hf101

Calder Nominees  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Calder Trophy?

• Artemi Panarin
    • Shayne Gostisbehere
    • Connor McDavid

12 minutes ago, ScottM said:

@Holtbeast I really don't have a problem with the rules as they are. I'm perfectly fine with guys like Panarin, or last season, Stone getting consideration for or winning the Calder. I'd really only recommend a change if another league did noticeably strengthen to the point that it could be considered major. In that case, you'd obviously want to keep said league's alumni away from the trophy. Right now, however, with that league not existing, I'd leave well enough alone.

I also have no problem with Panarin most likely winning it this year, but if a Russian or European player or really any player deciding to play in the KHL for 10 years and then coming to the NHL after that period and getting consideration for the Calder Cup, I say no.

McDavid was the best rookie I saw this year. Missed games or not. Ghost a close second. Panarin 3rd.

Eichel was 2nd in rookie scoring and McDavid scored 8 less points in nearly 40 less games.

Ghost was a damn gamebreaker that helped Philly out of the toilet nearly into the playoffs. The powerplay revolved around him and he was deadly.

Panarin was a force to be reckoned with as well. But I just saw more from the other to than I did with Panarin.

To me, the Calder is not like the MVP award where missed games should count against you.

21 minutes ago, Holtbeast said:

I also have no problem with Panarin most likely winning it this year, but if a Russian or European player or really any player deciding to play in the KHL for 10 years and then coming to the NHL after that period and getting consideration for the Calder Cup, I say no.

It's hard to play in another league for 10 years and then come over to compete for the Calder, because the age cutoff is 26.

Still, you could see a guy play in the KHL for 5-6-7 years and then come over and be considered.

Quite frankly, I think the minimum age needs to be lowered. I don't get why it is 26. I would think 23/24 is a better number.

1 minute ago, radoran said:

It's hard to play in another league for 10 years and then come over to compete for the Calder, because the age cutoff is 26.

Still, you could see a guy play in the KHL for 5-6-7 years and then come over and be considered.

Quite frankly, I think the minimum age needs to be lowered. I don't get why it is 26. I would think 23/24 is a better number.

I think 24 should be the cut off age.

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

They could do that if they wanted and I wouldn't gripe. It's all arbitrary anyway. Of course, Panarin and Stone would still be eligible, so for the present at least, it's a moot point. Down the road, who knows?

Connor McDavid was so impressive and missing a period of time in the season hurt his numbers a bit. Artemi Panarin was greatand was a huge support to the success to the Blackhawks this season. Panarin will win this, but McDavid should get a lot of consideration.

• 1 month later...

Archived