Injuries and Cap

King Knut

On 10/8/2016 at 6:54 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I think best thing to do is just LTIR Del Zotto and be done with it.

And of course whatever else needs to be done to get to 23 bodies for the roster.

In Ron we trust.

Yeah,  the MDZ thing is a curse with a silver lining.

Ronny can let the pots simmer for a month.  

When Laughton and MDZ get back there will be roster issues to address at that time.  In the mean time Provo and Konex get 9 to either make those choices extremely difficult or extremely easy.  

Good Morning All:

One thing in this equation we can't forget is expansion.  Some "filler" may be on hand this year to effectively protect the folks we want long-term. Gordon is one year...Weise, who knows? Even Weal...again, in the back of management minds...this reasoning has to be part of the equation.  Having a Weal on hand to put out there down the road may be important if there is someone we really want around next year.   

Best,

Howie

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

When Laughton and MDZ get back there will be roster issues to address at that time.  In the mean time Provo and Konex get 9 to either make those choices extremely difficult or extremely easy.

I don't know KK, Hextall hasn't shown to be a guy who is down with the "9 game looksie" he has been quoted multiple times for multiple years in multiple forums that if a person makes the team they are expected to play the whole year.  I don't think either TK or IP wind up in Lehigh Valley once Laughton and MDZ come back.  

13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't know KK, Hextall hasn't shown to be a guy who is down with the "9 game looksie" he has been quoted multiple times for multiple years in multiple forums that if a person makes the team they are expected to play the whole year.  I don't think either TK or IP wind up in Lehigh Valley once Laughton and MDZ come back.  

They can't...its junior or the bigs for both.

59 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Can't be done.  They stay for the season or go back to Juniors after 9.

When Laughton and MDZ come back from Injury (Schultz will be much sooner) There will be cap issues once again.  

Read and MacDonald will still be the easiest targets as they will most likely not be picked up due to their salaries and because their salaries (though not worth full value) are worth more than most other options in the lineup if they're in the AHL.  

They will have to not just be more valuable on the ice than the worst player at their respective positions, but like MacDonald last year, they'll have to be better than the next best combination of players it would take to get the team under the cap.

Last Year Mac alone wasn't better than the Laughton and another player it would have taken to make up for as much cap room as Mac did.

Same is true this year for Mac and Read.

Fortunately, or un, Mac has played that well in the preseason.  We'll see what that means now that games will start to count.  

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

Can't be done.  They stay for the season or go back to Juniors after 9.

“This isn’t a nine-game tryout or six-game tryout,” Hextall reiterated on Monday. “Those two kids are on this team right now. And at this point, we expect them to be here all year. They’ve done a good job. They worked hard all summer.”

“Travis has been a nice fit there and Ivan has been a good fit on the back end. Those kids, they made this team on their own. They are not on the team because anyone felt like [it was] politically or anything else. These kids made the team on merit. The plan right now is to keep them the whole year.”

I have to agree. Those two make this team better no way around it. And for the record i wish some of these reporters would get TK's weight right damn it he has worked hard and you can tell he has put on some much needed bulk...he is not 175 he is up to 186 now....please Timmy Pistachio get it right!!!!

End of rant. 

46 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

“This isn’t a nine-game tryout or six-game tryout,” Hextall reiterated on Monday. “Those two kids are on this team right now. And at this point, we expect them to be here all year. They’ve done a good job. They worked hard all summer.”

Glorious!  The gauntlet has been dropped!

16 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

wow you two dudes completely missed my point. FC and KK

but it's all good because , i think those two young fellas have a bright future.

What was your point that we missed?  That he wouldn't want them around for a tryout basis and that the AHL was irrelevant?

I wouldn't say I missed it, the first part is valid and Hextall seems to have backed it up.

But the fact that the AHL isn't a possibility is extremely relevant (otherwise keeping them would be a no brainer as they're on entry levels and can't be claimed off waivers).  

The larger question of the thread that was complicating keeping them is that Hextall is up against the cap and the roster limit.  He had to shed salary and roster spots, but the suspensions to Gudas and Schenn and the injuries to Manning Laughton and MDZ limited who he was able to send down to the AHL to make the Cap room.  

MDZ's injury makes the cap room situation easier for the time being, but this is still an issue.  when MDZ and Laughton come back, players will need to be dropped to the Phantoms and now as you accurately suspected, it won't be Konex or Provo.  Hextall will have to shed almost 2 million.  Who will it be and how?

Archived