Simmonds

J0e Th0rnton

My longtime board colleague...in a world of change, a constant is having fermented stuff on hand. The question might be how much will be needed to blur the cruddy performance?  I'll respect my liver more than these dudes.

Howie

My man the way it's looking you better have your own private vineyard!!!! :confused[1]:

Simmonds' slow start doesn't worry me. I wouldn't trade him. He's young enough and cap-friendly enough to fit into Hextall's long-term plan and he's the type of player the Flyers will need if they ever expect to win PO rounds against good teams. Guys who don't take sh--, who stand up for their mates and have enough 2-way skill to kill penalties and also be a legit scoring threat - even if that threat comes by way of "lucky" bounces and scrapping for rebounds. He's a 25+ goal scorer and he's a fighter. To me it makes no sense to trade him b/c we'll need someone just like him...eventually.

Obviously for some crazy, too-good-to-pass-up offer of course I'd trade anyone too. But in reality those deals won't happen - if at all - until the TD. Right now, and I'd argue even then it makes no sense to trade away a guy who gives you exactly what you need.

Simmonds' slow start doesn't worry me. I wouldn't trade him. He's young enough and cap-friendly enough to fit into Hextall's long-term plan and he's the type of player the Flyers will need if they ever expect to win PO rounds against good teams. Guys who don't take sh--, who stand up for their mates and have enough 2-way skill to kill penalties and also be a legit scoring threat - even if that threat comes by way of "lucky" bounces and scrapping for rebounds. He's a 25+ goal scorer and he's a fighter. To me it makes no sense to trade him b/c we'll need someone just like him...eventually.

Love Simmonds... love his game. He's a very valuable commodity in this league, though. For the right deal, he's expendable. I am certainly surprised by his slow start. I don't expect it will last at all and I would love to see him stay with the Flyers until/when they win a championship. I just thought he'd gel with Hakstol's supposed up-tempo style. 

I just thought he'd gel with Hakstol's supposed up-tempo style.

I think that's the key to his slow start - Hak's system isn't gelling yet. That's why Simmonds is starting slow and why there are precious few bright spots offensively so far, because the team is out-of-whack. [edit: a lot of the trouble starts on the blue line in our own zone]

I assume it's temporary and once the system is on auto-pilot the usual suspects will produce their expected points. But it may take another 30 games (or even longer), assuming it is a temporary, learning curve situation going on with the Flyers.

My gut says if the team continues to play less than the sum of its parts...any of the parts can be parted with if the price is right.  I doubt anybody here saw Richards or Carter going.......just saying.

Peace,

Howie

To Anaheim: Simmonds and Streit
To Philly: Nick Richie and a 2016 1st

HHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmm...i think i'd do this...

Well i don't think they have the cap space to do that....so i'll change it...unless they take a contract back about to expire...

Archived