Rutherford's Year End News Conference & What's Next

B21

Some takes from his news conference today....

- Malkin was playing on a sprained ankle and Horqvist with a broken rib...

- He admitted they mucked up Bennett's development..

- They want to have more players on 2-way deals to have more flexibility. Only Pouliot fell into that group this year...

- He praised the team's commitment to D citing Crosby's effort in that regard

- He was not comfortable trading Depres for Lovejoy even when they made the deal ( :blink[1]: ) and clearly regrets that move now...

- He specifically mentioned that Kunitz could still be a useful player but only mentioned Hornqvist when talking about top 6 wingers...

- He sees the Pens finding wingers most likely via trade as opposed to the (weak) free agent market...

- He has the OK from ownership to exercise buyouts if he sees fit...

- He wants more speed in the line-up and sees a lot of the coming from the younger defensemen...

- They didn't shoot enough on the PP...

- Too often they were undisciplined as evidence by leading the league in PIM...

So what's next? Just my opinion...I think Scuderi gets bought out (not Kunitz). Martin, Erhoff, Adams and Downie are definitely not resigned.  Dumoulin and Harrington make the team (Dumoulin and Cole are RFA and I expect both to be brought back for around $1,000,000 each).

That leaves the Pens with 9 forwards, 7 defenseman and goalie under contract with just under $10,000,000 in cap space (assuming a $69,000,000 cap) and less Scuderi's buyout (missing CapGeek).

As for the rest of the free agents, I'd bring back Lapierre but let the rest go. Let's say $1.5 for Lapierre which leaves about $8,000,000 for a top 6 winger and some depth down on the 4th line.

Right now, I think the lines shake out like this...

Hornqvist / Crosby / Kapanen  :D

Perron / Malkin / ???

Kunitz / Sutter / Dupuis

Lapierre / ??? / Spaling

Letang / Maatta

Pouliot / Cole

Dumoulin / Harrington

(Lovejoy)

Fleury

Big questions...

Does Dupuis come back? He says he is.

What to do with Beau?

Can this team contend with what amounts to 3 rookie defensemen?

Have at it.

Some takes from his news conference today....

- Malkin was playing on a sprained ankle and Horqvist with a broken rib...

- He admitted they mucked up Bennett's development..

- They want to have more players on 2-way deals to have more flexibility. Only Pouliot fell into that group this year...

- He praised the team's commitment to D citing Crosby's effort in that regard

- He was not comfortable trading Depres for Lovejoy even when they made the deal ( :blink[1]: ) and clearly regrets that move now...

- He specifically mentioned that Kunitz could still be a useful player but only mentioned Hornqvist when talking about top 6 wingers...

- He sees the Pens finding wingers most likely via trade as opposed to the (weak) free agent market...

- He has the OK from ownership to exercise buyouts if he sees fit...

- He wants more speed in the line-up and sees a lot of the coming from the younger defensemen...

- They didn't shoot enough on the PP...

- Too often they were undisciplined as evidence by leading the league in PIM...

So what's next? Just my opinion...I think Scuderi gets bought out (not Kunitz). Martin, Erhoff, Adams and Downie are definitely not resigned.  Dumoulin and Harrington make the team (Dumoulin and Cole are RFA and I expect both to be brought back for around $1,000,000 each).

That leaves the Pens with 9 forwards, 7 defenseman and goalie under contract with just under $10,000,000 in cap space (assuming a $69,000,000 cap) and less Scuderi's buyout (missing CapGeek).

As for the rest of the free agents, I'd bring back Lapierre but let the rest go. Let's say $1.5 for Lapierre which leaves about $8,000,000 for a top 6 winger and some depth down on the 4th line.

Right now, I think the lines shake out like this...

Hornqvist / Crosby / Kapanen  :D

Perron / Malkin / ???

Kunitz / Sutter / Dupuis

Lapierre / ??? / Spaling

Letang / Maatta

Pouliot / Cole

Dumoulin / Harrington

(Lovejoy)

Fleury

Big questions...

Does Dupuis come back? He says he is.

What to do with Beau?

Can this team contend with what amounts to 3 rookie defensemen?

Have at it.

I wonder if the Pens would get something of value in return for scuderi instead of just letting him go!

The Pens should be able to move Scuderi. I'd be calling the Coyotes.

Maybe.  Not sure if he has a NTC.  Trade. Buyout.  Whatever.  I just don't think he's on the team next year.

Maybe.  Not sure if he has a NTC.  Trade. Buyout.  Whatever.  I just don't think he's on the team next year.

I agree about not being on the team.  At 36 with a $3.4M cap hit, it might be a hard sell, but you might get lucky.   Even if you get nothing but a 6th or 7th rounder for him or "future consideration," you probably consider that a win, Right?

I don't know about the NTC either, so that would be a problem (especially if we're talking about Arizona!). At only $3.4M for only 2 more years, a buyout may actually be a possibility.

Ya, he was terrible.

You know who'd look great on the Pens? Andrew MacDonald. Trade you even for Scuderi. No takebacks!

I agree about not being on the team.  At 36 with a $3.4M cap hit, it might be a hard sell, but you might get lucky.   Even if you get nothing but a 6th or 7th rounder for him or "future consideration," you probably consider that a win, Right?

I don't know about the NTC either, so that would be a problem (especially if we're talking about Arizona!). At only $3.4M for only 2 more years, a buyout may actually be a possibility.

Anything that's not a buyout is a win (aside from trading for another bad contract). The "good" news is like you said - not a lot of years left which means the buyout is not a killer. Kunitz and Dupuis each have 3 years left as opposed to 2 for Scuderi....another reason why I think neither is bought out.

Ya, he was terrible.

You know who'd look great on the Pens? Andrew MacDonald. Trade you even for Scuderi. No takebacks!

I'd rather have VLC. Solves our 4th line center healthy scratch problem for the next 4 years.  ;)

Anything that's not a buyout is a win (aside from trading for another bad contract). The "good" news is like you said - not a lot of years left which means the buyout is not a killer. Kunitz and Dupuis each have 3 years left as opposed to 2 for Scuderi....another reason why I think neither is bought out.
heck, trade Fleury might get something for him, maybe, like someone who can stop the puck from 10 feet so we could get past the first round!

lol.lol. Need I say more. I'm embarrassed for the guy!

Other years absolutely, but do you think he was actually the problem this year?   I'm asking because THIS year, I thought he played (surprisingly and unexpectedly) well.

Other years absolutely, but do you think he was actually the problem this year?   I'm asking because THIS year, I thought he played (surprisingly and unexpectedly) well.
for the most part yes he did! What irks me when you need him to make a save when the game is on line,orto keep the game within reach he is nowhere to be found. (both Hawks games) Hagelin goal in game 5.

NTC could be waived by the player if it meant playing somewhere for sure!

NTC could be waived by the player if it meant playing somewhere for sure!

Yep. I'm just wondering whether Arizona qualifies as playing somewhere. Maybe buffalo or Edmonton would take a guy with two years as a bridge until the kids are ready.

Too bad Holmgren isn't still a GM or I'd know just the idiot to take him off your hands. You'd get a first or second round pick (or both) out of it, too.

Yep. I'm just wondering whether Arizona qualifies as playing somewhere. Maybe buffalo or Edmonton would take a guy with two years as a bridge until the kids are ready.

Too bad Holmgren isn't still a GM or I'd know just the idiot to take him off your hands. You'd get a first or second round pick (or both) out of it, too.

can't see why not?both the Edmonton and Arizona could use a veteran! Buffalo can use every thing!

If I'm reading Sport Trac right, Kunitz has a modified NTC.  Scuderi has nothing.  So there's that. I would think that if Rutherford is considering a buyout for any player, he'd do his due diligence and see if he could rid himself of the entire contract(s) via trade. I would think...  :blink[1]:

Archived