VLC, Luke Schenn traded to LA

AJgoal

3 minutes ago, JagerMeister said:

I'd like to thank VLC for all the contributions he brought to Philadelphia, whether it was his exemplary attitude or his on ice production. One thing I know for certain, he will be dearly missed among Philadelphia fans.

I know this is tongue in cheek, but while his skill degraded, he never did anything more than come to practice and sit in the pressbox. He could have been in the media talking about his playing time or whatever, but he handled himself well. I have no ill will towards him, and am only glad he's gone because his contract was a hindrance. Which is not something I can say about everyone the Flyers have traded away in the past.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

I know this is tongue in cheek, but while his skill degraded, he never did anything more than come to practice and sit in the pressbox. He could have been in the media talking about his playing time or whatever, but he handled himself well. I have no ill will towards him, and am only glad he's gone because his contract was a hindrance. Which is not something I can say about everyone the Flyers have traded away in the past.

The bolded is how all Flyers fans should feel towards him...

Pierre LeBrun notes Hexy's one-time supervision of the Manchester squad. So he knows this guy. Here is a read from Hockey's Future on Weal. Projected at 7 on their scale. A Gionta-type.  There is some pedigree.  Size may be an issue.  But Weal may make a difference somewhere in the system.  

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jordan_weal/

Howie

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

A bit on Weal: 

Prairie boy, not big, put up 100 pts in Jr as a 17/18 year old. 3rd rounder in 2010 by LA

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=23324

Pretty much what I came in to say... I watched him about 40ish times in Regina, played on a line with Jordan Eberle and feasted more than a bit due to Eberle being a dominant junior player. Size will be an issue, but Flyers fans will like his speed and skill. VERY good AHL player, not a very young prospect. Probably more at home in the east than west.

4 hours ago, peter puck said:

Does this mean we will see the return of Sam Gagner?

I'd say yes. I think Hextal tried to get Vinny traded to free up the cap space.  

The little wake up call for Gagner maybe will be a blessing in disguise.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

I'd say yes. I think Hextal tried to get Vinny traded to free up the cap space.  

The little wake up call for Gagner maybe will be a blessing in disguise.

This opens up many options now on who they can call up. Not necessarily Gagner and Mcdud...and now that the handcuffs are off we'll see what they have planned

5 hours ago, radoran said:

Weal has yet to play an NHL game. I don't think he qualifies as a "vet"

I believe you'll see Sam Gagner back up before MacDud

You're right. Hadn't checked when I wrote that.  He's an AHL season or so short of that status whatever it was called.  He's got three years in the AHL. 

Still we we will see Mac And Sam depending on who gets hurt.  I said Mac because he's a D man and with Luke gone, I figured more likely... Either way the 950k stashing each isn't as vital now.  

6 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

It's really not a bad deal for LA. Schenn is a decent 3rd pairing guy, and they needed one since Greene is done. As for Vinny, I dunno why they would take him. Maybe just to help Hextall out since he said he will be retiring. Depth I guess?

I think LA made the determination that it was worth a bit of cap space used for 1/2 of VLC's contract to avoid having to make a deal at the deadline where they likely are giving up more than a 3rd round pick and Jordan Weal to acquire a D man rental of similar ability as L. Schenn from another team. 

If I read correctly, Weal isn't waiver eligible.  So he is with the big boys. That tells me Gagner is less likely to get called up, though giving him a chance to do something seems more important than bring another D-man up.  Umberger can't be sent down. A-Mac may not be worth bringing up until another D man goes...Schultz? Del Zotto in return for something? I suspect the organization would like to rehabilitate AMac but without clearing more space--can it happen?  

Another thought?  I believe we can't send any more vets down?  But would that apply to PEB or VDV with short NHL careers and possibility someone picks them up?  Candidly, I don't see any great loss losing our bottom six with the exception of Laughton.

Howie

Our bottom 6 isn't that good. We essentially have 2 4th lines.

It needs to be completely overhauled IMO

Laughton is really the only one I would say we have to keep but he needs to get PK time. White can stay around too since he seems to have the ability to move up to the top-6 and play PP if need be. Everyone else is easily replaceable 

8 hours ago, Howie58 said:

If I read correctly, Weal isn't waiver eligible.  So he is with the big boys. That tells me Gagner is less likely to get called up, though giving him a chance to do something seems more important than bring another D-man up.  Umberger can't be sent down. A-Mac may not be worth bringing up until another D man goes...Schultz? Del Zotto in return for something? I suspect the organization would like to rehabilitate AMac but without clearing more space--can it happen?  

Another thought?  I believe we can't send any more vets down?  But would that apply to PEB or VDV with short NHL careers and possibility someone picks them up?  Candidly, I don't see any great loss losing our bottom six with the exception of Laughton.

Howie

thanks for the insight. I agree with you about the bottom 6. Im interested to know the answers to your questions

Just now, AJgoal said:

Did you start a post before that quoted brelic and then not post it? The new software saves the last thing you were typing in the reply box to each thread if you navigate away.

No. I haven't posted in this thread since last night. I would exit out it would be gone i hit the quote button to try to reply and it would be there. Even if i just hit the option at the bottom to make a comment to reply to noone that quote box option would automatically be in the box. It even does it on my phone. I noticed it the other day at work and should of said something but i didn't. I t doesn't happen all the time on every thread which is just really strange.

Weal can come in now and force someone else out the lineup.

Like a Matt Read or RJ (who although not alone neither have played well in a while) and even force them out of town possibly i don't think for a minute Hexy is through molding this team it is just his initial move in the this elaborate chess match...by the time the trade deadline is done i expect this team to look different he has several options now with guys buried and 4.1 mill in house money to play with...

The Flyers definitely have some choices to make, both with tradeable assets (Streit, Medvedev, Schenn, Weal, even Del Zotto, though I think he stays going forward), and pending free agents (White, Raffl). Several of these guys could be gone at the deadline. I wouldn't be surprised if Hextall turns in a three way deal or two, either a true one, or one where a few weeks later he flips an asset acquired in a previous trade (like Weal) in a deal to acquire a Drouin (for example). I'd like to see how they utilize Weal. LA fans aren't too enamored of him, doesn't look like he's done much work on the wing, which is where he'd need to play to help the Flyers. I would guess Gagner will come back up when they return to Philly, since Hextall said he "hated" having to carry eight defensemen and thirteen forwards.

12 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

The Flyers definitely have some choices to make, both with tradeable assets (Streit, Medvedev, Schenn, Weal, even Del Zotto, though I think he stays going forward), and pending free agents (White, Raffl). Several of these guys could be gone at the deadline. I wouldn't be surprised if Hextall turns in a three way deal or two, either a true one, or one where a few weeks later he flips an asset acquired in a previous trade (like Weal) in a deal to acquire a Drouin (for example). I'd like to see how they utilize Weal. LA fans aren't too enamored of him, doesn't look like he's done much work on the wing, which is where he'd need to play to help the Flyers. I would guess Gagner will come back up when they return to Philly, since Hextall said he "hated" having to carry eight defensemen and thirteen forwards.

Yes Brayden is one of the biggest question marks once again a RFA will he sign another small deal to carry his to UFA status or will he be flipped like his brother. I think White and Raffl could go either way teams fighting for the playoffs needs these types and depending on the offer may have no choice but to move them. I guess it all will be determined to where they sit in the playoff race.

Still can't believe Vinny is gone. Hexy has to be in the running for GM of the year with the handcuffs he has worked over the last two years...Kimmo and Coburn returns added Provorov and Konecny and then the BIGGEST moving the contracts of Pronger and Vinny two perceived unmovable contracts...who else has done better?????

To Hexy...

D6WuLOKOpR2fK.gif

Hextall probably won't get a look for the Poile Award. While he has done good things to set the team up going forward, the Poile Award generally goes to a GM whose team performs well. He could get consideration in a few years, but the moves for the future aren't the ones that will get the recognition. This year, you'll likely see MacLellan, Tallon, and maybe Poile now with the Johansen acquisition top out the field.

Archived