Must it be the final year for our 1/1A Goaltenders?

canoli

13 minutes ago, canoli said:

@mojo1917 & @radoran

Grazie! Google is all well and good but reading your posts beats sifting thru websites any day.

Neuvirth's an interesting player. If he has another good year backing up Mason and decides to test the market I wonder how much interest he'll garner.

@King Knut

Ya that's a good point re: Stolarz. Vegas will certainly have other priorities in the Poaching Draft and they'll get picks in the regular NHL draft too. No sense "wasting" one of their picks on an AHL goalie.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but if not, yeah... Totally.  I don't think you use the expansion draft for depth and magic beans.  You've got to ice a team from scratch in a few months.  You draft guys who are ready to play. 

If they sign Mason And someone else UFA   And for some reason hexy doesn't protect stole then, sure... Pick for depth.  Otherwise,. You gotta play hockey in 3 months. The maybe starter in 2 years can chill. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, canoli said:

Ya that's a good point re: Stolarz. Vegas will certainly have other priorities in the Poaching Draft and they'll get picks in the regular NHL draft too. No sense "wasting" one of their picks on an AHL goalie.

Not sure how true that is. Las Vegas will need goaltenders for their AHL club too....not everyone selected has to play in the NHL.

All they have to do is select the RFA and then sign him to a nice bridge like deal. Not saying he is all that but it isn't a foregone conclusion that Stolarz is of no use, he is only 22.

@King Knut - no sarcasm I agree with you.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

not everyone selected has to play in the NHL.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

but it isn't a foregone conclusion that Stolarz is of no use, he is only 22.

It seems to me the regular draft is where you fill your AHL roster (they'll be seeded 3rd from the bottom). The expansion draft is for putting an NHL team together not building up the stable. It's Vegas' one chance to sign bona fide NHL players without having to deal with any competing interests, which are normally considerable.

Naturally they'll be some shuffling around: an expansion draft player may end up in the A and a young kid from the regular draft may crack the team out of camp. But I think they'll be exceptionally exceptional (if you will).

2 hours ago, canoli said:

It seems to me the regular draft is where you fill your AHL roster (they'll be seeded 3rd from the bottom). The expansion draft is for putting an NHL team together not building up the stable. It's Vegas' one chance to sign bona fide NHL players without having to deal with any competing interests, which are normally considerable.

Naturally they'll be some shuffling around: an expansion draft player may end up in the A and a young kid from the regular draft may crack the team out of camp. But I think they'll be exceptionally exceptional (if you will).

They are drafting 30 players for a 23 man roster. And there is a percentage of the cap they have to meet.

I wouldn't particularly worry specifically about Stolarz unkess he's lights out in the AHL - at whjch point I'd imagine the Flyers would consider protecting him.

On 8/12/2016 at 9:34 AM, radoran said:

And he has had a record of injury which is certainly cause for concern.

he so very does.  and, imo, it isn't to the level of "concern", it is to the level of, "i don't see how you can go into any situation, be it a season or a playoff run, leaning on him."  i don't trust he can put together 2 weeks of regular starts, much less actually be The Guy for a team that hopes to move forward over any kind of length of time.

which sucks.  he really is awesome, i think he'd be right there at the top of all the lists if he were able to actually play a significant stretch.  he just isn't.  and hasn't.  and....i have to think, won't.

56 minutes ago, aziz said:

he so very does.  and, imo, it isn't to the level of "concern", it is to the level of, "i don't see how you can go into any situation, be it a season or a playoff run, leaning on him."  i don't trust he can put together 2 weeks of regular starts, much less actually be The Guy for a team that hopes to move forward over any kind of length of time.

which sucks.  he really is awesome, i think he'd be right there at the top of all the lists if he were able to actually play a significant stretch.  he just isn't.  and hasn't.  and....i have to think, won't.

Can't argue with a single letter of that.  I, too, really like his ability.  His fragility is just really a shame.

Well said, aziz.

4 hours ago, canoli said:

You don't draft kids and just put them in the AHL at 18. And they will be drafting more than 23 players....so where are they going to keep the other 7 players????

The AHL to develop and play till they are needed to be called up.

10 hours ago, radoran said:

They are drafting 30 players for a 23 man roster. And there is a percentage of the cap they have to meet.

I wouldn't particularly worry specifically about Stolarz unkess he's lights out in the AHL - at whjch point I'd imagine the Flyers would consider protecting him.

And they must draft three goaltenders, so they're not going to just be stocking the NHL.

I'm not too worried about Stolarz, but that could change depending on the season he has and who else is available. Off the top of my head, the tandems that I think will be important to watch from that specific standpoint will be Rask/Subban, Bishop/Vasielievsky, Fluery/Murray, and Luongo/Reimer. Depending on trades/re-signings, those are where I would be hoping to nab a goalie from if I'm Vegas. But Stolarz could very well be in the second tier if he has another successful season. It also will depend on who is made available from the teams where there are decent goalie choices. If Pittsburgh exposes Murray and Maata (for example), how likely is Vegas to skip Murray in favor of Maata? Lots of variables, and there's no real way to know how the chips will end up falling.

Just now, AJgoal said:

And they must draft three goaltenders, so they're not going to just be stocking the NHL.

I'm not too worried about Stolarz, but that could change depending on the season he has and who else is available. Off the top of my head, the tandems that I think will be important to watch from that specific standpoint will be Rask/Subban, Bishop/Vasielievsky, Fluery/Murray, and Luongo/Reimer. Depending on trades/re-signings, those are where I would be hoping to nab a goalie from if I'm Vegas. But Stolarz could very well be in the second tier if he has another successful season. It also will depend on who is made available from the teams where there are decent goalie choices. If Pittsburgh exposes Murray and Maata (for example), how likely is Vegas to skip Murray in favor of Maata? Lots of variables, and there's no real way to know how the chips will end up falling.

Barring a trade, I think it's obvious that Tampa exposes Bishop (does Vegas take a pending UFA?). Boston also still has Khobodin under contract so they could expose him. Fluery would depend a lot on how his season goes.

If I'm Florida, I'm exposing Luongo in a heartbeat (37 years old with five more seasons after this one). I'd lose him over Reimer every day.

Lots of variables, to be sure.

Just now, radoran said:

Barring a trade, I think it's obvious that Tampa exposes Bishop (does Vegas take a pending UFA?). Boston also still has Khobodin under contract so they could expose him. Fluery would depend a lot on how his season goes.

If I'm Florida, I'm exposing Luongo in a heartbeat (37 years old with five more seasons after this one). I'd lose him over Reimer every day.

Fluery can't be exposed, so he'd have to be traded for Pitt to protect Murray. Rask has a NMC which ends after the season. Not sure how that will work, since he's still under contract (if the contract expired they wouldn't need to protect him - but it's just the clause so IDK), so Subban may not be able to be protected even if Boston wants to, either. If I were Florida I'd also lose Luongo's contract. I don't know that the contract would scare Vegas, and he is still quite capable.

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Fluery can't be exposed, so he'd have to be traded for Pitt to protect Murray. Rask has a NMC which ends after the season. Not sure how that will work, since he's still under contract (if the contract expired they wouldn't need to protect him - but it's just the clause so IDK), so Subban may not be able to be protected even if Boston wants to, either. If I were Florida I'd also lose Luongo's contract. I don't know that the contract would scare Vegas, and he is still quite capable.

Yeah, I didn't look at the clauses on many of them. Could also be that if he doesn't reclaim the starter spot, Fleury would be willing to waive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2016 at 0:08 PM, radoran said:

Vegas will have plenty of options for goalies. They wouldnt even take Luongo

• 3 weeks later...

Flyers in wait-and-see mode with long-term plan for Mason, Neuvirth
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1100487
(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

Looks like Hextall is going to let Mason and Neuvirth battle it out. Interesting. I think Ron had something up his sleeve. Wouldn't surprise me if he has a deal in place with someone to land a starter. Very Interesting indeed.

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Flyers in wait-and-see mode with long-term plan for Mason, Neuvirth
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1100487
(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

Looks like Hextall is going to let Mason and Neuvirth battle it out. Interesting. I think Ron had something up his sleeve. Wouldn't surprise me if he has a deal in place with someone to land a starter. Very Interesting indeed.

Sounds like the best move for the club. May the best man win.

I think it is going to be a huge year for Stolarz or Lyons and it will impact the Flyers and their decision on what to do with Mase and Neuvy.

If either one of those kids look like they could be ready to backup some on the BIG club you could see Hexy pull the trigger on a trade of the guy they don't want to keep between Mase and Neuvy.

I'm not going to claim either is ready for that step up yet but if they coming and play well on the Phantoms it could give them the confidence to go ahead with a trade to get something for one of the losers of the competition.

Or they could just keep them both for depth for a playoff push.

Luongo keeps himself in fantastic shape, which explains his longevity. It's not a big risk if Florida still keeps him. Luongo also signed that contact before turning 34, so Florida can buy him out and not have the full cap hit count. He'll probably play until then and at a high level as well. Luongo is the least of Florida's worries.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2016 at 4:16 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I think it is going to be a huge year for Stolarz or Lyons and it will impact the Flyers and their decision on what to do with Mase and Neuvy.

If either one of those kids look like they could be ready to backup some on the BIG club you could see Hexy pull the trigger on a trade of the guy they don't want to keep between Mase and Neuvy.

I'm not going to claim either is ready for that step up yet but if they coming and play well on the Phantoms it could give them the confidence to go ahead with a trade to get something for one of the losers of the competition.

Or they could just keep them both for depth for a playoff push.

I kind of wanted to revisit this now that we've seen a bit of Stolarz and Lyon in preseason.  

I for one am at least a little encouraged enough by their performances that protecting Stolarz and seeing what happens with mason and Neuvy with the Vegas draft makes sense.  

I'd still like to see if we can resign one of them for a few years just to keep from having to throw Stolarz and or Lyon into the fire right away, but perhaps if in the worst case scenario, they platoon the role next year it won't be a nightmare scenario afterall?

Ideally, you'd want a Mason around.  He'd be a great mentor and has definitely earned his stripes here in Philly and deserves the respect of a vet 1A goaltender here, playing hard through some really crappy situations (of course coming here saved him from an even more difficult situation IMHO).  But if he's insisting on more than 3 years and/or a huge raise, I think it's respectful enough to let him achieve that elsewhere.  

As things are, I'd be content with Neuvy and Stolarz next year, but with Mason and Neuvy both UFA this summer, and the vegas draft making extending either one before July 1 a bit too risky, I think Hexy just has to work with the agents and do his best to secure one of them if he can.  

Either way, I don't think it makes sense at this point to sign either before the vegas draft and thus necessitate using an exemption for them.  I think Vegas could do well in drafting either one of them based on what I'd expect their cap hit to be and the duration of any contract signed before July 1.  

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I thought this was an interesting bit of info. It's stems from the analysis in this article: http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/17779214/nhl-ranking-every-starting-goaltender-tiers-2016-17-season - but you need to be an insider to read it.

Appleyard can shoot down anyone with stats. The guy is amazing.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Appleyard can shoot down anyone with stats. The guy is amazing.

Yeah. He's also really good for keeping up with the Flyers overseas prospects, which is why I started following him.

4 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Yeah. He's also really good for keeping up with the Flyers overseas prospects, which is why I started following him.

Ya, it's great having a Philly fan on that side of the pond that is so knowledgeable. I've invited him over here, but so far I don't think he's joined. 

Maybe if a few others put the pressure on... :5726b5f7a17fd_cointoss:

Mason never gets any respect and it ticks me off!!!!

He isn't the second coming of Parent or Dryden or Brodeur but good lord, the man can play and obviously well.  

Let's show 'em this year Mase!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

And he is very articulate and unbiased is what you always want when getting someone's opinion.

Archived