Game #3 - Flyers (4) at Blackhawks (7) - Oct 18, 2016 @ 8:30 pm ET

OccamsRazor

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, brelic said:

I'm guessing VV is in the lineup because he kills penalties and Cousins doesn't?

When Schenn comes back, someone else sits. It will either be Lyubimov or VV, I'm guessing. Or both, and then reinsert Cousins. 

I'm guessing that is the logic but they still have plenty of forwards that kill penalties without VV.  What they don't have plenty of is guys that have a scoring/playmaking presence in the bottom 6 and that is what Cousins can give them. 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I'm guessing VV is in the lineup because he kills penalties and Cousins doesn't?

When Schenn comes back, someone else sits. It will either be Lyubimov or VV, I'm guessing. Or both, and then reinsert Cousins. 

Cousisn can kill penalties. But even more importantly maybe is he DRAWS them VV doesn't....besides he couldn't put the puck in the ocean if he was standing in a boat......

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Cousisn can kill penalties. But even more importantly maybe is he DRAWS them VV doesn't....besides he couldn't put the puck in the ocean if he was standing in a boat......

Yeah I agree with you. I'm just trying to figure out why he's still in the lineup. I know there's a Hakstol connection, but you'd think at this level, that is less relevant. 

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I think people forget that Cousins is 23 and played out his Jr career (4 years). So why is he being scratched again? He's got 2 pts in 2 games is +1.....

Can only play 3 3rd liners at a time.  Belly is the only center and he seems to be working out right on the third right now. 

Presumably Raffl will be joining the third line as soon as Schenn returns. 

They liked Lyubimov in camp and preseason.  He's just the easiest to move back and forth.  Better to give him these minutes tonight before you have to send him back to the AHL. 

Presumably as well, they like him playing 15-20 minutes a night in Lehigh playing the role he'll play with the flyers eventually than playing 5-6 mins a night on the 4th line. 

So this is essentially the last chance to see him before that bitter pill must be swallowed so he gets the nod over Cousins who I expect back for the home opener. 

Things will really get interesting when Laughton returns from his injury next month especially if everyone else is still healthy and playing well. 

Just now, King Knut said:

Can only play 3 3rd liners at a time.  Belly is the only center and he seems to be working out right on the third right now.

Cousins centered the 3rd line from the time he was called up to the end of last season. He has never played wing (AFAIK at any level) before the last game of the preseason. 

Presumably Raffl will be joining the third line as soon as Schenn returns. 

They liked Lyubimov in camp and preseason.  He's just the easiest to move back and forth.  Better to give him these minutes tonight before you have to send him back to the AHL. 

Presumably as well, they like him playing 15-20 minutes a night in Lehigh playing the role he'll play with the flyers eventually than playing 5-6 mins a night on the 4th line. 

So this is essentially the last chance to see him before that bitter pill must be swallowed so he gets the nod over Cousins who I expect back for the home opener. 

Things will really get interesting when Laughton returns from his injury next month especially if everyone else is still healthy and playing well. 

I assume Laughton will end up in LV when he returns.

When the forwards are healthy, I would like to see

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds

Konecny - Couturier - Voracek

Raffl - Cousins - Weise

Bellemare - Gordon - Read

Vandevelde

With Laughton and Lyubimov back in Lehigh Valley. If you keep Lyubimov up, slide Bellemare to center the 4th and scratch Gordon.

Kane, Toews, Panarin, Keith all with 0 goals so far...

same for Giroux, Voracek, Konecny and Gostisbehere.

I got a feeling it'll be a 6-5 type game tonight. Voracek needs to score tonight. As a Flyers' fan he's my biggest concern; a lot rests on what kind of season he has.

9 hours ago, AJgoal said:

At the same time, if the biggest issue we can come up with right now is why a 4th liner isn't scratched, that's pretty good.

Is it?  It's at worst a tie game after 3 periods if VandeVelde and Lybimov arent playing. 

10 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Provorov is having a terrible night. H should never be out there agaisnt any team`s top line at this point in his career 

Well, Streit should never be out against the top line either.  Combined it's a horrible situation. 

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

Ugly....   

Keep feeding Provorov minutes.   Kid had one bad play there but whatever.   I would also pull Nuevy....

Losing his edge doesn't bother me. How he responds and bounces back is what I'll judge. 

2 hours ago, intheslot said:

Vv brings more size and pk,and he plays from zone to zone just some grit that this team needs .. 

Should be a good game . 

anybody see G .????

tk gets his first

4 to 2 Flyers win .

Putting Lyubimov and VandeVelde in this game made for a combined -4. 

Bring back Cousins. Bye bye to those two. 

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Well, Streit should never be out against the top line either.  Combined it's a horrible situation. 

Provorov could have been paired with Duncan Keith tonight and it wouldn't have made much of a difference.  There is not a defenseman out there that could have covered up for Provorov's gaffes tonight.  

4 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Raffl - Cousins - Weise

Vandevelde

With Laughton and Lyubimov back in Lehigh Valley. If you keep Lyubimov up, slide Bellemare to center the 4th and scratch Gordon.

read is somehow a scoring machine he stays where he is. 

4 hours ago, canoli said:

Kane, Toews, Panarin, Keith all with 0 goals so far...

same for Giroux, Voracek, Konecny and Gostisbehere.

I got a feeling it'll be a 6-5 type game tonight. Voracek needs to score tonight. As a Flyers' fan he's my biggest concern; a lot rests on what kind of season he has.

If Jake doesn't score much but his line mates continue to put up over a goal a game, I'm fine with it. Eventually they'll double coots and or Konex and Jake will get more room. 

Right now he's creating room for them just by being a threat. 

5 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Raffl - Cousins - Weise

Vandevelde

Gordon and Weise both have to stay up to shave off Giroux's PK minutes. 

If Cousins can keep up his level of play at C, the third should be him, Raffl and Read.  Read is a machine right now. 

Belly, Gordon Weise fourth line. 

Lyuby and Laughton phantoms for call ups, Vandy bench. 

Archived