The Penguins need to trade Malkin

hf101

I'm thinking we find out that Malkin was injured.  I know everyone is in the playoffs, but I'm thinking it's something that truly hampered him.

So, I realize that Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury represent a huge chunk of salary cap space.  But they really do need to do a better job of building around them.   Trading for Lovejoy certainly ain't it.

I've always liked Kunitz.  He's one of those players you hate to play against but would love on your team.  He's not THE player and never has been.  But he was the type of player you add and he brings more than just stats.  Sadly, I think his usefulness has passed.  I don't know how, but they have to get out from under that.

They need to do a better job of finding quality but cheap pieces around the core. And I do not think Rutherford is the guy to do it.  I will never in a million years understand how Penguins ownership could look at the abortion Rutherford committed in Carolina since 2007 and think he was their guy.  If the pickings were slim last year, then fine.  Stick with Shero another year.   But Shero 10x > Rutherford without even waking up.

Maybe take a serious look at the pro scouting department.  It seems to me they're doing okay with the amateur scouting, but they may need to rethink their pro scouting.

Seriously, Crosby is 27, Malkin 28, Letang is 28 and Fleury is only 30.  They legitimately still have a 4-5 year window with these guys, but they'll blow it if they continue to surround them with what they are and if they continue to have utterly ridiculous people running the show.

Trading Malkin, IMO, is a panic move. 

Well said, Rux.  I get a chuckle when I read "our window is closing".

Oh yeah the ever popular trade generational talent for "prospects" myth will make make the defense not suck and score in the playoffs,  because this frigging team has gone a great job the past 10 years developing them, and they NEVER bust.

And who would you be trading for?

I am not suggesting for a second you trade him for a bunch of prospects, if this is what you thought I was implying.  My point was in a typical trade scenario of this kind, those prospects wouldn't be a cornerstone of the trade.  You would be getting a legit good player, albeit not as talented or pricey as Malkin.  And mainly for the reason of making salaries work, there will be other players who will come in that deal as part of that trade.  My whole point was that it wouldn't be just a player for player trade and if so, that would be an added value of pulling off that trade.  It may be unpopular on the surface at the time it is done, but in the long run it might have a chance to actually make a team who does trade a generational talent better.

As for the second part of the question (who woudl you be trading for), that's a very good question.  I am sure it is not hard to identify a decent 2nd line center who may not be *as* good as Malkin but is still pretty good and doesn't have near Malkin's price tag.  That woudln't be too difficult.  The harder part is finding a trading partner willing to do it.

It's certainly a fair question to ask - are the Pens better off trading Malkin? But if his performance in this post season is the main reason why then the argument is flawed.  Really flawed.

Even taking into account Malkin's 0-fer this series there is still only 1 other active player with a better career PPG in the playoffs...and that's Crosby.  Both well over a PPG. Crosby is 8th. Malkin is 13th. Giroux is the only other active player even in the top 30.  Every other year in his career, he's been better than a PPG in the playoffs. There's that Conn Smythe thingy, too.  ;)  It's the worst kept secret out there is that he was playing hurt - real hurt. Not just "every one has dings and dents hurt". On top of that - the Pens top 4 defensemen - the same type of defensemen Johnston's entire system and philosophy are built around - missed the entire series.  

Not excuses - just reasons.  At the end of the say, the outcome of this series wasn't a surprise to anyone.  The core is fine - it's the rest of the roster that needs fixed.  The more important question is who are the guys to do that.

I hear you.  And it's not an easy answer.  And you guys certainly know your players better than fans of other teams do.

But from the outsider's angle, Malkin's performance in the 2009 playoffs when you won the Cup was out of this world.  It was just absolutely sick.  Didn't he win Conn Smythe Trophy that year?  But that was 6 years ago and, again, from my perspective, he didn't come close to repeating that performance.  And I don't mean just in terms of points scored.  His overall performance was so-so... certainly not terrible, but not what most of the hockey world expect of him and certainly not something you expect out of $9.5 mil man.

I mean I am not screaming TRADE HIM NOW.  And I don't even know if your brass even raises this question, in which case it is just us throwing some stupid ideas around.  But again, given his salary, so-so playoff perfoance over the last 6 years, and the fact he is still only 28 years old (more or less in his prime), I would at least give it some thoughts.

malkin.si.jpg

Trading Malkin for a faster younger center would free the team of that outrageous $9.50M contract to balance out the team, giving them more options under the cap.

Is there a team out there that might take on Malkin's contract at $9.5M until 2022 and should the Penguins try to make that trade?

Not Toronto. For fak sakes don't let the Leafs get their hands on him. Enough with the foreigners in Leaf-land and enough with aging veterans. I want more Canadian born players on the Leafs, and they need to be here in their prime. And now, back to the Pens...

The Penguins have two #1 centers. They should trade Malkin for a high-end winger to pair with Crosby or for a top defenceman.  :)

EDIT: Dang it. I can see it now: The Leafs are going to trade Kessel for Malkin.  (facepalm)  Then we'll have Sundin syndrome all over again. (#1 center with no wingers. yay.)

EDIT x 2: This really could happen! Sundin was traded to the Leafs because he was the #2 center behind Sakic on the Nordiques. Malkin is the #2 guy in Pittsburgh stuck behind Crosby. In Toronto he would be #1, but he wouldn't have any talent around him. It would be exactly like the Mats Sundin era in Toronto.

I am not suggesting for a second you trade him for a bunch of prospects, if this is what you thought I was implying.  My point was in a typical trade scenario of this kind, those prospects wouldn't be a cornerstone of the trade.  You would be getting a legit good player, albeit not as talented or pricey as Malkin.  And mainly for the reason of making salaries work, there will be other players who will come in that deal as part of that trade.  My whole point was that it wouldn't be just a player for player trade and if so, that would be an added value of pulling off that trade.  It may be unpopular on the surface at the time it is done, but in the long run it might have a chance to actually make a team who does trade a generational talent better.

We're on the same page then. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Staal deal. Replacement, another "lesser" player and a picks (plus whoever else you can add with the cap space saved). That said, I'd have to be wowed to trade him.

As for the second part of the question (who woudl you be trading for), that's a very good question.  I am sure it is not hard to identify a decent 2nd line center who may not be *as* good as Malkin but is still pretty good and doesn't have near Malkin's price tag.  That woudln't be too difficult.  The harder part is finding a trading partner willing to do it.

I'd want it to be a team in the West.  Looking quickly - Colorado makes some sense.  Maybe getting a Malkin would help with their attendance?  I'd want Landeskog and Duchene back.  

The bigger concern I have is the injury bug. It seems every season key pieces are hurt come playoffs. How do we address that?

We could always trade you McCrossin....that would fix things. :ph34r:

Both Schenns and a third rounder seems fair. We'll even throw in Rinaldo if you insist.

Do you guys still have the rights to Billy Tibbets? We'd have to insist on that.

Archived