Game #3 - Flyers (4) at Blackhawks (7) - Oct 18, 2016 @ 8:30 pm ET

OccamsRazor

7 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Provorov is having a terrible night. H should never be out there agaisnt any team`s top line at this point in his career 

A guy losing his edge is not a terrible night. Now his partner just standing there really doing nothing being weak in his own end is well.......his partner's fault.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

it was a lot more than just losing an edge on that one play....

Provorov was a team-worst -5. That's not just "the other guy." He had a terrible night. Period. 

52 minutes ago, brelic said:

Provorov was a team-worst -5. That's not just "the other guy." He had a terrible night. Period. 

Which is exactly what you'd expect to happen  to a teenager  starting his career in the NHL on a team for the most part lacking real NHL defenceman where he's thrown into the top pairing role with a lousy partner. 

9 hours ago, King Knut said:

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Which is exactly what you'd expect to happen  to a teenager  starting his career in the NHL on a team for the most part lacking real NHL defenceman where he's thrown into the top pairing role with a lousy partner. 

Folks needs to calm down.  A 19 year old kid had a bad game against a VERY good team.   He is going to be fine... 

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Right. Which is why he shouldn't be in that role. Getting Gudas back will help. Getting MDZ back will help even more. 

3 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Folks needs to calm down.  A 19 year old kid had a bad game against a VERY good team.   He is going to be fine... 

I agree, I was just thinking of ways a coach might encourage him to out a bad night behind himself... Which is the real test.  Not the bad night... Getting beyond it. 

Just now, brelic said:

Right. Which is why he shouldn't be in that role. Getting Gudas back will help. Getting MDZ back will help even more. 

I said that when the season started...didn't like the idea of Provorov starting his career on a team missing two of their best defencemen. There's enough pressure on a teenager as it is. defence is even tougher. Then throwing him into as tough a role as this...recipe for disaster. 

Then people freak when it happens?

12 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I said that when the season started...didn't like the idea of Provorov starting his career on a team missing two of their best defencemen. There's enough pressure on a teenager as it is. defence is even tougher. Then throwing him into as tough a role as this...recipe for disaster. 

Then people freak when it happens?

It's ok for him to make mistakes. It's expected at his age and he is completely inexperienced. Given a few more years (junior/AHL), those mistakes would probably still be there, but I doubt he'd get torched for -5, you know what I mean? He would be better equipped to handle the NHL, no question.

The real question is whether or not a) he's still too green for the NHL, and b) if not, can he handle having really bad nights like last night? How will that affect him over 82 games? How will he handle being a healthy scratch or moved to the third pairing with sheltered minutes, for example? 

He was almost directly responsible for 3 goals against. Again, it happens, and we'll see how he bounces back. He hasn't really looked all that great through three games. He looks timid and intimidated in a lot of puck battles, and he's still finding his positioning at the NHL level.

All of it, of course, was expected. :)

54 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Exactly.

None of it was Streit's he was lights out defensively last year its that damn rookie boat anchor that makes him look so old and slow....:NinjaLookLeftRight1:....

...poor kid has to do everything...it's ok he'll learn and get better.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I agree, I was just thinking of ways a coach might encourage him to out a bad night behind himself... Which is the real test.  Not the bad night... Getting beyond it. 

you are correct.... hopefully this kid can shake it off and get back on the horse.   He seems to be very mature so I expect he is gonna be fine.

Provorov was bad last night.  I don't think anyone is calling him a bum or a bust but he flat out made a lot of mistakes.  It's okay... he's 19, a rookie, and put in a very difficult position because of injury (DelZotto) and a boneheaded hit (Gudas).  

The bright side is his mistakes were largely him trying to do too much and being too aggressive which is definitely coachable.  He wasn't physically overmatched and he didn't look like a deer in headlights playing scared.  The first goal he chased Kane and over committed instead of maintaining good position.  On the 2nd goal where he lost an edge he probably should have steered the puck to the side boards and waited for help rather than trying to make a play solo being the last line of defense in front of the goalie.  The last goal that caused the 2 on 1 goal (Kane to Panarin) was him trying to make an aggressive play at the blue line with a pass to Coots.  It was a bad pass that Coots couldn't handle and it was off to the races.  

I don't have a problem with him making mistakes now.  If he's making the same mistakes frequently 50-100 games into his career then there is cause for concern.   

I only watched the last half of the game and it reminded me that while we have made lots of progress under H-squared, there is still room for improvement...and I wish we had Panerin kind of player who can score with such finesse and speed.  Provorov was schooled by a best-of-breed line. Maybe that is what he needs early on.  Meanwhile, neither goalie looked that good last night.  You might say we'd win most games scoring four goals. And the team has more speed than we've seen in years. I look forward to seeing them on home ice.

33 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I only watched the last half of the game and it reminded me that while we have made lots of progress under H-squared, there is still room for improvement...and I wish we had Panerin kind of player who can score with such finesse and speed.  Provorov was schooled by a best-of-breed line. Maybe that is what he needs early on.  Meanwhile, neither goalie looked that good last night.  You might say we'd win most games scoring four goals. And the team has more speed than we've seen in years. I look forward to seeing them on home ice.

The positive from last night's game is that the Flyers overcame a 4 goal deficit, led largely by Captain Claude. 

20 minutes ago, brelic said:

The positive from last night's game is that the Flyers overcame a 4 goal deficit, led largely by Captain Claude. 

Not to rain on the Captain's parade but it was his neutral zone turnover that led to the Hawks GWG.

I don't remember who said it here so this isn't just intended for you but Jake and Giroux getting going is huge for this team.

I'm not blaming or anything but the 16 million dollar men need to produce like Hawk's do.

It is needed big time for the home game.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't remember who said it here so this isn't just intended for you but Jake and Giroux getting going is huge for this team.

I'm not blaming or anything but the 16 million dollar men need to produce like Hawk's do.

It is needed big time for the home game.

Giroux did have 3 assists and now 4 points in 3 games but again its mostly PP production.  He and Voracek really need to produce more 5 on 5.  The lack of 5 on 5 production and the poor PK the last two seasons is what has really hampered this team.  I just feel that against the better teams G and Jake's only chances at scoring are on the PP and frankly for what they are paid that is not good enough.   

6 hours ago, brelic said:

It's ok for him to make mistakes. It's expected at his age and he is completely inexperienced. Given a few more years (junior/AHL), those mistakes would probably still be there, but I doubt he'd get torched for -5, you know what I mean? He would be better equipped to handle the NHL, no question.

The real question is whether or not a) he's still too green for the NHL, and b) if not, can he handle having really bad nights like last night? How will that affect him over 82 games? How will he handle being a healthy scratch or moved to the third pairing with sheltered minutes, for example? 

He was almost directly responsible for 3 goals against. Again, it happens, and we'll see how he bounces back. He hasn't really looked all that great through three games. He looks timid and intimidated in a lot of puck battles, and he's still finding his positioning at the NHL level.

All of it, of course, was expected. :)

Herein lies the debate....is a 19 year old defenceman ready to take on such a big role or would he be better off playing 25-30 minutes a game in junior refining an already great skill set and stroking that confidence.

I'm not worried too much about a guy who came over from Russia at 14 to learn and adapt to hockey and life over here. I'm sure he can handle what happened last night. The problem is with our garbage D, if it keeps happening. Ideally we'd like our future anchor on the blueline to be getting schooled by a wile veteran. The problem is, he's probably the most wile guy we have.

Hopefully Gudas comes back with his head out of his arse and Zot can get back sooner rather than later...not that he's great defensively.

When Simmonds hit the post was I the only one that "had a bad feeling about this"?  As soon as I saw that I had this feeling that it was going to be just one of those nights.  I was very shocked to see the Flyers tie it up but I can't help think how the complexity of the game would have changed had that shot gone in. and knotted it at 1-1.

Oh well.  C'est la vie mes amis. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Herein lies the debate....is a 19 year old defenceman ready to take on such a big role or would he be better off playing 25-30 minutes a game in junior refining an already great skill set and stroking that confidence.

I'm not worried too much about a guy who came over from Russia at 14 to learn and adapt to hockey and life over here. I'm sure he can handle what happened last night. The problem is with our garbage D, if it keeps happening. Ideally we'd like our future anchor on the blueline to be getting schooled by a wile veteran. The problem is, he's probably the most wile guy we have.

Hopefully Gudas comes back with his head out of his arse and Zot can get back sooner rather than later...not that he's great defensively.

I just don't think Provorov is going to gain anything development wise playing another year in juniors.  I don't think he would be refining a skill set as much as he would be able to lean on habits he can get away with down there that would otherwise be exposed at the NHL level.  I think at this stage of his development he has all the physical tools, its just a matter of discovering his mental makeup and how quickly he can learn from his mistakes and limitations.

Archived