Flyers Draft - German Rubtsov (C) - Russia U18

pilldoc

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jammer2 said:

None of the players just drafted will be Flyers for a few years. If your talking about Laughton and or Cousins, it's hard to tell. It's a make or break year for Laughton, he needs to start contributing on offense or settle into a niche at least. This is the year he needs to clearly define just what type of player he is gonna be, and at least show considerable upside while doing it.  Cousins should be one of the first call ups if he does not make the team out of camp.

Well in my honest opinion what has hurt Scotty is how he has been handled. He hasn't had time to play and actually develop.

Infact he is a perfect example of when myself and others say not to rush someone.

Nick has had time to develop and work on his game in the AHL. In fact he has 184 games under his belt. By comparison Laughton has a whooping 45 games of AHL experience.

This is where the misstep took place. Instead of him being scratched for many games he should have been sent down so he could play among prospect in his similar age/experience age range.

Hextall said he would rather overcook a prospect than undercook him........well in this particular instance it didn't hold true. Maybe Laughton has a great offseason of preparation and comes in like gangbusters and knocks steal a roster spot. I hope he does.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe Laughton has a great offseason of preparation and comes in like gangbusters and knocks steal a roster spot. I hope he does.

That would be ideal. No matter what, a young player has to play, period. I always thought being on the top AHL power play and gaining confidence with the puck in the pro game is exactly what Scott needed. If they thought he would not benefit from the AHL anymore, he should have been playing 3rd line minutes at least. I remember a few games where he was scratched, but didn't think it was a whole whack...but I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

That would be ideal. No matter what, a young player has to play, period. I always thought being on the top AHL power play and gaining confidence with the puck in the pro game is exactly what Scott needed. If they thought he would not benefit from the AHL anymore, he should have been playing 3rd line minutes at least. I remember a few games where he was scratched, but didn't think it was a whole whack...but I could be wrong.

And as FC mentioned not getting his bell rung again would help a lot. I love the kid's speed i think he will have a good year. With some skill around him he can have a good year.

When asked which team had the best draft weekend, a veteran scout didn’t even need the question to be finished before he answered.

“Philadelphia,” he said. “Hands down. He who gets the most best players wins. Philly was No. 1. Calgary and Carolina were tied for No. 2.”

The pick of German Rubtsov was a popular one among multiple executives.

“Rubtsov is a top-10 talent,” one NHL general manager said. “They got a good mix of skill and weighty players.”

Nice to hear.

On 6/29/2016 at 6:31 AM, jammer2 said:

None of the players just drafted will be Flyers for a few years. If your talking about Laughton and or Cousins, it's hard to tell. It's a make or break year for Laughton, he needs to start contributing on offense or settle into a niche at least. This is the year he needs to clearly define just what type of player he is gonna be, and at least show considerable upside while doing it.  Cousins should be one of the first call ups if he does not make the team out of camp.

Do you think the Flyers will try to build a team around the others when the players on the big team are ready to move on?

4 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Do you think the Flyers will try to build a team around the others when the players on the big team are ready to move on?

I think when ready (each will have different points when that occur) they will slowly be integrated into the lineup.....as an on going retooling....instead of a mass overhaul.

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think when ready (each will have different points when that occur) they will slowly be integrated into the lineup.....as an on going retooling....instead of a mass overhaul.

I guess that would make sense, It would be better this way! It would not be easy if it would be a complete overhaul at first!

Just now, notfondajane said:

I guess that would make sense, It would be better this way! It would not be easy if it would be a complete overhaul at first!

Well, the complete overhaul is happening now.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

.Malkin mets Datsyuk.

If we get even 75% of that I will be thrilled.  I am beginning to like this pick more and more.

New additions to the Phantoms:

Will O'Neill (D)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=12257

Greg Carey (C/LW)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=39495

Andy Miele (C/LW)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15665

I am assuming these guys will take the place of Derek Mathers and Brandon Alderson whose contracts were not renewed. I like it so far getting away from goon hockey it looks.

Nothing blockbuster just depth guy to fill out the roster.

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

If we get even 75% of that I will be thrilled.  I am beginning to like this pick more and more.

Button said Rubtsov is the type of player who "you never feel uncomfortable having him on the ice - and for a coach, that's incredibly important. When he's out there, things are under control. I watch to see if a player gets deterred, if he gets pushed out. And I've never seen German Rubtsov get pushed off the puck."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Craig-Button-gives-Flyers-draft-high-marks-especially-Rubtsov.html

I love seeing the words "never seen him get pushed off the puck".....sure is it exaggeration? Of course but to see it to describe a Flyer prospect i'll take it!!!

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So words i have seen to describe this kid....Malkin mets Datsyuk. So that to me sounds ok i think. We'll see in the future how close that comes. 

Malksyuk?  Datskin?

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So words i have seen to describe this kid....Malkin mets Datsyuk. So that to me sounds ok i think. We'll see in the future how close that comes. 

I like the pick...but Malkin meets Datsyuk doesn't fall to the 22nd pick.

28 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I like the pick...but Malkin meets Datsyuk doesn't fall to the 22nd pick.

Sure it can! Datsyuk wasn't even Datsyuk before he became Datsyuk. How did he fall to the 6th round?

I'm being mostly facetious, but really, draft position is just the beginning of a player's journey. There are stars to be found at every draft slot. 

I really think it's unfair to compare the kid to Datsuyk. It set's the bar pretty high, no?  Surely, if people were gonna compare him to somebody, it probably should not be the best stickhandler in the NHL. I can see the kid being smart and creative, but this is a stretch.

45 minutes ago, brelic said:

Sure it can! Datsyuk wasn't even Datsyuk before he became Datsyuk. How did he fall to the 6th round?

I'm being mostly facetious, but really, draft position is just the beginning of a player's journey. There are stars to be found at every draft slot. 

If Ruble was a cross between Malkin/Datsyuk he would have went to the Leafs.

Then again I'm still waiting to see any semblance of Morin to Pronger...and I like Morin.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

If Ruble was a cross between Malkin/Datsyuk he would have went to the Leafs.

Then again I'm still waiting to see any semblance of Morin to Pronger...and I like Morin.

Yes he would. If he was at that level now. I guess what I'm saying is that draft orders often look very different  once all players have had a decade to develop. The likelihood is low that he would emerge as Malkin meets Datsyuk, but there are always surprises. 

I'm certainly not expecting . But it's not impossible :)

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

but Malkin meets Datsyuk doesn't fall to the 22nd pick.

The do if they are doping. I think this will be like mono and helping Coots fall in their laps. We'll just have to be patient and wait and see....in fact it's all we can do.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

The do if they are doping. I think this will be like mono and helping Coots fall in their laps. We'll just have to be patient and wait and see....in fact it's all we can do.

I could see a "doping" Malkin/Datsyuk falling all the way to 2nd overall...not 22nd.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

Exactly.

Speaking of 6th round gems...Tom Brady wasn't Tom Brady till later as well...exactly how he fell to the 6th round too.:toast:

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly.

Speaking of 6th round gems...Tom Brady wasn't Tom Brady till later as well...exactly how he fell to the 6th round too.:toast:

Sure...but if a quarterback came into a draft as "the next Tom Brady" he's going 1st overall. 

Archived