The Gold Polish is rubbing off on Hexy... is this another Homer?

murraycraven

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Flyers haven't drafted and developed a single quality defenceman in so long it's beyond ridiculous. In Hextalls first two drafts he's picked probably the two best defencemen in the greatest defenceman producing league ever. He also picked a heart on his sleeve player with skill who's presently tied for 1st place in the league that provides some of the best scorers in the NHL.

I'll take that over whatever trades he's tried to make to get out of the cap hell the last gm left him in...all day, every day, and twice on Sunday. I'll also give him more than a year and a half to right the Titanic that ran into the Empress of Ireland and had the Hindenberg crash into it that Homer left him.

The Flyers haven't drafted and developed a single quality defenceman in so long it's beyond ridiculous. In Hextalls first two drafts he's picked probably the two best defencemen in the greatest defenceman producing league ever. He also picked a heart on his sleeve player with skill who's presently tied for 1st place in the league that provides some of the best scorers in the NHL.

I'll take that over whatever trades he's tried to make to get out of the cap hell the last gm left him in...all day, every day, and twice on Sunday. I'll also give him more than a year and a half to right the Titanic that ran into the Empress of Ireland and had the Hindenberg crash into it that Homer left him.

I am with you FC but when is this going to start taking shape?   Is this a 5 year plan or an 8 year plan?

Homer screwed this Team - that is the number one issue.  Do you think Ed and the merry band of Fans will allow this to take that long?

Sam Hinkie.... the king of acquiring picks and never successfully putting a good team on the court.

The Sixers could very well be a powerhouse in a few years. He's already got two great pieces in Okafor and Noel. He has 3 first round picks this year, two of which could very well be top 5. Saric will be coming over next season. This is probably the last year of "The Great Tank".

The Sixers will win a title before the Flyers, you heard it here first.

Oh, and he has a coach who acquired 4 rings as an assistant in San Antonio.

Honestly, and I really hate to ask this, could this all be an issue w/ the Team and Hak? I mean I hate to think it bc we are only 13 games into his tenure but maybe they players dont respect him or his system. Something is not smelling good around this Team right now.... I am just fishing here but I think the question should be asked.

Its an honest question and it should be asked.  Let me preface this though....maybe the inmates have been running the asylum to long now and are rebelling like teenagers?

JMO I see one big mistake Hakstol. He has people on the ice that just don;t belong there. A large part of the blame belongs to the first line. How can a line of goal scorers fall so far off the grid. Newverth(sp) deserves a  better fate.

The Sixers could very well be a powerhouse in a few years. He's already got two great pieces in Okafor and Noel. He has 3 first round picks this year, two of which could very well be top 5. Saric will be coming over next season. This is probably the last year of "The Great Tank".

I was about to respond to this, but then I remembered it's about the NBA.

So I'm not.

:hocky:

I'll also give him more than a year and a half to right the Titanic that ran into the Empress of Ireland and had the Hindenberg crash into it that Homer left him.

very funny ! well played sir

I am with you FC but when is this going to start taking shape?   Is this a 5 year plan or an 8 year plan?

Homer screwed this Team - that is the number one issue.  Do you think Ed and the merry band of Fans will allow this to take that long?

IMO, I say at least 3-4 for this team to be competitive again.  It very well could be 5 or 6 before they make serious runs at the cup.  It could be sooner if there are smart choices made in FA signings and how the young kids develop.

As far as your 2nd question....at this point, we have no choice but to be patient.  Many will not like it, but we really have no choice.  The die has been cast .........

one of the reasons why nashville is so good is because their gm doesnt overpay on forwards and besides webber and rinnie being the only overpaid players, the rest of the team has nothing but experienced players on bridge deals, that's because nashville always spends on depth experienced players. hextall like homer gives unproven players big deals because they think they are only ones that can make this team great and not understanding that you need depth to win championships and being a good team not overspending on players. it never works.

teams that overspend on players become bad teams because they dont have the money to spend on depth.

You're using a team that has never made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs as a measuring stick? Nashville is nothing special. They have some good player, but the rest of their roster is just fill-ins. It's great that their GM doesn't hand out monster contracts to unproven players, but the rest of their roster is just a carousel of depths players that do nothing in the playoffs.

Nashville will always be that team that people think will go deep in the playoffs because of those few good players they have on their roster, but never will because of how much of a team sport hockey is.

Homer screwed this team over as soon as he thought this team could still win after the Pronger injury and Richards/Carter trades. Especially after those two trades, he should have begun the rebuild. Instead, he just made a plethora of awful moves that sent this team into purgatory.

The fact that some of you guys think it's Hextall's fault this team sucks, is hilarious. It's going to take him a few years to right the ship. He can't just wave a magic wand and make all those bad moves by Homer go away.

Some many of you guys called for this team to show patience with players? Well, maybe you should take you own advice and show some patience with our GM.

The fact that some of you guys think it's Hextall's fault this team sucks, is hilarious.

go back and read my posts... nobody said Hextall sucks.   The question is about the greater plan that Hextall seems to have.   The coaching decision and some of the contracts come w/ high risk / high reward.

If we can't question what has taken place then maybe we should just all meet up and since Kumbaya while holding hands...   Homer screwed this team but some of Hextall's deals are questionable and if you deny that it is nothing more than blind faith.

go back and read my posts... nobody said Hextall sucks.   The question is about the greater plan that Hextall seems to have.   The coaching decision and some of the contracts come w/ high risk / high reward.

If we can't question what has taken place then maybe we should just all meet up and since Kumbaya while holding hands...   Homer screwed this team but some of Hextall's deals are questionable and if you deny that it is nothing more than blind faith.

But all the moves he's made are still too early to judge. The Hartnell trade is really the only one I don't like. Not the fact that he traded him, but the return itself was questionable. 

But all the moves he's made are still too early to judge. The Hartnell trade is really the only one I don't like. Not the fact that he traded him, but the return itself was questionable. 

agreed... I just said the slogan this year should be "too early to tell."  

I never thought this team had an even remote chance to make the playoffs this year.  The lineup, a Coach that has never been in the NHL, lack of depth and defense would certainly take care of getting us a decent draft pick.   

Jake I believe will be fine... I still think Couts is a heck of a player...  time will tell.   I just wish this Team would actually compete like they did in the beginning of the year.   They are terrible to watch...

agreed... I just said the slogan this year should be "too early to tell."  

I never thought this team had an even remote chance to make the playoffs this year.  The lineup, a Coach that has never been in the NHL, lack of depth and defense would certainly take care of getting us a decent draft pick.   

Jake I believe will be fine... I still think Couts is a heck of a player...  time will tell.   I just wish this Team would actually compete like they did in the beginning of the year.   They are terrible to watch...

If Couturier's ceiling is a 50pt player who plays like a Selke candidate every season, then his contract is great. Remember, the guy is only 22 years old. B. Schenn is the guy we should be complaining about IMO

I look at the Hartnell deal like I look at someone paying off a loan early that has a minimal interest rate.  Sure you are saving a couple bucks over the long haul but you are sacrificing a decent amount in the short run.  Hextall probably figured Hartnell wasn't going to be in the long term plans but in that case he should have just held on to him and see if he could fetch something better at the trade deadline when teams are more desperate.  

Thus far, this season's arc is exactly as I expected. Start out surprisingly strong(not bowling the league over strong) and then take a dip. This dip is a bit deeper than I expected, but it's VERY EARLY yet for the sky is falling. Even our esteemed Bill M. is showing signs of cracking already. 

What have we been preaching here!? PATIENCE. What are we not practicing!? PATIENCE. What am I already sick of talking about!? yeah.. you got it.

The rest of the arc, as I'm predicting, is a steady...  slow signs of improvement until the end of this year. I'm talking about a graph here boys... there will be bad games and some good games, but the graph will avg out to a slow slope up once they get outta this trough. We're not even at the 2nd act yet and people are calling for Claudius to be murdered. 

All of this is to say... we were NEVER making the playoffs this year. Those who believed that we were have been trolled by Philly media and possibly a false confidence about this coach. He's a first year coach with largely the same group of schlubs from last year. We just have to ride this season out and dump what waste that we can. 

In the meanwhile, I think what we can all agree on here ... is that this team is frickin boring to watch. I'd suggest watching other hockey games this year and just see what goes on with other teams. You don't have to root for anyone else, but you can enjoy some hockey by watching other teams and just take this team and this season with a grain of salt. It is what it is. poop. 

@RJ8812

Schenn...who has more points than Umberger/Voracek/Read/Lecavalier who all make more money than him...and is 24?

I agree.  So far Schenn is one of the least of my worries among the forwards.  In fact this season he looks to finally be comfortable when playing the wing.  I'd really think about giving him a look on the top line with G.  When Bellemare gets back I'd really like to see the following lines.

Schenn G Simmonds

Read Couts Voracek

Raffl Laughton White

VV Bellemare Umberger

The team's rough start is disturbing to say the least. Hopefully it is just growing pains with the new coach and systems. Hextall isn't perfect and he has made a couple of questionable decisions, but comparisons to Homer are unwarranted in my opinion. He has made several exceptional trades, without dealing draft picks, while also trying to fix some pretty serious cap issues.

Hextall has acquired no less than 8 draft picks since becoming GM and sent out none. Homer could never have done that. Imagine where they would be right now if Homer was still at the helm? It makes me shudder. I have faith in Hextall's vision, but the current team play does make the waiting painful. If I had to rate Hextall's decisions they would total a positive outcome.   

[-1] Hartnell deal

[+1] Couturier signing

[Even] Jake signing

[-1] Shultz signing

[-1] Manning up with the team

[+1] Rinaldo trade

[+1] MDZ signing

[Even] Medvedev signing

[Even] Hakstol signing

[+1] McGinn deal

[+1] Cobourn deal    

[+2] Timonen deal

[+1] Pronger-Gagner deal

[+1] Neuvirth signing

[+1] Grossmann

[+1] Rinaldo

[+1] Moving up to snag Konecny at the draft

[+1] Not rushing Ghost

I totally get the frustration. I am also very frustrated. I still don't think Hextall is the reason the team is doing poorly. As has been pointed out, his rebuild intentions have been pretty obvious from the start. PHI is not a contender this year. They will also not be a contender next year. The plan is to position them as a solid competitor around 18-19, all while building up a decent stock of young talent in the pool.

I also don't think Haks is the reason why the team is doing poorly. For one thing, this is the NHL. He's going to need some time to adjust his own strategies and the like. That's not to say he'll end up being the next Babcock. He may very well be a flop, but he also may not. It's too soon to judge him either way.

The reason the team is doing poorly is -- wait for it -- they're a bad team. Any quick look at the roster this year makes that quite obvious. There is no reason to believe they belong anywhere near the cup. In fact, making the playoffs is in all likelihood a tall order for this group. As annoying as it is to watch a crummy team, that's what we've got. They are bad. They will be bad for some time. There's no reason to believe otherwise.

Probably not even two more to show vast improvement.

We can only hope that Hex/Hak are given at least until the end of the VLC/MacDonald cluster before trying to grade their performances. Hex is icing the best team he can with the crap sandwich he was handed. When you don't have enough capspace to call up so  much as an AHL player without putting someone on LTIR, you are going to face some serious growing pains......

@flyerrod

I 100% agree with you. They both should be given a few years to right the ship, but I fear that Mr. Snider will grow very impatient here after this year, and will make some strong demands out of his management group. 

I all for drafting and developing, but at some point you have to trade for a winger to complement their 16.5 mm dollar first line. 

Archived