The decline of Giroux & the wrench in Hexy's plan

murraycraven

8 hours ago, radoran said:

Oh, I'll put Homer into the "failure" slot in a heartbeat, but it was Crater for Couturier AND Voracek. As you know, I'm not a big fan of "won the trades" but that's not a Bad Trade in and of itself.

And, again, it comes back to the tyranny of the high expectations that came with blowing up a core that had made a Final.

That said, what would you rather have in 2021-22? A 29-year-old Couturier making $4.3M or a 37-year-old Crater making $5.27M?

I'm just not at all seeing where Couturier is a "failure".

Homer failed big time.  He overspent and poorly planned out the future.  The Carter trade was though one example of where he really tried to build for the future.  The trade was a favorable trade for the Flyers.   Currently, I  don't view Couturier as a failure, but I do have high expectations for him in this his 2nd year at 2nd line-center and 6th season in the NHL.  50 pts is a must for a full season from him, if he scores over 60 I'd be thrilled, either way it's time for him to meet expectations to take some of the pressure off of Giroux's line..

That said, what would you rather have in 2021-22? A 29-year-old Couturier making $4.3M or a 37-year-old Crater making $5.27M?

It isn't quite that simple as you would have a $5. 27 M center and no $8.2M winger  :P

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, hf101 said:

Homer failed big time.  He overspent and poorly planned out the future.  The Carter trade was though one example of where he really tried to build for the future.  The trade was a favorable trade for the Flyers.   Currently, I  don't view Couturier as a failure, but I do have high expectations for him in this his 2nd year at 2nd line-center and 6th season in the NHL.  50 pts is a must for a full season from him, if he scores over 60 I'd be thrilled, either way it's time for him to meet expectations to take some of the pressure off of Giroux's line..

It isn't quite that simple as you would have a $5. 27 M center and no $8.2M winger  :P

Again - and you didn't see my reply when you posted - it's arguable that Couturier is the best 8 overall in the past 15 years.

5 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Sorry..this thread is getting off track...it started on about Giroux and is getting into a Coots debate.....

That is because we are counting on Couturier's line to score points to take the pressure off Giroux and not being a one line team.  

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Again - and you didn't see my reply when you posted - it's arguable that Couturier is the best 8 overall in the past 15 years.

hmmm.  I"m not sure on that.  Rasmus Ristolainen and William Nylander aren't too shabby of picks at #8 also.

9 hours ago, hf101 said:

hmmm.  I"m not sure on that.  Rasmus Ristolainen and William Nylander aren't too shabby of picks at #8 also.

I LOVE Ristolainen and both Nylanders went 8, but I said the past 15 years :)

Look, I totally get it and might have preferred Dougie Hamilton myself, but I do think that Couturier was the best player available when he was taken and is going to be given the opportunity to be a 55-60 point center.

Jeff Crater was... 23 when he had his 84 point breakout season....

Archived