VLC, Luke Schenn traded to LA

AJgoal

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, murraycraven said:

I think this HAS TO TAKE THE CAKE - here is the actual summation of both VLC and Schenn from the LA Kings Broadcast.  You just can't make this **** up - LOL!!!!

Voila_Capture-2016-01-08_12-02-34_PM.jpg

OMFG......that is too hilarious!!!! ROFLMAO

I'm extremely curious to know what your reaction would be reading that as a Kings fan..... LOL

GREAT FIND!!!!! LOL

2 hours ago, murraycraven said:

I think this HAS TO TAKE THE CAKE - here is the actual summation of both VLC and Schenn from the LA Kings Broadcast.  You just can't make this **** up - LOL!!!!

Vinny has that .......

image.jpg

This is is your last round up Vinny!

Well, I guess we are giving VLC a chance to end with dignity.  

As for Luke, I think he stays in the league but at a much lower salary.  If he get 1.5 or so in future, I'd be surprised.  He is what he is...a third pairing D man and will be paid accordingly.

Howie

19 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Okay, that's hilarious

On 1/7/2016 at 1:22 PM, Hatrik98 said:

Well I guess potential is better than dead weight. I still think Philly could of done better than take 50% of Vinnys contract.

They really couldn't and they've been trying for two years.  It took Schenn to get LA to take Vinny even with a 50% off coupon.   The guy is really no longer even a hockey player (VLC), and he announced retirement as part of this deal.   No deal and he keeps the Flyers on the hook for two more years.   So, they're going to end up paying 1/6 of what they would have just to throw in Luke Schenn (who I didn't like here but believe is a great catch for LA) and the Flyers actually get a draft pick and a player out of it (I don't think much of Weal, to be honest.  I think he's more of the 4th liners we have up and down our lineup already).

Los Angeles wins this deal in the hockey sense.   I believe if you get the best player in the deal, you win it.   Schenn is the best player.  Not just by a little.   I think his career gets reinvented and he turns into a really nice asset.  No, not top tier, just a really good sound dman.   To be honest, VLC is still  the 2nd best player (now) unless Weal completely stuns me.   But from an economic perspective, the Flyers get out of Cap hell.

Both teams got what they were looking for.   Works for me.

On 1/8/2016 at 11:03 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Luke Schenn says he's 'never been traded before' a day after his second trade

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2016/1/7/10734184/luke-schenn-says-hes-never-been-traded-before-flyers-kings-leafs

Embedded image permalink

Do you suppose he meant "in" season?  Like during the season?  That's not what he said, obviously, but that's...wow, that's Ben Carson stuff right there if he said what he meant.    When did the JVR/Schenn deal happen?  Was that offseason?   I'm just thinking he's meaning he's never switched teams mid-flight before.

20 hours ago, eleven24 said:

Oh how many times in the past the trades were always reported as "This trade may help Philadelphia in the short term, but (insert team name here) benefitted tremendously in the long term".

For years the Flyers were a team where big name players used to go to get paid big money for what they had done in the past instead of what they could do in the present.  In Hexy we finally have a GM who values youth and their potential over veterans and their past, and that is the blueprint for a Stanley Cup.

Agreed.

And really good to see you!

Nice to be rid of a contract like Vinny's. 

But just to clarify:  The Flyers traded:   JVR (left wing with more goals than anyone on the current flyers team and one less point than the Flyers leader) and a horrible contract for Weal & a 3rd.

While I'm happy LSchenn & Vinny are gone and on the face of it the Flyers made out on this trade, let's not forget what happened to get to the position they were in (Homer).

As much as it was painful to watch a young JVR, he's starting to come into his own.  And.....we have no LWers....

My point being, why is Homer still with the organization?  

2 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Nice to be rid of a contract like Vinny's. 

But just to clarify:  The Flyers traded:   JVR (left wing with more goals than anyone on the current flyers team and one less point than the Flyers leader) and a horrible contract for Weal & a 3rd.

While I'm happy LSchenn & Vinny are gone and on the face of it the Flyers made out on this trade, let's not forget what happened to get to the position they were in (Homer).

As much as it was painful to watch a young JVR, he's starting to come into his own.  And.....we have no LWers....

It would befitting that next year Luke suddenly comes into his own and we will still have no LWers. Holmgenius,In Homer we trust?

14 minutes ago, Digityman said:

My point being, why is Homer still with the organization?  

No idea.  I'll never understand why he isn't sitting on the side of the road with a sign saying "will destroy your car for food."

13 minutes ago, peter puck said:

It would befitting that next year Luke suddenly comes into his own and we will still have no LWers. Holmgenius,In Homer we trust?

Well, ya know, it wouldn't be the FIRST time a Flyer players leaves Philly and thrives elsewhere.....especially Flyer players that end up in LA.

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, ya know, it wouldn't be the FIRST time a Flyer players leaves Philly and thrives gets high elsewhere.....especially Flyer players that end up in LA.

Fixed it.

I am just glad VLC gets a chance to end his career (if he really is retiring after this season) on his own terms.

I heard on an LA broadcast that the Kings set aside Vinny and told him that his role will be 3rd and/or 4th line center....but since he was rotting away in the Philly pressbox, I highly doubt VLC is going to argue which line he will be playing on.

He is playing regular minutes now, on a contender with a real chance to make a playoff run, and simply getting to play the game he loves. LA has no delusions that VLC is a 'final piece' of any sort for a Cup run. All he has to do is provide a bit of offense from his bottom six role while fitting into the Kings' system.

Just nice to see a once-great player like VLC get to play the game once again.

As for Schenn, he may very well thrive in the Kings' defense first system....even if all he ever will be is a 3rd pair guy.

Heck, he might turn out to be one of those late bloomers on a contender like LA that comes up big at some point during a playoff run......provided LA chooses to keep him on after this season.

From the Flyers perspective, just like the Coburn for Gudas deal, they come up on the 'lesser' end in the beginning, but make out well in unloading salary and undesirable players, and also, may come up large in the long run.

Gudas already, IMO, is showing signs he may do better things in Philly than Coburn had, and this Jordan Weal, just 23 yrs old, seems to have the kind of upside of a smallish, but puck moving defenseman, that may translate into him being a nice offensive piece down the road at the NHL level. He lit up the AHL pretty good on offense from the blueline. If he can make the transition in a year or two to NHL speed, the Flyers come up smelling like roses on this.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, ya know, it wouldn't be the FIRST time a Flyer players leaves Philly and thrives elsewhere.....especially Flyer players that end up in LA.

You mean like Richards, who had his best years in Philly? Or Carter, who had his best years in Philly? ;)

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

You mean like Richards, who had his best years in Philly? Or Carter, who had his best years in Philly? ;)

Do you think either of them "retire a Flyer" or would they say their best yeas were in Los Angeles where they won two Cups?

And Justin Williams says "hello" :)

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

No idea.  I'll never understand why he isn't sitting on the side of the road with a sign saying "will destroy your car for food."

And you know the worst part? Holmgren still defends these trades today.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Holmgren-Flyers-Kings-trade-good-for-both-teams.html#qOABwcqov8TZxz46.99

Holmgren said he had no second thoughts about signing Lecavalier in 2013 or acquiring Schenn in 2012. Deals that don't work out and cause cap problems, he said, "are all part of the business."

Which is true.... but when almost every deal "doesn't work out and cause cap problems," is it really just part of the business? Or are you in the wrong business?

Homer's like a clock that's five minutes fast.

Always wrong and not helpful.

When there are a handful of examples to back up your claim and you're responsible for half of them, that's not an indication it's  "part of the business" - it's an indication you're just not very good at the business.

13 hours ago, radoran said:

Do you think either of them "retire a Flyer" or would they say their best yeas were in Los Angeles where they won two Cups?

And Justin Williams says "hello" :)

Obviously winning the cup is the important thing. And I'd guess both players hold a bit of a grudge toward Flyer management for trading them. But considering both players started their careers in Philly, spent what should be their prime years in LA, yet put up better points in Philly, I'd say that's where they were better. Richards two best seasons in LA combined barely make his best in Philly. 

Ray Bourque did not have his best years in Colorado. He did win a cup there. Obviously that's going to the extreme of making the point.

Justin Williams I agree with. And there are plenty of other players from the Flyers, and every other team in the league who've moved and had better careers elsewhere. But Carter and Richards? 

Archived