Game #3 - Flyers (4) at Blackhawks (7) - Oct 18, 2016 @ 8:30 pm ET

OccamsRazor

42 minutes ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

I just don't think Provorov is going to gain anything development wise playing another year in juniors.  I don't think he would be refining a skill set as much as he would be able to lean on habits he can get away with down there that would otherwise be exposed at the NHL level.  I think at this stage of his development he has all the physical tools, its just a matter of discovering his mental makeup and how quickly he can learn from his mistakes and limitations.

We had Alex Pietrangelo here in Barrie at this stage of his junior career....worked out alright for him. And yes, he was every bit (if not more) highly touted as Provorov. And bigger physically. 

I'm not saying send Provorov back asap...just that it wouldn't be the worst thing for him.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Provorov is being a rookie. He's having some struggles (Some big ones last night), but you can see that he reads the play right most of the time, his passes are crisp and he moves very well.

He hasn't adjusted to the speed of the NHL yet. In general, the top vets don't go full speed in the pre-season, and many of the top vets weren't even there due to the World Cup. He has the skating ability and seems to have the smarts to adjust. But throwing him out for top line minutes against top competition is probably not the best idea for his confidence. Too many nights like last night could end up derailing and setting back his development. It's a balancing act that I don't envy Hakstol having to deal with, especially with our top pair out.

I'm not clamoring to send him back, but at least it's an option the Flyers have. I agree with @flyercanuck above that it probably won't be the worst thing ever, but they have a few more games to see if he can get past last night and get his feet back under him. In the end, I want the Flyers to do what's best for the team and the player long-term. If it means taking a hit this season by sending Provorov back to juniors and playing someone else because they think that he has a better chance to hit his ceiling that way, then by all means, do that. But I don't expect them to make that evaluation based on one good game or on one bad game, and we shouldn't either.

Ya I agree I like him going against the NHL's best, trial by fire and all that. Sure it's risky considering the Flyers' D isn't exactly loaded with talent but you gotta figure if Prov can adapt and overcome this year he's going to gain invaluable experience that'll help him and the Flyers down the road.

1 minute ago, canoli said:

Ya I agree I like him going against the NHL's best, trial by fire and all that. Sure it's risky considering the Flyers' D isn't exactly loaded with talent but you gotta figure if Prov can adapt and overcome this year he's going to gain invaluable experience that'll help him and the Flyers down the road.

You know who was worse than the teenage defenceman on those plays? Neuvrith and Streit.

• brelic changed the title to Game #3 - Flyers (4) at Blackhawks (7) - Oct 18, 2016 @ 8:30 pm ET

Archived