Report: Pens will not pursue Babcock...

B21

Sigh. Oh well...

With the Detroit Red Wings granting head coach Mike Babcock the opportunity to speak with other teams regarding their head coaching positions, speculation is running wild (even on CBSSports.com) about where Babcock goes from here, if he decides to leave Detroit.

While there is going to be wide interest in the Stanley Cup-winning coach, there is one team that we can apparently cross off the list: the Pittsburgh Penguins.

General manager Jim Rutherford told Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that the team has not reached out to Babcock and doesn't plan to.

“We are committed to our present coaching staff,” Rutherford told Mackey. “We have our coaching staff in place. We will not be pursuing him.”

Head coach Mike Johnston just completed his first season behind the bench with the Penguins. The Pens squeaked into the playoffs with a 43-27-14 record and were bounced from the first round in five games by the New York Rangers.

The Penguins were decimated by injuries, as they often seem to be in a given season, but this has been a franchise that demands results. After the front office and coaching shakeup of a season ago, co-owners Ron Burkle and Mario Lemieux have shown a desire to get back to the Stanley Cup Final very soon.

Considering Babcock's pedigree, and the fact that he coached Sidney Crosby in the last two Winter Olympics, it didn't seem like a leap to suggest they'd have interest in acquiring the veteran head coach.

Though the Penguins are not pursuing Babcock, would things change if he expressed his interest in them? That could be an interesting twist, but that doesn't seem like Babcock's style either.

So speculation will continue to run rampant as the Babcock Derby heats up over the next month or so. Should Babcock decide to move on from the Red Wings, Detroit could receive a compensatory draft pick if Babcock signs with a new team before the expiration of his contract with the club at the end of June. There should be no shortage of interested parties.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So in other words...Babcocks not interested or they can't afford him.

Who the heck wouldn't be interested in him as their coach?

Just look at the threads everywhere, as each team is eliminated, they are rumored to be going after Babcock.  Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great coach and would love him in the 'burgh, but he's not the end all of coaching.   He had a great run of three years where he went to the Conference Finals and then to two Stanley Cup Finals, winning one.  But hasn't gotten to the conference finals since.  He has a great hockey mind, but its not something that is automatic that he's going to bring the cup. He's had Zetterberg and Datzuk for their primes, and has one cup, some would say that he should have had more.

Pens have their eye on Berube! They need the brightest mind in hockey to help them figure out a way to beat the Flyers. <NINJA >

I think they ruled him out last week. They were thinking of bringing back Dan Friggin Bylsma, but I think that the Flyers have first dibs on him.

Pens have their eye on Berube! They need the brightest mind in hockey to help them figure out a way to beat the Flyers. <NINJA >

Damn it you beat me too it i should have read through before posting...

...great minds think alike! ;)

Who the heck wouldn't be interested in him as their coach?

Nice try. If the Pens wanted him, they would be one of the front runners to get him.  And they could easily afford him....or are the Pens in (cough cough) "cap hell" every year because we can't make the cap floor?  :ph34r:

@B21

So why wouldn't they want him? 

Best coach in hockey?...oh we don't want HIM!

So all 30 teams are interested in him and will be reaching out?

Let's not be naive.  You want to try and spin this report and make it about Babcock not wanting to coach the Pens and the Pens getting out in front of that "possibility" to save face.  

I wish they were interested.  I know if they were, he would certainly be interested in coaching them.  I know they could afford him.  

But - the Pens committed to another year of Johnston even before the Wings were eliminated and did so again now.  Sorry - nothing to spin here.

@B21

When anyone in the conversation of "best" comes available, shouldn't teams be interested? Best centre? Best defenceman? Best gm? Best coach? 

Maybe you're right...the Pens don't want him. Carry on Rutherford.

@B21

When anyone in the conversation of "best" comes available, shouldn't teams be interested? Best centre? Best defenceman? Best gm? Best coach? 

Maybe you're right...the Pens don't want him. Carry on Rutherford.

So again - why aren't all teams not currently in the playoffs making inquiries and trying to hire a the guy? Waiting on your answer.

In the Pens case, maybe there is something to honoring a committment you made less than a year ago? 

Spinning it by saying "everyone" should be interested in the "best" when the "best" becomes available is just that...spin...and another fruitless attempt to knock the Pens.

Carry on "every GM not named Holland."

Just look at the threads everywhere, as each team is eliminated, they are rumored to be going after Babcock.  Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great coach and would love him in the 'burgh, but he's not the end all of coaching.   He had a great run of three years where he went to the Conference Finals and then to two Stanley Cup Finals, winning one.  But hasn't gotten to the conference finals since.  He has a great hockey mind, but its not something that is automatic that he's going to bring the cup. He's had Zetterberg and Datzuk for their primes, and has one cup, some would say that he should have had more.

I sort of fall into this camp... he'd be great, or whatever. The Flyers have fired plenty of "great coaches" over the years, and his window to win some stuff here would not be open very long, the fans would turn on him in year two, then if Snider is still alive he'd fire him because it's "the even year" . 

Is Babs great because of the Wings...or are the Wings great because of Babs... i think it is a little of both, he's used to having players that are groomed a certain way, he's got a guy in Grand Rapids paddling the boat in the direction he's going , they look for a certain type of player... He know's what he has to work with, the typical wing is a good skater and doesn't flip out with the puck on his stick , Babcock can work with that....there is none of that **** here, NONE.  

So again - why aren't all teams not currently in the playoffs making inquiries and trying to hire a the guy? Waiting on your answer.

In the Pens case, maybe there is something to honoring a committment you made less than a year ago? 

Spinning it by saying "everyone" should be interested in the "best" when the "best" becomes available is just that...spin...and another fruitless attempt to knock the Pens.

Carry on "every GM not named Holland."

If I had a coach like Quennville, I wouldn't bother. There aren't many like that. If I thought Babcock would be an upgrade to who I have, I'd certainly inquire about his interest, especially since he's allowed to talk to other teams.

The Pens had finished higher in the standings 8 years in a row than the new management had them this year. I'm stating my opinion...when they traded Neal for Hornquist, I said Neals numbers would go down (he had less points than he usually has goals) and that Hornquists would go up. That wasn't putting a 'spin" on things  When they traded Despres, I thought it was a bad trade, not because it was the Pens, but because I thought Despres was the better player. Again, no spin, just opinion. 

it's also possible that could be said about the Pens with their talent!

If I had a coach like Quennville, I wouldn't bother. There aren't many like that. If I thought Babcock would be an upgrade to who I have, I'd certainly inquire about his interest, especially since he's allowed to talk to other teams.

The Pens had finished higher in the standings 8 years in a row than the new management had them this year. I'm stating my opinion...when they traded Neal for Hornquist, I said Neals numbers would go down (he had less points than he usually has goals) and that Hornquists would go up. That wasn't putting a 'spin" on things  When they traded Despres, I thought it was a bad trade, not because it was the Pens, but because I thought Despres was the better player. Again, no spin, just opinion. 

Problem is - that wasn't and hasn't been what you were saying.  You went from "everyone" would and should be interested to "almost everyone" (the latter of which includes the Pens).

Who the heck wouldn't be interested in him as their coach?

This isn't a matter of opinion.  It's a matter of fact.  The facts are that 1) the Pens are not interested in Babcock 2) would be among the front runners to land him if they were and 3) could easily afford him.

Y

@B21

Please accept my humblest apologies for assuming your team or any other should be interested in who most consider to be the best hockey coach going. I hope this hasn't caused you to lose any sleep, and that you'll still keep this Flyer fan, and all others, near and dear to your heart. 

@B21

Please accept my humblest apologies for assuming your team or any other should be interested in who most consider to be the best hockey coach going. I hope this hasn't caused you to lose any sleep, and that you'll still keep this Flyer fan, and all others, near and dear to your heart. 

seems the Pens players sens of entitlement has seeped into their fan-base...

Archived