Claude Giroux

flyercanuck

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can be the best player in the sport and you'll never win a championship without at least 2 more pieces.

Jordan needed Pipen and armstrong

Leborn needed Bosh and Wade(or love and Irving)

Batman needed robin

Michael Phelps needed Jason Leszak

A-Rod needed the entire New York Yankees

Gretzky needed McSwoorley 

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2015 at 0:46 PM, icehole said:

Giroux has his faults, but so does every player. I think he is a top 5-10 player in the league. Points is the most important stat in the league. Either you scored a goal or you made a play for one of your teammates to score a goal. Without points, you win 0 games.

Now if we were praising him for his corsi numbers, Id join in with you. Corsi is a useless stat.

Corsi is a useless stat for those who don't understand stats.  

It's literally a stat that says, "Teams that win have players who do this the most".  

That's what Corsi is.  It's an incredibly useful stat.  It's not a be all, end all, but Corsi is how a guy like Giroux gets the players around him to make a champion.  

It's not just some random thing people thought of.  It was arrived at by starting from winning and working backwards.  

On 12/10/2015 at 2:38 PM, mojo1917 said:

@icehole

I agree on all counts concerning Vandevelde.  He's okay but I would not think twice about replacing him.

I think Ryan White is the "new tough guy" in the league.  He has pretty good hands , pretty good wheels and plays heavy, he can throw the mitts if he needs to but meh, the staged fight is over. He is hard to play against and that's what I like about him. 

I don't think we're icing a team of sissy's though,  I think PEB plays a courageous game, he takes a hit to make a play, he pursues the puck, , he'll deliver a hit. Simmonds plays with sandpaper, Giroux both Schenn's Laughton, MDZ, Gudas Ghost will hit you he thinks he can get away with it...i actually think we have a decent amount of toughness on the roster, it's not the old school toughness and I wouldn't mind adding a Clutterbuck or in his prime Iginla but I don't think we're icing a team of figure skaters.

Where they need toughness the most is in front of their own net.  They get muscled around too much there.  

Maybe I don't feel the void in front of the other net because they simply don't have the guys to even try playing that game as it is now... But simmonds has and seems could if that's what they wanted from him.  Seems like they're not so much interested in that game right now.  

On 1/29/2016 at 4:14 PM, King Knut said:

Corsi is a useless stat for those who don't understand stats.  

It's literally a stat that says, "Teams that win have players who do this the most".  

That's what Corsi is.  It's an incredibly useful stat.  It's not a be all, end all, but Corsi is how a guy like Giroux gets the players around him to make a champion.  

It's not just some random thing people thought of.  It was arrived at by starting from winning and working backwards.  

I shouldn't say it's a useless stat, but when you say it's not the be all, end all, that's where I'm going with that.  It's more of a tendency stat than a direct stat.  Corsi is like having good job interview skills.  Sometimes hiring managers put too much stock into a person's interviewing abilities.  Having a good interview is great but sometimes it doesn't lead to getting the job done.  Sometimes the bad interviewee gets the job done better.  Points, to me, as a forward, means you're getting the job done.  Corsi means you're doing good things but you might not be getting the job done.

On 1/29/2016 at 4:14 PM, King Knut said:

It actually is some random thing someone thought of, and it was not arrived at by starting from winning and working backwards. It was inspired (indirectly) by a Sabres' goalie coach who wanted to show that his goalies were better than their GAA/SV% and W/L might indicate.

It's a ridiculously random (and really good) story.

When Darcy Reiger was GM of the Sabres he was talking about shot differential on a radio show. An Edmonton blogger heard him and then did the research to track shot differential for teams and players. He named it after the Sabres' goaltending coach Jim Corsi because he liked his moustache (and didn't like the sound of "Reiger" or "Ruff"). As a complete coincidence (according to Reiger, the blogger and Corsi) Corsi had been using a similar number as a way to show that his goaltenders were doing better than their GAA/SV% might indicate because of the number of shots they faced.

Ferrari had no idea back then, or even during our interview in April (until I told him), that Jim Corsi was actually the individual responsible for measuring a goalie’s workload by counting shots on goal + missed shots + blocked shots and, therefore, Ferrari’s random naming of Corsi turned out to be oh so fortuitous, that Regier wouldn’t have been talking about it if not for Corsi.

I recounted this story to former Sabre GM Regier, who is now working as an assistant GM in Phoenix, and I feared he was going to drive off the road, he was laughing so hard.

“I always kidded Jim that he was the self-proclaimed protector of all goalies,” Regier said. “He was always looking for a stat that would give his goalies their due. (Adding up shots on goal, blocked shots and missed shots) was something along those lines. Jim was always charting shots – where they came from, that stuff. In all the years I’ve known him, Jim never tried to take credit for (the Corsi metric as it more sophisticatedly applied now). He was just interested in tracking shots for his goalies…I can assure you, if I was on the radio talking about that sort of (statistical) stuff, it would have come from Jim…

Last year the number 1 Corsi % team in the league (Los Angeles) didn't even make the playoffs. Cup Finalists Chicago and Tampa were 2 and 4 Corsi %, but two other top ten teams (Carolina - 9, Dallas - 10) didn't make the playoffs either. That's 30% of the top ten Corsi % teams not even making the playoffs. Moreover, Montreal won their division as the 23rd Corsi % team and the Rangers won their division at 20th. In fact, none of the division winners were Top 10 in Corsi % (St. Louis was 11th and Anaheim 17th) - three division winners weren't even in the top half of the league. Calgary made the playoffs as the 28th Corsi % team and actually won a playoff round .

It can be a useful additional way to evaluate a team's performance but I'm not sold on it being a reliable indicator of individual players.

Like most stats it's - as you rightly point out - not the "be all and end all". It's just one more factor in a large mix.

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2015 at 7:20 AM, flyercanuck said:

Claude-Giroux.jpg

Giroux just became the first player of this decade to hit 400 points. Since 2010 he has the most single point games as well as the most multi-point games. He is suk.

If only the Flyers had a good player. 

BUMP!!!!

Archived