Name of hockey stop drill

Barbara Lich

In Czech ice hockey, there's a practice drill called 'brzda-brzda' (the literal translation is 'brake-brake' or 'stop-stop'). It's basically a series of sprints ended by a hockey stop. Would anyone know the English name, if there is one?

The drill is structured as follows: the players start at the goal line, skate to the blue line, hockey-stop/brake, skate back to the goal line, stop, skate to the red line, stop, back to the goal line, stop, skate to the second blue line, stop, back to the goal line, stop, and, finally, go all the way to the other goal line, stop, and sprint back to come to a stop at the starting position.

Thanks in advance!

23 hours ago, Barbara Lich said:

In Czech ice hockey, there's a practice drill called 'brzda-brzda' (the literal translation is 'brake-brake' or 'stop-stop'). It's basically a series of sprints ended by a hockey stop. Would anyone know the English name, if there is one?

The drill is structured as follows: the players start at the goal line, skate to the blue line, hockey-stop/brake, skate back to the goal line, stop, skate to the red line, stop, back to the goal line, stop, skate to the second blue line, stop, back to the goal line, stop, and, finally, go all the way to the other goal line, stop, and sprint back to come to a stop at the starting position.

Thanks in advance!

We did this all the time. Has various names in the Canadian context in think: manmakers is the one I recall, but that's an expression from the 1970s/80s i imagine.

Kids these days probably adopt the NHL term "bag skate" or equivalent. Or something with the word "vomit" or "puke" in it probably.

Welcome to the site. I can't seem to recall the actual name of the drill, but I know that my hometown Windsor Spitfires did this drill with literally every head coach they had. It's basically a hockey staple, done at nearly every practice at every level. Wayne Maxner started and ended practices with this drill. 

In hoops we called this the Michigan dribble.

it sucked.

In volleyball we called it "conditioning".

it sucked.

In baseball it was called the grass drill..it sucked. (on the infield, over and back on the "grass part" = 1 rep)

I had a coach who would ****** count the blades of grass in our hands if he called 5 and you had 11 blades of grass do it over...

it sucked. 

boy, I miss playing sports.

On 1/26/2018 at 1:09 PM, Barbara Lich said:

Thanks in advance!

In USA Hockey parlance that is affectionately called a "Herbie" after the late Herb Brooks, coach of the Miracle on Ice squad and it dates to that run when, according to lore, before the Olympics the team had a particularly lackluster game against Norway and Brooks refused to let them leave the ice and instead had them do this drill over and over again. In the movie, they turn the lights out to get him to stop.

The quasi-official, long term name for it is a "suicide drill" because if you do it, it'll kill ya.

Archived