it but they can't afford to rest Hart anymore besides the back to back games. No point in trying not to exhaust him for the playoffs if they don't even make the playoffs....time to empty the tank. Hart can handle it.

He has played 34 total games he played 63 last year in juniors so ride him till the end.

They need the points so the best goalie needs to play. Playoffs or bust.

I think the two Pens games coming up are good benchmarks - if they're going to break into the playoffs they're going to have to show it there.

Yes i hate to put the pressure on but yes...they must win both of these games vs. the Pens. If they can't win these it's pretty much over.

This is the team in the spot they are chasing right now, them and the Blue Jackets.

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

I think the one glaring error pointed out by Colby Cohen was the inability of the defender (maybe Gudas) to stop the pass on the 2 on 1. 

Yes it is what i said a few posts back and said that Mcdud taught him well.

On that one all Gudas has to do is prevent the pass you always let the goalie take the shooter....however all Gudas did is skate backwards and WATCH the pass go across for the one timer goal....good vet D men keep that from happening.......hell even try the Kimmo slide to keep it from going across...terrible attempt at nothing.

Stolie should of had the first one i think it was hard once again to watch Simmer let up on the back check on that one too...and i know scouts don't want to see that from a guy fighting for a playoff spot.

33 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

To go a step further, I think I put Provorov and /or Sanheim out for a shoot out before I put Koneckny

I would even try Ghost too. Give Misha a chance and give TK a break man the guy who paints the post must hate him.

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

I kinda like Stolarz. He's looked better since returning from injury. His positioning is the important part. Stays square and doesn't do too too much.

I've always liked Stolarz's game since he first got that stint a few years ago.  His positioning was the best for a Flyers goalie I'd seen since maybe Boucher's firs stint (Carter's Hart then came along and was even better at it).  

Last night he kinda seemed like he was trying to do more than normal.  Not sure if it mattered.  He shouldn't have been asked to make the stops he did and he couldn't have been asked to stop more.  

Basically, there's no way the Flyers should be giving up 39 shots in the first place.

This is actually debatable in my book.  I'd sooner give up 39 shots from extremely low percentage areas than 15 shots unchecked in the slot or on 2-1s.   Most goalies in the league will make the low percentage chances and almost none can stop the other kind.    

The shift in the Flyers defensive and forechecking scheme has lead to more shots from lower percentage areas.  But not as many as one would like to see just yet.  The difference has been that Hart and Stolie have made amazing saves and even besides that gave up goals that were nearly unstoppable anyway.  

Eight points out in 28 games with an East-heavy schedule? Their fate is in their hands.

If the roster has "the talent" to compete with Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa, etc. - this is where they have to show it.

Agreed.  I did some calculating when they broke the losing streak and at that point it seemed like if they lost in regulation 8 more times by the end of the year, they'd still be in the hunt by the end of the season.  9 more times and it was not at all likely.  That amounted to a .750 record for the remainder of the season.  

This was .5 a loss in a points % sense.  It wasn't against a metro or eastern team... it just feels like a game they should have had and one that they didn't show up for.  I said above someplace that any other season and we'd be thrilled to have stolen a point and gotten the goaltending we did.  This season and the streak on the line make it feel like a big defeat.  But you're right... their situation hasn't changed much as far as making the playoffs.  It's just as likely and unlikely as it was before and how they perform against these metro and eastern conf teams will tell the tale.

As an aside, Settling for and even giving up loser points on those games will kill them.  

So not sure if this means he won't get a conditioning stint or what maybe he stays up and Vorobyev is sent back down.

Knight would require waivers to be sent down once cleared if not on a conditioning assignment.

So you could see a 4th of Varone-Knight-Raffl. 

Archived