Must it be the final year for our 1/1A Goaltenders?

canoli

I think Neuvy needs 15 or so games predeadline to show his stuff.  Then I'm calling teams like Dallas that are contenders who need a goalie upgrade to see if I can pry their first ( assumedly late first) for him.  Two firsts in next years draft perhaps could be packaged to move up to draft a scorer which I still think we need long term. Preferably a left winger 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't understand the hated for Martin Biron. I thought he was fantastic and only asked what other starting goaltenders were making at the time. Let's face it - Holmgren cheated our when it came time to re-up Biron. He was well-liked and he came prepared to play.

I hope they keep Mason. If they let both Mason and Neuvirth walk, that leaves Stolarz and Lyon as the goaltenders. That's franchise suicide. As for free agency, do you not think Ben Bishop is going to cost? Do you want someone like Craig Anderson manning the fort? Exactly. The Flyers are best if keeping Mason and then grooming Stolarz or Lyon to take over, which is why I'm surprised Neuvirth was dealt. The grooming process needs to start soon.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

If both have similar years, keep Neuvirth and let Mason go. Then start bringing the kids along. Strictly on finances/cap. 

And Mason is not Bishop. 

I could see them letting Mase walk and signing Neuvy to a cheaper shorter deal and then going out and finding another vet to tandem with Neuvy...say just for conversation sake a Enroth type of guy.

What goes on down in Leigh will tell a lot too i would think Hexy will be watching closely down there to see if either Stolarz or Lyon can show that yes they are ready for a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Then show yes they could take on more of a role the following year.

Maybe backup one of the two of Mase or Neuvy should they decide to keep and resign one and then maybe before the deadline trade the other.

Playoff race could change all that too maybe they could just decide to keep both and make a call after the season and let one or both just walk to many variables right now to guess....

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I could see them letting Mase walk and signing Neuvy to a cheaper shorter deal and then going out and finding another vet to tandem with Neuvy...say just for conversation sake a Enroth type of guy.

What goes on down in Leigh will tell a lot too i would think Hexy will be watching closely down there to see if either Stolarz or Lyon can show that yes they are ready for a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Then show yes they could take on more of a role the following year.

Maybe backup one of the two of Mase or Neuvy should they decide to keep and resign one and then maybe before the deadline trade the other.

Playoff race could change all that too maybe they could just decide to keep both and make a call after the season and let one or both just walk to many variables right now to guess....

Yeah, I'm on board with all of that.  Nice post. 

Yeah, I have no idea what they do. Lots of variables, like you say.   Just kind of saying what I think I do if someone made the horrible  mistake of putting me in charge. Ask me again in January, the answer may change.  And again in March or June. 

The only thing I'll maintain is that $6M for Mason would be an inexcusable mistake. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I'm on board with all of that.  Nice post. 

Yeah, I have no idea what they do. Lots of variables, like you say.   Just kind of saying what I think I do if someone made the horrible  mistake of putting me in charge. Ask me again in January, the answer may change.  And again in March or June. 

The only thing I'll maintain is that $6M for Mason would be an inexcusable mistake. 

I can't see Hexy forking out 6 mill for him with guys like Ghost and Del Zotto needing new deals to.

I would maybe offer Mase another year two tops at the 4.1 he is making now.....maybe...

...but there is no need to do that now till half the season has been played so by then i could even pull that offer off the table depending on how he plays between now and then....

39 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can't see Hexy forking out 6 mill for him with guys like Ghost and Del Zotto needing new deals to.

I would maybe offer Mase another year two tops at the 4.1 he is making now.....maybe...

...but there is no need to do that now till half the season has been played so by then i could even pull that offer off the table depending on how he plays between now and then....

Yeah, I think you and me are pretty much exactly on the same page on this one. 

Gotta be rethinking your opinion on this now, right?  :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:  (I don't have access to the ninja on my phone) 

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I think you and me are pretty much exactly on the same page on this one. 

Gotta be rethinking your opinion on this now, right?  :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:  (I don't have access to the ninja on my phone) 

That is down right scary....has someone hijacked your account?

#GOBEAVERS!!!!:572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is down right scary....has someone hijacked your account?

#GOBEAVERS!!!!:572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

Do you think anyone really let HockeyJunkie go to San Francisco?

25 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well of course he was strapped who is gonna tell Dirty Harry Rick

Dirty Rick just sounds so wrong.

Yes, sign the dog.   He's an upgrade from Ryan Miller, so do it before the Canucks get to him.

Just now, ruxpin said:

Dirty Rick just sounds so wrong.

Yes, sign the dog.   He's an upgrade from Ryan Miller, so do it before the Canucks get to him.

I've been watching that clip for a while now and that dog hasn't let a single one get by him....:beer:

This is a good thread...because we know it ain't an easy puzzle to solve.  Hexy is stockpiling goalie prospects for a reason...one might actually pan out.  If Neuvy repeats last season, he becomes a very marketable commodity, and probably too expensive to keep.  He might be draft exposed.  At some point the Flyers have to begin integrating their picks in goal.  It might be sooner than later.  Mase has great 5 on 5 numbers...but shootout and playoffs....a question mark?  One way or the other, I think this is the last year for the Mase/Neuvy set-up.  

On 8/6/2016 at 10:47 AM, ruxpin said:

EDIT:  I don't continue Mason at $4.1M, either.   I know this year he had other things going on -- significant personal issues, injury, loss of an effective goaltending coach -- but the numbers crept back to his last year in Columbus.

what am i missing here?  last season he was at 2.51/.918.  his last full season in columbus was 3.39/.895.  last season wasn't as good as the prior one, granted, but it was still way beyond his columbus numbers.  am i misunderstanding what you are saying?

19 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

This is a good thread...because we know it ain't an easy puzzle to solve.  Hexy is stockpiling goalie prospects for a reason...one might actually pan out.  If Neuvy repeats last season, he becomes a very marketable commodity, and probably too expensive to keep.  He might be draft exposed.  At some point the Flyers have to begin integrating their picks in goal.  It might be sooner than later.  Mase has great 5 on 5 numbers...but shootout and playoffs....a question mark?  One way or the other, I think this is the last year for the Mase/Neuvy set-up.  

It all depends on which Mason they get...

MaseSO2.gif

....Flyers could use more of this one...

MaseSO1BIG.gif

I guess I look at this more simplistically...

What is the biggest risk surrounding our goalies?  Mason has done everything that has been asked since signing with the Flyers.  I do believe Mason is capable of winning the cup and I do believe you need a capable goalie - not elite to win a cup.  Neuvy was outstanding last year but he has never truly been a #1 and every time he appears to take the reigns he gets hurt or is traded....

Let's not forget that Mason was an absolute work hoarse down the stretch last year and is the reason they made the playoffs.   

Then again - this is Philly.  The only position where the fans are never happy - just like QB.    

How True Sir Occam!  For the record, I like the guy and he seems to be a good teammate. And when he's hot, he is darn good. But he has given up some terribly deflating goals along the way and his SO percentage is sub-par.  Me thinks he will go down as the goalie who transitioned us from Holmgren-Berube to H-Squared, with the latter wanting to put their own stamp on the team.  If I am proven wrong on the upside I won't mind!

1 hour ago, aziz said:

what am i missing here?  last season he was at 2.51/.918.  his last full season in columbus was 3.39/.895.  last season wasn't as good as the prior one, granted, but it was still way beyond his columbus numbers.  am i misunderstanding what you are saying?

Yes, but that's my fault, not yours.   Not the last full season; the one in which he was traded.  Not really a fair comparison anyway since he was very limited time that season in Columbus.

7 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I guess I look at this more simplistically...

What is the biggest risk surrounding our goalies?  Mason has done everything that has been asked since signing with the Flyers.  I do believe Mason is capable of winning the cup and I do believe you need a capable goalie - not elite to win a cup.  Neuvy was outstanding last year but he has never truly been a #1 and every time he appears to take the reigns he gets hurt or is traded....

Let's not forget that Mason was an absolute work hoarse down the stretch last year and is the reason they made the playoffs.   

Then again - this is Philly.  The only position where the fans are never happy - just like QB.    

For whatever it's worth, I like Mason.  He's been better than anything we've had since the Reagan administration (okay, maybe Bush 41).  I'm happy with what he's done.

I just no way sign him at $6M  (sorry, @canoli, I don't mean to hammer on this.  I know--or suspect--you were just throwing a number out there for discussion).  Resigning at $4.1M per for 2-3 years doesn't exactly hurt anything, unless it gets in the way of resigning Ghost or whomever.   

It's just that with the stable coming along and his being 33 years old by the end of a 3-year contract, I don't know whether that's a sound use of cap space.

52 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yes, but that's my fault, not yours.   Not the last full season; the one in which he was traded.  Not really a fair comparison anyway since he was very limited time that season in Columbus.

even there, though, he was 2.95/.899.  last season was still night and day from that.

i get what you are saying, though.  i don't think much of a raise and/or a ton of term are appropriate.  i would be good with 3 years around $4.5/5mil, but wouldn't want to go much beyond that.  he is good these days, but he isn't a world beater, and the next generation is going to have to get ready to take over before too long.

I think the biggest rap against Mase at this juncture is that he has not proven himself to be a playoff goalie.  Granted, he may not have had a great supporting cast but last year's comparison with Neuvy against Washington did not help in my book...and probably staff/management either.  

21 minutes ago, aziz said:

even there, though, he was 2.95/.899.  last season was still night and day from that.

i get what you are saying, though.  i don't think much of a raise and/or a ton of term are appropriate.  i would be good with 3 years around $4.5/5mil, but wouldn't want to go much beyond that.  he is good these days, but he isn't a world beater, and the next generation is going to have to get ready to take over before too long.

Yeah, I'm not going to hang my hat on it, because it's not a fair comparison.  Just so you know where the numbers came from, though:   The site I got it from (nhlnumbers.com -- not my usual "go to" for stats but I was already there because I was looking at contract numbers/age) combined his numbers from Columbus and Philly for that year.

So, 2012-2013:  2.59 GAA / 9.16 SV%

2015-2016     2.51 GAA / 9.18 SV%

So, I went with "similar."   Once again, though, apples/oranges comparison.  And obviously, post-trade, his numbers were fantastically better than last year and, before trade, horribly worse.

Agree a lot with the second paragraph.  I'd be really hesitant with the $5M, but market may be what market is.   I honestly don't know what we have with Stolarz, and i'm not sure how soon the rest will be ready.   But yeah, at some point, given Mason's age, etc., it may be time to slowly be transitioning to whatever the future is post-Mason (after this coming season).

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

For whatever it's worth, I like Mason.  He's been better than anything we've had since the Reagan administration (okay, maybe Bush 41).  I'm happy with what he's done.

I just no way sign him at $6M  (sorry, @canoli, I don't mean to hammer on this.  I know--or suspect--you were just throwing a number out there for discussion).  Resigning at $4.1M per for 2-3 years doesn't exactly hurt anything, unless it gets in the way of resigning Ghost or whomever.   

It's just that with the stable coming along and his being 33 years old by the end of a 3-year contract, I don't know whether that's a sound use of cap space.

6M - no way I would sign him...  

Right now it is a good problem to have.  I think Mason is more than capable as a #1.   Neuvy is a #1B at this point and maybe he claims that #1 spot.  It would be cheaper for sure but I have concerns around his ability to stay healthy.

Archived