The Penguins need to trade Malkin

hf101

malkin.si.jpg

Trading Malkin for a faster younger center would free the team of that outrageous $9.50M contract to balance out the team, giving them more options under the cap.

Is there a team out there that might take on Malkin's contract at $9.5M until 2022 and should the Penguins try to make that trade?

I've mentioned this a few times to a former Penguins poster, and he's adamant that they don't do it...  But I think they HAVE to do it.

In a Cap-free league, it would be fine, but to have that much money tied up with 2 players who play the same position, it's crazy.  We'll see how it works for Chi-town, but atleast Kane/Toews are different positions.

Pens need help in too many other places for them not to do something.  Letang/Crosby aren't going anywhere, so it's pretty clear who the odd one out is to me.

Not happening. They'll free up some cap space with departing d-men. The Scuderi and Kunitz contracts will hurt. But the core four will go nowhere, and I'm okay with that.

But the problem is the core four aren't getting the job done and they're taking up too much of the cap. Would you trade Malkin to Nashville if the Pens got Shea Weber back in return?

But the problem is the core four aren't getting the job done and they're taking up too much of the cap. Would you trade Malkin to Nashville if the Pens got Shea Weber back in return?

Wow... That's a difficult trade offer to weigh. Weber and Letang on the ice together?? Brutal. I don't know... That would take some thinking. Weber's cap hit, the void on offense, who's going to take pressure off Sid.... I dunno.

We can't say they've failed. One Cup win, one Cup loss, two Finals, steady playoff appearances in eight years. A fail? Would we like to see more? Yes. Do I rate it a failure? No. They have a few more years to go, and Fleury has just hit his prime it looks.

The bigger concern I have is the injury bug. It seems every season key pieces are hurt come playoffs. How do we address that?

malkin.si.jpg

Trading Malkin for a faster younger center would free the team of that outrageous $9.50M contract to balance out the team, giving them more options under the cap.

Is there a team out there that might take on Malkin's contract at $9.5M until 2022 and should the Penguins try to make that trade?

Trading a 2nd line center opens a need for a 2nd line center, Brilliant strategy.

Not happening. They'll free up some cap space with departing d-men. The Scuderi and Kunitz contracts will hurt. But the core four will go nowhere, and I'm okay with that.

This.  When your top 7 defensemen (Letang, Scuderi, Pouliot, Maatta, Lovejoy, Cole and either Doumolin or Harrington) are making a combined $15,0000,000 you can afford two centers like Crosby and Malkin.

Actually the topic of this thread should be "Pens need to fire Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum" meaning, it's already time for Rutherford and Johnston to go. Rutherford traded away one of the best scoring forwards in the game and got a bunch of mediocre players instead. He should be fired immediately. And well, since Johnston apparently has worse coaching skills than Bylsma, he has got to go, and yesterday! It cracked me up when Pierre McGuire made one of his usual stupid comments tonight and said soemthing to the effect of "Johnston's making some great decisions tonight". No he wasn't!! His freakin' players decided to start playing for themselves and almost came back to win! The faster they get rid of these 2, the faster the Pens can start to get better.

You just know somewhere out there tonight when the buzzer sounded, Shero and Bylsma were both smiling because they know they could have done better, and most certainly without any doubt in MY mind, they would have!

Peace, Defender

Trading a 2nd line center opens a need for a 2nd line center, Brilliant strategy.

I think you may be missing a little what the point here is.

Of course once you lose Malkin (through a trade, buy-out, shipping him to Moscow to play with Putin... whatever), there immediately comes the need to fill the void.  That's not nuclear physics.  But what people are saying is that given Malkin's outrageous bite out of your salary cap, combined with a consistent below-average playoff performance (at least I rate it as such), the team would be better off by replacing him with a cheaper option.  And that new second line center which would come as a replacement may actually get you the same - if not better - results on the ice. 

And if.... *IF* this is done via a trade, you will get more players in the trade, some of which will likely be more than just throw-ins in that trade, but actually some decent players and/or prospects.  So that's an added benefit.

No doubt that Malkin is talented.  But he needs to be on top of his game for your team to get the needed return.  And the truth is, he hasn't been on top of his game in most of the playoff apperances.

Now... the problem is find a way to lose his salary will be difficult.  But not impossible.

I'm thinking we find out that Malkin was injured.  I know everyone is in the playoffs, but I'm thinking it's something that truly hampered him.

So, I realize that Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury represent a huge chunk of salary cap space.  But they really do need to do a better job of building around them.   Trading for Lovejoy certainly ain't it.

I've always liked Kunitz.  He's one of those players you hate to play against but would love on your team.  He's not THE player and never has been.  But he was the type of player you add and he brings more than just stats.  Sadly, I think his usefulness has passed.  I don't know how, but they have to get out from under that.

They need to do a better job of finding quality but cheap pieces around the core. And I do not think Rutherford is the guy to do it.  I will never in a million years understand how Penguins ownership could look at the abortion Rutherford committed in Carolina since 2007 and think he was their guy.  If the pickings were slim last year, then fine.  Stick with Shero another year.   But Shero 10x > Rutherford without even waking up.

Maybe take a serious look at the pro scouting department.  It seems to me they're doing okay with the amateur scouting, but they may need to rethink their pro scouting.

Seriously, Crosby is 27, Malkin 28, Letang is 28 and Fleury is only 30.  They legitimately still have a 4-5 year window with these guys, but they'll blow it if they continue to surround them with what they are and if they continue to have utterly ridiculous people running the show.

Trading Malkin, IMO, is a panic move. 

Interesting thought... Botterill was against many of the signings that have become an issue... Scuderi, Kunitz, Spaling... And he was right. Can Rutherford and let Botterill step up. He's who we wanted anyway, why not now?

Of course once you lose Malkin (through a trade, buy-out, shipping him to Moscow to play with Putin... whatever), there immediately comes the need to fill the void.  That's not nuclear physics.  But what people are saying is that given Malkin's outrageous bite out of your salary cap, combined with a consistent below-average playoff performance (at least I rate it as such), the team would be better off by replacing him with a cheaper option.  And that new second line center which would come as a replacement may actually get you the same - if not better - results on the ice. 

And if.... *IF* this is done via a trade, you will get more players in the trade, some of which will likely be more than just throw-ins in that trade, but actually some decent players and/or prospects.  So that's an added benefit.

No doubt that Malkin is talented.  But he needs to be on top of his game for your team to get the needed return.  And the truth is, he hasn't been on top of his game in most of the playoff apperances.

Now... the problem is find a way to lose his salary will be difficult.  But not impossible.

Oh yeah the ever popular trade generational talent for "prospects" myth will make make the defense not suck and score in the playoffs,  because this frigging team has gone a great job the past 10 years developing them, and they NEVER bust.

And who would you be trading for?

It's certainly a fair question to ask - are the Pens better off trading Malkin? But if his performance in this post season is the main reason why then the argument is flawed.  Really flawed.

Even taking into account Malkin's 0-fer this series there is still only 1 other active player with a better career PPG in the playoffs...and that's Crosby.  Both well over a PPG. Crosby is 8th. Malkin is 13th. Giroux is the only other active player even in the top 30.  Every other year in his career, he's been better than a PPG in the playoffs. There's that Conn Smythe thingy, too.  ;)  It's the worst kept secret out there is that he was playing hurt - real hurt. Not just "every one has dings and dents hurt". On top of that - the Pens top 4 defensemen - the same type of defensemen Johnston's entire system and philosophy are built around - missed the entire series.  

Not excuses - just reasons.  At the end of the say, the outcome of this series wasn't a surprise to anyone.  The core is fine - it's the rest of the roster that needs fixed.  The more important question is who are the guys to do that.

Archived