Pens Ownership Speak

Defender

So, the Penguins owner speaks..

“I know there's been a lot of speculation out there, but (co-owners) Ron (Burkle) and Mario (Lemieux) never once considered a change,” Morehouse said. “Jim Rutherford's our general manager, and Mike Johnston's our coach.”

Morehouse also quashed trade talk surrounding franchise centers Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

“We're not looking at major changes,” Morehouse said. “Jim and ownership believe the core players we have are the core players to build around. That's what we're going to try to do.”

And then they made the exact opposite excuse for Johnston as they did for Bylsma...

“We had a new coach who almost never had a chance to coach his full team because of injuries. I don't know if there's a team in the league that could have succeeded in the playoffs without three of its top four defensemen. That's the situation we faced.”

Bylmsa and Shero would have and always did find a way to work around lots of injuries. The league is riddled with injuries every year and I don't hear any other teams complaining about it. They just go out and get the job done, recruiting and calling up players from the minors. But instead, they both get to keep their jobs even though they did worse than Shero and Bylsma ever did!

INCREDIBLE!!!

So, the Penguins owner speaks..

“I know there's been a lot of speculation out there, but (co-owners) Ron (Burkle) and Mario (Lemieux) never once considered a change,” Morehouse said. “Jim Rutherford's our general manager, and Mike Johnston's our coach.”

Morehouse also quashed trade talk surrounding franchise centers Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

“We're not looking at major changes,” Morehouse said. “Jim and ownership believe the core players we have are the core players to build around. That's what we're going to try to do.”

And then they made the exact opposite excuse for Johnston as they did for Bylsma...

“We had a new coach who almost never had a chance to coach his full team because of injuries. I don't know if there's a team in the league that could have succeeded in the playoffs without three of its top four defensemen. That's the situation we faced.”

Bylmsa and Shero would have and always did find a way to work around lots of injuries. The league is riddled with injuries every year and I don't hear any other teams complaining about it. They just go out and get the job done, recruiting and calling up players from the minors. But instead, they both get to keep their jobs even though they did worse than Shero and Bylsma ever did!

INCREDIBLE!!!

next year is going to be worse than this one that just finished!

The league is riddled with injuries every year and I don't hear any other teams complaining about it. They just go out and get the job done, recruiting and calling up players from the minors.

Like...say...Colorado? They went from 112 points last year (2nd in the West). They led the league in man games lost this year.

Columbus? They went from an 8th seed to pre-season up and comer to missing the playoffs. They were 2nd.

Buffalo? OK - nevermind. They were 3rd but were likely injuring their own guys on purpose. 

Anaheim? You got one there. Took a lickin' and kept on tickin'.  More important - they were healthy in time for the playoffs.

Then the Pens. 

Here's a nice link.  Not only were the Pens 5th in man games lost - they lost some pretty important players.

http://www.mangameslost.com/end-of-regular-season-nhl-man-games-lost-and-tmitt-metrics-april-16-2015/

Like...say...Colorado? They went from 112 points last year (2nd in the West). They led the league in man games lost this year.

Columbus? They went from an 8th seed to pre-season up and comer to missing the playoffs. They were 2nd.

Buffalo? OK - nevermind. They were 3rd but were likely injuring their own guys on purpose.

Anaheim? You got one there. Took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. More important - they were healthy in time for the playoffs.

Then the Pens.

Here's a nice link. Not only were the Pens 5th in man games lost - they lost some pretty important players.

http://www.mangameslost.com/end-of-regular-season-nhl-man-games-lost-and-tmitt-metrics-april-16-2015/

Yeah. It's really not just whining or a crutch. The injury thing is real.

It is interesting that didn't get Shero/Bylsma a pass though.

As a Pens fan, do you wonder about the players on your team being injury prone, though? It probably seems like a silly question, but it's several years running now, isn't it?

Anaheim? You got one there. Took a lickin' and kept on tickin'.  More important - they were healthy in time for the playoffs.

Then the Pens. 

Here's a nice link.  Not only were the Pens 5th in man games lost - they lost some pretty important players.

please tell me why the Pens are in the top 5 every year (seems like)? (Don't want to be harsh or p.o.ed,) is there something wrong with how they are doing things?or the players over extending themselves? ( the way I type I come across harshly)I just want to why it's happening? It needs to be addressed somehow? Could it be conditional training in part?

Yeah. It's really not just whining or a crutch. The injury thing is real.

It is interesting that didn't get Shero/Bylsma a pass though.

As a Pens fan, do you wonder about the players on your team being injury prone, though? It probably seems like a silly question, but it's several years running now, isn't it?

It is.  That link I posted had the Pens losing the most man games to injuries since 2009 - not coincidentily their last Cup year.  

I was one who wanted to keep Shero.  Bylsma? I think his time had come.  

As for the injuries - other than Brittle Beau I don't see anyone being "injury prone". I've never bought into that whole premise. 

It is.  That link I posted had the Pens losing the most man games to injuries since 2009 - not coincidentily their last Cup year.  

I was one who wanted to keep Shero.  Bylsma? I think his time had come.  

As for the injuries - other than Brittle Beau I don't see anyone being "injury prone". I've never bought into that whole premise.

l was split I wanted to keep Shero and let disco Dan go! Still think the training and conditioning as something to do with it! Was there a change in the time of the last cup finals?

Then the Pens. 

Found an interesting site, mangameslost.com, that has a different way of quantifying man games lost.  They don't just look at the raw games, but they look at average ice time for the injured, so that an injury to a 1st liner would be more severe than an injury to a 4th liner, even if it was for the same number of games.  The graphic is below.

NHL-Man-Games-Lost-Quality-from-2009-to-

The thing I wanted to note is not that the Pens are on the top(we knew that).  But that the teams that are in Green, and at or near the bottom, represent the last 6 Stanley Cup winners.    So I know alot of people blurt out the age old "Injuries are just an excuse" line,  but this seems to be quantitative proof that having less injuries is key to being able to win the Stanley Cup.

Found an interesting site, mangameslost.com, that has a different way of quantifying man games lost.  They don't just look at the raw games, but they look at average ice time for the injured, so that an injury to a 1st liner would be more sever than an injury to a 4th liner, even if it was for the same number of games.  The graphic is below.

NHL-Man-Games-Lost-Quality-from-2009-to-

The thing I wanted to note is not that the Pens are on the top(we knew that).  But that the teams that are in Green, and at or near the bottom, represent the last 6 Stanley Cup winners.    So I know alot of people blurt out the age old "Injuries are just an excuse" line,  but this seems to be quantitative proof that having less injuries is key to being able to win the Stanley Cup.

Same link.  :)

It's a good sight.  No matter how you slice it, injuries have killed the Pens.

Appreciate the insight boys. I think we all knew they had lost key players for extended periods of time, but quantifying it like that sure helps put it all in perspective. I've quoted the Letang win/loss stat a few times but look at that chart... That's a lot of key minutes gone from your roster.

Archived