Hextall Pumps Breaks on Young D Development

radoran

A smart team puts 6 actual NHL defensemen on the roster, and makes any kid beat one of them for that spot.You want to foster a sense of entitlement in a kid? Clear a roster spot and hand minutes to him before he's proven he can play them.

honestly, it sounds like they'll have to do more than outperform the vets.  I mean is that really going to be so hard?  No, these guys are going to have to perform so well that Hextall and Hakstol will look foolish for not playing a Calder Trophy contender. 

The cap situation being what it is and the dead weight being as immovable as the CBA has made it combined with what is probably a healthy but possible a little too healthy fear of moving these kids to fast will result in these guys having to all be a lot better than just "earning" a roster spot.

I promise you, based on performance alone, I'd bet three of them would earn roster spots coming out of the preseason.  It'll take more than that.

I am not sure if you are smelling what I am cooking. I am not saying rush them I am saying if they aren't ready in time, that could be a problem. Our core, while not old, is in it's prime now.

Yeah we've got the inverse of what you typically want.  30 year old D men with 26 -28 year old forwards all in their sweet spots.

Of course there's always the possbility of trading one or two defense assets for forwards down the road.  In fact, I fully expect this to happen.  Especially if they all work out the way things have been projected to for them.

I watch a lot of Phantoms games and I'm not worried about him. They give him big minutes playing in all situations and for a 19 year old playing pro hockey he's doing very well. He was probably the best two way defenseman on the Phantoms last year. He makes the occasional mistake yes, but overall I'd say he's still closer to being NHL ready than Morin, Sanheim, or Ghost.

Exactly and hell on the Flyers he would be like the 5th Dman (eventually behind Provo, Sanheim, Morin and Ghost).....that is a hell of a talent for a 5th Dman and more than likely waaaay less pressure

Exactly and hell on the Flyers he would be like the 5th Dman (eventually behind Provo, Sanheim, Morin and Ghost).....that is a hell of a talent for a 5th Dman and more than likely waaaay less pressure

You forgot Del Zotto, as long as he's not getting big head again.

You forgot Del Zotto, as long as he's not getting big head again.

Honestly i don't see him here no more than maybe this year and next...in fact i expect him to be traded out at next year's trade deadline...but i have been wrong before...but just once...  :ph34r:

Future D partners.....

CJaIOkeWcAIWY5C.jpg

...why because Provo said he is comfortable playing the rightside...so he and Morin on the #1 pair...

...Sanheim said he is comfortable playing the rightside......so he and Ghsot will be on the 2nd pair....this i believe...in the furture of course...

Hagg and Alt maybe making up the 3rd pair...

Archived