hf101

Flyers unveil gold-accented 50th anniversary jerseys  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Like them?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Unwritten rule...don't touch it unless you earned it. 

Thats just for players.  The Cup gets manhandled by so many people every year... Families, friends, kids... It was only ever meant that players/coaches not touch it.  ?

4 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

Thats just for players.  The Cup gets manhandled by so many people every year... Families, friends, kids... It was only ever meant that players/coaches not touch it.  ?

Been in a room with it 3 times (not counting HHOF)  nobody who didn't win it touched it. Maybe a Canadian thing, i don't know.

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Been in a room with it 3 times (not counting HHOF)  nobody who didn't win it touched it. Maybe a Canadian thing, i don't know.

Saw it at the draft in Philly. Everyone that was getting ready to have their picture taken with it said "don't touch it." I think I only saw one person touch it.

12 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Saw it at the draft in Philly. Everyone that was getting ready to have their picture taken with it said "don't touch it." I think I only saw one person touch it.

Not touching it is clearly making a difference in Philly. 

27 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't think it's supposed to make a difference...I just think you're supposed to earn the right IMO.

A few years ago I was up on the French River and caught a very large pike. This guy asked if he could get a photo of him holding it.

Kind of like that?

I'm just happy to divert the topic away from those awful uniforms...

however, if they play well in them.  I will be first in line to lobby for a permanent switch.

you all have no idea how difficult stupidstitions have made my life...:5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

Just now, ruxpin said:

You don't get to touch it unless you win it and earn the right. Has nothing to do with whether a team will win it or not.

20 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

You don't get to touch it unless you win it and earn the right. Has nothing to do with whether a team will win it or not.

Sorry. For players yes. For fans, I think that's dumb. 

Good for you, Polaris. Must have been an awesome experience with your son. 

If I'm that close, I'm touching the **** out of it.   I don't have a lot of time for reverence for symbols/inanimate objects. 

For players, I get the superstition thing kind of. But for fans whose team has won. Touch the **** out of it if you get the chance. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Good for you, Polaris. Must have been an awesome experience with your son. 

If I'm that close, I'm touching the **** out of it.   I don't have a lot of time for reverence for symbols/inanimate objects. 

For players, I get the superstition thing kind of. But for fans whose team has won. Touch the **** out of it if you get the chance. 

Again, I think it's different if you're Canadian. We've grown up with hockey as a religion. I think it's kind of a "not worthy" thing...oh my god, IT'S ACTUALLY THE STANLEY FREAKIN' CUP! 

I swear you'll be struck by lightning if you didn't actually play and you touch it. :5726ba4a2f0cc_nonono:

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Nope. Never will. Maybe because I played. If the Eagles ever win a Lombardi, I'll play catch with it. But not the Stanley Cup. Maybe it's because there's only THE Cup.

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Nope. Never will. Maybe because I played. If the Eagles ever win a Lombardi, I'll play catch with it. But not the Stanley Cup. Maybe it's because there's only THE Cup.

See, you're talking to someone that would light a Bible on fire to warm a cup of coffee, so..  

7 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I do respect what you and FC are saying. It's not like the concept is news to me 

But over 40 years of paying for tickets and jerseys and living and dying each year with the team, etc., AND with Philadelphia as part of the name of the team, if the Flyers ever win it, I'm touching the Cup enough for all three of us and won't blink. 

30 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I do respect what you and FC are saying. It's not like the concept is news to me 

But over 40 years of paying for tickets and jerseys and living and dying each year with the team, etc., AND with Philadelphia as part of the name of the team, if the Flyers ever win it, I'm touching the Cup enough for all three of us and won't blink. 

I don't know if that's the take on it or not... As fans you've won it too?  I dunno. I disagree about the Canadian thing too because plenty of Canadian players' families get pictures holding it and drinking from it.  The NHL book of etiquette lists it as a player superstition only... Not fans. ;) lol 

4 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

I don't know if that's the take on it or not... As fans you've won it too?  I dunno. I disagree about the Canadian thing too because plenty of Canadian players' families get pictures holding it and drinking from it.  The NHL book of etiquette lists it as a player superstition only... Not fans. ;) lol 

I don't know whether fans have won it too.   But I think they have a right to be excited and touch the damn thing  

The rest is simply superstition. The "deserving"  thing is simply rationalization of an irrational superstition. 

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't know whether fans have won it too.   But I think they have a right to be excited and touch the damn thing  

The rest is simply superstition. The "deserving"  thing is simply rationalization of an irrational superstition. 

Your comments are giving me a super rash.

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Meant it as in regards to your comment... Fans spend years riding the coaster of ups and downs with their team and the teams don't exist without the fans.   Lol

I get it that it's their "golden anniversary" year of being a franchise, but they should've made it a much deeper shade of gold, or brought back the black jerseys and placed the gold numbering on them. 

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

he's got the greatest hair, beautiful, the best...!

Plus, the words! Don't forget the words - he's got the best, the bigliest words! (not that he or his supporters can read, but I digress)

Archived