Trade Revisted: Bob vs Mason

pilldoc

Who won the trade between Bob and Mason?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who won the trade between Bob and Mason?

• Blue Jackets with Bob..after all he DID win the Vienza Trophy a year later
    • Flyers with Mason
    • Niether team..still too soon to tell
    • win / win for both teams

Came across a very interesting article:

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-flyers-won-the-masonbobrovsky-trades/

So how do you feel about the trade 2 yrs later.  Personally I think Mason has been a god send to this team.  The failures of this team this year certainly CANNOT be place on the shoulders of Mason.  With a better defense in front of him, this team easily can add at least another half-dozen wins in the win column.

This is not a knock against Bob, whom I thought was gonna be a start, but having Bryz here and Bob together simply was not going to work.

The author makes some good arguments to why the Flyers won this trade.

your thoughts...............

Flyers fans are happy with the return they got.

Blue Jackets fans are happy with the return they got.

Win/win.

That said, there are a few things important to "win": games, playoff rounds, Cups.

Both teams have the same amount of playoff rounds since the trade.

Winning trades and end of season awards make for great message board discussion, though...

sorry ..i missed that...did not mean to repost then.......

Well, I didn't see whatever other thread on this was, so I will comment on your thread, @pilldoc   :)

I will go with win/win with regards to what each team got and how each goalie has helped stabilize a position of angst for a long time for each franchise.

That said, like @radoran said, the ultimate goal is winning...whether divisions, conference titles, and obviously, Stanley Cups.

Neither guy has been able to do that just yet for their teams, so while the actual goalie for goalie trade can be counted as a win-win, in the grand scheme, one can viable say, "Jury still out" till one or the other becomes a key factor in their team winning anything.

One thing I find interesting about these two goalies traded for each other:

They both show what they can do, how they can literally steal games for their team......IF they are healthy and on the ice.

Both guys have had some issues with being able to stay on the ice.

That trend continues, we may never see where either proves their team 'won' the trade because they are chronically on IR.

Now, looking over at team dynamics, I think its safe to say that Sergei Bobrovksy will have a better chance in the near future (again, assuming both stay healthy) to prove the Jackets got the better end of the deal because I believe Columbus to be closer to playoff contention than the Flyers are at this stage.

In fact, I think many would agree that had it not been for the freakishly grotesque amount of man games lost to injury in Columbus, that the Blue Jackets could have very well been the ones in the playoffs instead of a team like Ottawa or Pittsburgh.

If the team stays healthy and continues to play their heavy style, I can see them doing just that next season.....with Bob leading the way there.

Philly? Well, they have some roster issues that will need more than just one off season or two to really sort out.

I still wouldn't say the Jackets 'won' this trade even if Columbus does much better than Philly next season, but I WOULD say, Bob would have the opportunity before Mason to show that Columbus POSSIBLY did.

Still a win-win, IMO, because Philly, as everyone knows is a much better team with Mason healthy and playing goal regularly and he gives the Flyers a chance to win, despite their defense, just about every game. 

My buck fifty.  :D

One thing I find interesting about these two goalies traded for each other:

They weren't technically traded "for each other"

Flyers got a 2nd and two 4ths for Bob on June 22, 2012

They got Mason for a 3rd and the Ghost of Michael Leighton on April 3, 2013.

Another problem with determining who "won" the trade...

@radoran

I DO think it was easier for Philly to pry Mason away after how well Bob was playing for the Jackets.

Don't disagree at all.

In that respect, perhaps the Flyers "lose" the Bob trade on the merits, but "win" the trade in the end because CBJ dealt Mason because of it.

Plus, hell, they got something for Leighton of all people. A man after whom they should probably just rename the waiver wire.

Anyone know what these picks became?  And the 3rd for Mason?  Maybe if we're weighing the transaction(s) this would be helpful.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/trade.cgi

2nd Stolarz

4th Leier

other 4th (Justin Auger) went to LA for Gagne.

Mason's 3rd is in this draft.

And their salaries need to be included into the equation as well.

Bob - 2014- 5.6mill 2015-7.4mill 2016-7.4mill

Mase-2014-4.1mill 2015-4.1mill 2016-2016-4.1mill

That is a savings of 1.5mill in this past year a savings of 3.3mill next year and 3.3mil in 2016. For a total savings of 8.1mill.

Sorry this throws this over the Edge in the Flyers favor all day....what a great deal Mase was signed to who gave him this deal they need credit??? :ph34r:

Came across a very interesting article:

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-flyers-won-the-masonbobrovsky-trades/

So how do you feel about the trade 2 yrs later. Personally I think Mason has been a god send to this team. The failures of this team this year certainly CANNOT be place on the shoulders of Mason. With a better defense in front of him, this team easily can add at least another half-dozen wins in the win column.

This is not a knock against Bob, whom I thought was gonna be a start, but having Bryz here and Bob together simply was not going to work.

The author makes some good arguments to why the Flyers won this trade.

your thoughts...............

right now I'd take Mason, sure.

The bob situation was so poorly handled.

Homer made an asinine decision in letting Lavvy play Bob in the playoffs. So stupid. Just dumb. Anyone watching that Buffalo series could have told you that switching the goalie would do squat. They were all tight low scoring games. The Flyers just weren't waking up offensively. Boosh, Bob, it wouldn't have mattered. And it didn't.

I don't know if it was Lavvy's idea or Homer's idea to try tossing Bob into the mix. Either way it was stupid because that choice was what prevented Bob from spending the next season in the AHL which was just what he needed really, not to mention off the cap pay roll, which is what ultimately motivated the trade... A desperate and bad trade to boot (no offense to Stolarz)

Bob needed time. snider and Homer just had goalie in the brain after coming so close in 2010 and their senses failed them when they signed Bryz.

Bob just needed time. Reese would have helped too.

Still, At this point I'm glad we've got Mason and would probably prefer him, but his knees make me nervous.

At the time it would have been cookoo of te jackets to trade a Calder winner for Bob. After the Vezina season though, Bob looked like the clear winner. Now, I don't know. I like Mason.

They weren't technically traded "for each other"

They got Mason for a 3rd and the Ghost of Michael Leighton on April 3, 2013.

Another problem with determining who "won" the trade...

If Stolarz (Bob'd 2nd round return) manages to ever play in and win a single NHL game, I think we won. Otherwise it's a wash ;)

Right now that doesn't seem like an impending danger.

My gut says Mase would be a top 10 goalie in this league, hell, maybe even a top 5 goalie if he had any kinda defense in front of him. The fact he's posting the respectable numbers that he is with this rag tag band of stiffs is nothing short of amazing. As the defense slowly turns over, allowing our prospects to creep into the picture, Mason's numbers will get better as well, slowly but surely. Mason is by far, the most athletic goalie we have had since Pelle hit the tree.

Otherwise it's a wash

Sorry i can't agree. The so close stats are a wash almost so the thing that gives the Mase deal the edge is the extra draft picks who are on the Phantoms and may contribute in a year or two and the 8.1mill the Mase contract signing saves so they can give to other guys over the next two years like say Jake, Brayden and Coots.

If they had Bob going into just next season alone that is another 3.3mill you have to add to the salary cap. So i have to give it to Mase hands down. Then another 3.3mill they will have to find room to carry Bob with in 2016....no thanks i like Mason.

And their salaries need to be included into the equation as well.

Bob - 2014- 5.6mill 2015-7.4mill 2016-7.4mill

Mase-2014-4.1mill 2015-4.1mill 2016-2016-4.1mill

That is a savings of 1.5mill in this past year a savings of 3.3mill next year and 3.3mil in 2016. For a total savings of 8.1mill.

Sorry this throws this over the Edge in the Flyers favor all day....what a great deal Mase was signed to who gave him this deal they need credit??? :ph34r:

Flyers didn't sign that deal with Bob. Apples and oranges.

Mason had a .928 save percentage this year....with THAT defence. Obviously if you're on a great team, your GAA is going to be better, but save percentage usually tells you more about the individual. 

The 3rd best in the league there...playing behind Grossmann/Schenn/Shultz/MDZ/Streit/MacDonald/Coliacovo....That is pretty feckin' impressive.

Mason had a .928 save percentage this year....with THAT defence. Obviously if you're on a great team, your GAA is going to be better, but save percentage usually tells you more about the individual.

The 3rd best in the league there...playing behind Grossmann/Schenn/Shultz/MDZ/Streit/MacDonald/Coliacovo....That is pretty feckin' impressive.

And, Mason wasn't healthy all season either

I know they signed the better deal with Mason that is my point.

But there's no guarantee they would have signed Bob to the same deal. Or that Bob wins the Vezina Before getting it.

it's like looking at a traded away draft pick and saying the guy was a bust - no guarantee same guy would have been picked.

Archived