Kelly and durbano

notfondajane

Derby or Psycho had a quick end to his NHL and WHA career, Steve Shutt who was a lifelong friend speaks out from time to time about the tragedy that rode alongside Durbano both during his playing career and after. He could move the puck, pass and shoot and defend but he seemed only interested in fighting and beating the hell out of all comers.Eventually the bottle beat him after serving time in jail several times.

@yave1964  Speaking of drinking problems, very cool to see Reggie Leach has been sober for decades. He is a very nice role model for Native Americans, showing them it can be done!!  Hard to believe, makes me feel so very old...but Reggie "the rifle" just turned 65 last week!!  Happy belated BIRTHDAY Reggie....one of the all time Flyer greats!!

@jammer2

I know you are a baseball fan, I went to a Columbus Clippers game a few years ago, and a large black man was sitting next to me and I finally realized it was Al Oliver, the hard hitting outfielder who played in the 70's and 80's. We passed three hours talking baseball, he is from southern Ohio and used to kill my Reds, he said he always had 40-50 family and friends who wanted tickets to Reds games when his Bucs would come to town and he always brought his A game.

The point is, Al is a big guy, but he has gotten old. In a lot of ways, as enjoyable as it was enjoying a minor league game with a former All Star who regaled me with tales and made an afternoon at the ball park one of my favorite memories ever, it was bittersweet, for when our heroes grow old, so do we, it is so much easier to remember them how they appeared on their baseball or hockey card thirty years ago then to see them as they are now, old, gray, a beer belly sometimes and then we look in the mirror and see the same thing. Still, I get back to Huntington park a time or two a year to watch a game with the grandkids or nephews and I always look around for my pal Al, lol. No luck so far tho, he must be busy those days regaling someone else.

@jammer2

I know you are a baseball fan, I went to a Columbus Clippers game a few years ago, and a large black man was sitting next to me and I finally realized it was Al Oliver, the hard hitting outfielder who played in the 70's and 80's. We passed three hours talking baseball, he is from southern Ohio and used to kill my Reds, he said he always had 40-50 family and friends who wanted tickets to Reds games when his Bucs would come to town and he always brought his A game.

The point is, Al is a big guy, but he has gotten old. In a lot of ways, as enjoyable as it was enjoying a minor league game with a former All Star who regaled me with tales and made an afternoon at the ball park one of my favorite memories ever, it was bittersweet, for when our heroes grow old, so do we, it is so much easier to remember them how they appeared on their baseball or hockey card thirty years ago then to see them as they are now, old, gray, a beer belly sometimes and then we look in the mirror and see the same thing. Still, I get back to Huntington park a time or two a year to watch a game with the grandkids or nephews and I always look around for my pal Al, lol. No luck so far tho, he must be busy those days regaling someone else.

@jammer2

to bad bob moose threw that wild pitch in the ninth inning of the fifth game of the 1972 nlcs, pissed me off!

@jammer2

who's Columbus major league affiliate?

who's Columbus major league affiliate?

They have been the Affiliate of the Indians for several years now, I have been going to Columbus for years, I saw Jeter quite a bit before the Yankees called him up, they had a third basemen named Russ Davis who was an absolute stud for the Clippers but never did much with his career.

HA! Bob Moose and the Wild pitch, George Foster scoring, Foster was my first baseball hero, the Reds were loaded with Hofers with big time larger than life personalities, Foster was quiet and wielded a big stick. Of course in 1972 when Moose threw that wild one, the Reds ended up losing to Dick Williams and the mustache gang, grrrrr

They have been the Affiliate of the Indians for several years now, I have been going to Columbus for years, I saw Jeter quite a bit before the Yankees called him up, they had a third basemen named Russ Davis who was an absolute stud for the Clippers but never did much with his career.

HA! Bob Moose and the Wild pitch, George Foster scoring, Foster was my first baseball hero, the Reds were loaded with Hofers with big time larger than life personalities, Foster was quiet and wielded a big stick. Of course in 1972 when Moose threw that wild one, the Reds ended up losing to Dick Williams and the mustache gang, grrrrr

It's why I root for the Dodgers! Big time rivals at the time! I still believe should the Bucs win that series they would have defeated Oakland to win back to back World series titles! Oh well! Can't cry over spilled milk!

@jammer2

Very cool story bro!

Archived