Again we do well...

@Polaris922

Kind of hard to make a fair comparison.  They are comparing NHL vs. AHL vs. College Hockey Towns.  Need to compare apples to apples and oranges to organges.  I looked at the Metrics involved and you can make statistics say anything you want.

Kudos to Pittsburgh then.  I have never been to a game there so I cannot comment. Getting in and out of Wells Fargo can be a royal PIA...so yeah I can see were that would have a (-) metric.  Once inside, the arena is clean and modern with lots of good food.

Here are the Metrics used to evaluate the process.

Methodology

To find the best and worst cities for professional- and college-hockey fans, WalletHub analyzed 74 of the most populated U.S. cities across two equally weighted key dimensions, including “Teams & Performance” and “Costs & Fan Engagement.” We then identified 18 relevant metrics, which are listed below with their corresponding weights. For our sample, we chose cities with at least one college hockey or professional hockey team.

Teams & Performance – Total Weight = 5

• Number of NHL Hockey Teams: Full Weight
  • Number of NCAA Division I Hockey Teams: Half Weight
  • Performance Level of NHL Team (Number of Wins Divided by Total Games Played): Full Weight
    Note: Past three seasons’ average was used for this calculation.
  • Performance Level of NCAA Division I Hockey Team(s) (Number of Wins Divided by Total Games Played): Half Weight
    Note: Past three seasons’ average was used for this calculation.
  • Number of NHL Championship Wins: Full Weight
  • Number of NCAA Division I Hockey Championship Wins: Half Weight
  • Number of NHL Division Championship Wins: Half Weight
  • Number of NCAA Division I Conference Regular-Season Championship Wins: Quarter Weight
  • Franchise Value (Team Estimated Value in $Million): Half Weight
    Note: For NHL teams only

Costs & Fan Engagement – Total Weight = 5

• Average Ticket Price for an NHL Game: Full Weight
  • Minimum Season Ticket Price for an NCAA Division I Hockey Game: Half Weight
  • Number of Sports Bars per100,000 Residents: Half Weight
  • Friendliness & Engagement of NHL Fans (Number of Twitter Followers Plus Number of Facebook “Likes” per Capita): Full Weight
  • Friendliness & Engagement of NCAA Division I Hockey Fans (Number of Twitter Followers Plus Number of Facebook “Likes” per Capita): Half Weight
  • Stadium Accessibility of NHL Arenas (Stadium Capacity Divided by City Population): Half Weight
  • Stadium Accessibility of College Hockey Arenas (Stadium Capacity Divided by City Population): Quarter Weight
  • Attendance (Average Home-Fan Attendance Divided by Arena Capacity): Half Weight
  • Viewership Rate: Half Weight

Going to an AHL game vs a NHL game is vastly different experience. You really cannot compare the two against each other.  Players are usually more accessible, the prices are cheaper and the overall experience is geared to the fan.  Not saying that does not happen at the NHL level, but players are not as accessible and prices are generally way more expensive.

Attendance wise, the Pens are ranked neck and neck.  Now if the Pens overall game day experience is better than the Flyers and therefore generates more Facebook likes, then so be it. 

I get what the group was trying to do, but I think their Methodoligy is flawed.

I'm not going to argue who has the better fans.  Recently both team fan bases are very knowledgeable about their teams.  Yeah the arguement can be made the team had one foot out of Pittsburgh before Crosby / Malkin arrived on the scene.  IMO fans of all NHL teams are pretty equal, although Florida had horrible attendance last year.

Yeah I think it's about hockey in general, not jut the NHL franchises. We've been pretty blessed of late with RMU's surging in NCAA play.

Besides @pilldoc ... Forbes Magazine already gave us the best NHL fans crown ;). Lol

I agree though that when Crosby goes they had better have a way to stay competitive or it will slowly slide back to bad days depths. I think that's more a reflection of a small market team than anything else. We don't have 6 million fans in our fanbase to start with.

Yeah I think it's about hockey in general, not jut the NHL franchises. We've been pretty blessed of late with RMU's surging in NCAA play.

Besides @pilldoc ... Forbes Magazine already gave us the best NHL fans crown ;). Lol

I agree though that when Crosby goes they had better have a way to stay competitive or it will slowly slide back to bad days depths. I think that's more a reflection of a small market team than anything else. We don't have 6 million fans in our fanbase to start with.

Yea....not sure Pit fans can do another 5 or 6 years of Rico Fata, Ryan Vandenbussch, Brian Holzinger, or Sebastian Caron, eh?  :ph34r:

Yea....not sure Pit fans can do another 5 or 6 years of Rico Fata, Ryan Vandenbussch, Brian Holzinger, or Sebastian Caron, eh? :ph34r:

I would like to think the salary cap era will prevent that from returning, especially with the Pens being under better management. The previous financial issues and weak teams were a result of management far more than attendance.

so you are bragging that Pitt offers hockey fans the best deals?  Has it gotten that bad in western PA?   

So for all of you diehard and rookie fans, WalletHub crunched the numbers to find which U.S. cities offer the best deals for hockey enthusiasts. 

so you are bragging that Pitt offers hockey fans the best deals? Has it gotten that bad in western PA?

So for all of you diehard and rookie fans, WalletHub crunched the numbers to find which U.S. cities offer the best deals for hockey enthusiasts.

They're playing NCAA tournament games here, youth hockey is at an all time high, and the Pens are playoff bound every year with at least hopes of a decent run.. It's a great time to be a hockey fan in Pittsburgh.

They're playing NCAA tournament games here, youth hockey is at an all time high, and the Pens are playoff bound every year with at least hopes of a decent run.. It's a great time to be a hockey fan in Pittsburgh.

I just think it is funny that is all...   like you won a major award!  Congrats ;)

The last time my Teams were in Pitt there was a lot of angst towards the Penguins b/c they were retracting their name from the youth travel team out there - The Jr Pens --- is that still the case? 

I just think it is funny that is all... like you won a major award! Congrats ;)

The last time my Teams were in Pitt there was a lot of angst towards the Penguins b/c they were retracting their name from the youth travel team out there - The Jr Pens --- is that still the case?

It's not about any award, just nice to be recognized as a city for the growing involvement in hockey.

The Pens Jr teams were shut down so that the Pens could take greater control of how the Pens name was being used. They instead created the Pens Elite teams which are all run and supported with Pens money. They also equip a lot of underprivileged kids on those teams as well, so it was a good thing in the long run.

Archived