Minnesota Wild vs. Buffalo Sabres 2/5/19 @ 6PM CST at KeyBank Center

CreaseAndAssist

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't figure out if I was enjoying that game or what. I'm really tired of having to say "Let's tie it up".

I may be totally off and probably am but once you get something in your head about what you're seeing, it's tough to see otherwise.

The Wild's 'attack' is so predictable from their own zone all the way down.

They have such a set play in mind that they force passes into congestion and they haven't even crosses the red line.

Dumping the puck in is an option but shouldn't be your 1st. 

Once in the zone, Every team knows the Wild like to cycle the boards...And that's it. They do 2 options, Trying to pass behind the net or to the point. Wash-Rinse-Repeat until someone is in front of the net. Problem: No one's usually there.

It's not too hard to send a guy midway to intercept that point pass as we see often lately.

Then there's the play where leaving our zone where Suter gets between our blue line and center ice a drops it off to say Granlund in almost full speed. This is constantly done and I see it's merits but it drives me nuts too. Now the opposing team sees this play over and over and find it easy to clog up their side of the red line (along with our now standing still players) leaving Granlund no choice to dump it in. Whatever happened to the Rush when the offense carries it in with the D backing it up? I watch the NBC Sunday games and see other's do it but we have no imagination or guts.

How are most of our goals scored? Gritty individual plays like Spurgeon last night and Parise and even Coyle humping the crossbar.

Granlund may be really good at getting passes through to other guys but he needs to shoot and not ALWAYS go with the set play. Last night he had guys on both sides and a prime chance to shoot low for at least a rebound chance and at least create a little mayhem, Instead he forces a pass and the scoring opportunity is gone.

Lastly, Barring injuries...This putting the lines into a blender every night has got to stop. No matter how you mix the mostly same ingredients, They end up with the same flavor. Set some lines and let them figure it out and Gain some chemistry especially since there are some new guys. 

This is supposed to be fun....It's not much fun lately.

So it’s not just me noticing these trends. I thought I was seeing this and thinking there must be something I didn’t understand. 

I also can’t figure out why the power play has stationary players pass the puck around with no player movement. The defense never has to change position if the offensive players never move. 

Could someone explain this to me. 

59 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

So it’s not just me noticing these trends. I thought I was seeing this and thinking there must be something I didn’t understand. 

I also can’t figure out why the power play has stationary players pass the puck around with no player movement. The defense never has to change position if the offensive players never move. 

Could someone explain this to me. 

Maybe because we keep using the same guys on the power play and that's what they do most of the time.  We did this for years and didn't change almost anything.  

Sounds like Koivu's injury is pretty bad as Elliott Friedman and Michael Russo are hinting so far...

7 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Another game proving the "it's not the goalie, we are not scoring enough" is a silly argument.

The fact is that this team throughout its history has had trouble scoring goals.

It's never been a silly argument-even with outstanding goaltending.

Maybe this team would score more if they tried watching film of some good pp units. 

The pp units that worry me while I watch usually have players that can pass move around looking for the shooter who is also moving around. When the passing lane opens they pass and shoot. Not pass, look, pass, look then shoot. 

I think our team had a nice effort yesterday by having 45 SOG vs 39 from Buffalo. Parise had 10 shots ;1 goal; Granlund  had 5 shots;1 assist; Coyle - 4 shots; 1 goal ; 1 assist; Spurgeon - 3 shots; 2 goals; Kunin - 2 shots; 2 assists; Suter - 2 shots; 2 assists. I liked  Kyle Rau too - he was pretty active last night as well as last year when he played few games. Instead of Bitetto  I would like to see more Louie Belpedio, who is more offensively minded defenseman in Iowa and is placing lately lots of shots during the game there (in 45 games having already 98 shots; 5 goals; 8 assists; +/- +4).

14 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Maybe this team would score more if they tried watching film of some good pp units. 

The pp units that worry me while I watch usually have players that can pass move around looking for the shooter who is also moving around. When the passing lane opens they pass and shoot. Not pass, look, pass, look then shoot. 

The Wild have got to have one of the slowest and most predictable power plays in the League. That being said, it is coming in at a 21% clip, which isn't terrible. But it's not great either. They rank 15 out of 31 teams for power play percentage. Typically Minnesotan. Nice and average.

11 hours ago, Alexandron said:

After our loss last night in a shootout and our lower ability to put at least 1 goal in SO during that game, I started to look on youtube for the best technique and nicest shootout goals in NHL. Here is a video which I found there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ4TEhdfLQw

Some great stick handlers there. Can't say who on the Wild could even compare.

Some of those that get in close these days may not be attempted as much since I see more Poke-checking done by the goalies.

Archived