Game 77: Flyers at Stars; 3/27 @ 8:30

Howie58

We are installed as mild underdogs in this match-up.  

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-dallas-odds-march-27-2018-870654

This game pits a Dallas Team on its longest winless streak since moving from Minneapolis versus a Flyers team that's desperate to keep earning points.  

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/3-27-2018/philadelphia-flyers-vs-dallas-stars-expert-prediction-7902/

Chris Altruda sees Mrazek as our starter, Bishop between the pipes for Dallas:

https://statsalt.com/games/nhl/3-27-2018/philadelphia-flyers-vs-dallas-stars-expert-prediction-1477/

Bishop is 2-2-1 lifetime (2.60 GAA) against the Flyer; Mrazek has lost his last two against the Stars. Dallas has taken 3 of the last 4 against the Flyers at home.

I would dread coaching against  Dallas.  They have nothing to lose.  On paper we should win.  We need a quick start and at least reasonably competent goaltending.  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Panthers are now 4 points behind the Flyers. A must win this game is.

Mrazek in net too.......it ain't looking good for the Flyers.

They have wasted their wiggle room. Devils are 3 points back with a game in hand.

Flyers could use some help from the Canes and Oilers.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So Bill M. reports Lyon to get the start.

Not sure what it will take to get Hagg back in the lineup.

I'm guessing it will have to be an injury.

Why can’t Gudas get suspended when they need him to? :VeryCool:

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Big chance for a letdown here..Dallas is due for a win and we have a psychological letdown coming off a game with Pens.

Yeah, not liking the "psychology" around this game.  Maybe Dallas has completely given up or maybe they get pissed off and come out hungry.  Maybe the Flyers bear down or maybe they play down to their level.  I could see a 4-1 game going either way, honestly.  Lots of good goal scorers on the other side.  Will be curious who Hakstol has against their top line.

Well, I have more faith in Lyon than PM, but agree with Mr. Jeremy that this is a real trap game for all the wrong reasons.   And when Benn gets going, he is like a wrecking machine.  

100% a must win tonight ...   fast forward - Avs are not going to be easy and they need 2 points out of this back-to-back to stay alive in the race.   Points in the last 5 have helped stay in the race but they have not made up much ground.   Time to play a full 60 minutes and solid defense b/c both our goalies are not capable of stealing a game.

Here is an interesting take on the game:  

58 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

oh, I am sure it will be that defensive stalwart (pylon) Filp....

Yes, "Coach MurrayCraven" has support for the non Filpulla gig as a shut-down player:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/3/27/17167524/flyers-vs-stars-preview-lineups-start-time-tv-coverage-live-steam-info

He is responsible but slow.  Lehtera fits that bill as well.  

Flyers have picked up 8 of 10 points over their last 5 (3-0-2), so they're trending in the right direction again.

5-3 Flyers, because I don't trust any goalie to allow fewer than 3.

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

Flyers have picked up 8 of 10 points over their last 5 (3-0-2), so they're trending in the right direction again.

5-3 Flyers, because I don't trust any goalie to allow fewer than 3.

Well they need some Ws if the Panthers win their games in hand they would be tied with the Flyers and have the ROW edge.

Unless Florida takes some losses.

Best thing the Flyers can do is win.

It doesn't have to be in regulation becuase the Avs will be even harder to beat.

And the Devils are even closer.

Winning solves everything!

I am at work...was about to make a cup of coffee...now I feel like leaving and getting a drink...or wondering if lunch will sit.  Thank G_d I will work out before the game....the thought of PM in goal puts knots in my tummy.  I feel badly for Lyon.  He has grown a lot, and he has to take a back to seat to a guy who started well and has been sieve-like ever since.  

Scratching my head on this one too!!!!! Why wouldn't you go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win? Unless he goes with Lyon against Colorado then I could maybe understand going with leaky Pete but I would much rather have Lyon in net on both nights, I'm sure he could handle the workload, provided some semblance of a defense shows up!

I've said it before but from my vantage, see if Lyon is a prospect worth keeping for future consideration.  PM has had his audition and I don't think he is worth keeping.

On that score, we should probably start another thread.  This is what will happen with our buddy Neuvy.  I can't see him in a Flyers uniform next year either. 

I agree 100% mrazek shot his was already and missed the (pucks) target ,imho he hasn't earned the chance at a new contract in Philly, or even be in there on anything more than a backup role, right now! Maybe if we told him every morning that he just got traded, he would play the way he did when he got here!!! I think he brought alot of false hope to some (me included, so don't get offended) desperate fans, starving for something , someone to "save" our season and take us on a (serious) cup run

Yeah, i'm not sure why Lyon doesn't get an honest shot....one and done. WHY!? I didn't get to see the Pens game....Why was Lyon pulled anyway? I mean.....we give up 4-5 goals EVERY SINGLE GAME. GIVE THE KID A LEGIT SHOT!...

Ah, screw it......Go flyers. I'd REALLY love to see some playoff hockey! I'm a believer in the "once your in" idea....makes the playoffs that much greater! Every game is another step. I hope Mrasek stands on his head and pitches a shut out tonight.

JUST WIN. DO IT......win.

Archived