Struggling...

Polaris922

The Pens are struggling right now, and we all know it.  What will the playoffs bring?  I don't know.  They have to get their scoring sorted out to have any chance.  Fleury has had a great season, and that's a good sign for the defensive side of the game, but man... where did the goals go?  

Having said that, and also having expressed sympathy for our Flyers fan friends on this forum (I can't believe that's a real phrase now), there have been some real gems on the Pens sites rubbing in their misfortunes.  I figured I'd share a couple of the funnier ones I've seen to keep the rivalry alive..  especially with them beating us this Wednesday and the game coming up this weekend...  

post-649-0-47262300-1428064959_thumb.jpg

thanks Polaris...   thanks a lot... 

But it will be funny to watch the Pens crash and burn in the 1st round and knowing you farm system is devoid of any talent.

That's what happens when most of that talent is now in the NHL.  ;)

Update: Kaspari Kapanen just assigned to WBS.  Oskar Sundqvist not far behind. See? Already replenishing. 

That's what happens when most of that talent is now in the NHL.  ;)

Update: Kaspari Kapanen just assigned to WBS.  Oskar Sundqvist not far behind. See? Already replenishing. 

replenishing?  Shero basically pulled a Homer and traded everything for the win now mentality.    1st round - another early ouster by a "contender"

thanks Polaris...   thanks a lot... 

But it will be funny to watch the Pens crash and burn in the 1st round and knowing you farm system is devoid of any talent.

Now now... you know it's all in the spirit of the rivalry!  I even referred to you guys as our "Flyers fan friends"... who ever heard a Pittsburgh kid say that??   I am not super worried about the playoffs yet, and we both know only one team wins it all so there's a good chance it's not us...  but I still have hope!  

replenishing?  Shero basically pulled a Homer and traded everything for the win now mentality.    1st round - another early ouster by a "contender"

Um...yeah? Not to mention Dumoulin and Harrington who are NHLers waiting in the wings.

That's how it works.  Acquire talent.  Let it develop.  Bring it to the NHL. Repeat.  Now they are starting to replenish that talent and there is still some left.  And I haven't even mentioned the netminders

Hockey's Future had the Pens 16th.  Not bad.  Flyer's 21st.  I guess it's better to be a "contender" and be devoid of talent in the pipeline than to miss the playoffs and be devoid of talent in the pipeline.  :blink[1]:

I wonder how Rejean would have handled this year's trade deadline... Hard to see Jim Rutherford as any type of upgrade over Shero.

Watching Ben Lovejoy play 25+ the other night makes me feel good as a Flyers fan. 

The Baby Pens are usually competitive but much like the Caps farm team (my beloved Hershey Bears) the success doesn't seem to translate up to the NHL squad, and I find that strange.

I don't know how long it will be until you guys are in the same boat as we are... watching your team play vs San Jose Sunday and then vs us on Wednesday there's some work to be done. 

What a difference a month makes,  because i caught them in mid February and was like whoa... those guys look like they're going to mow down the east  they were playing a tight checking disciplined game, using their skating...don't know what's going on now. 

those are some funny pictures i think my favorite is Malkin and Crosby , that's funny i don't care who you are.

The Pens are struggling right now, and we all know it. What will the playoffs bring? I don't know. They have to get their scoring sorted out to have any chance. Fleury has had a great season, and that's a good sign for the defensive side of the game, but man... where did the goals go?

Without goals they are done in round 1 so they need to be a scoring machine and not give up more goals than they are scoring and do not give up the very first goal of any game to early.

They have so much talent but few goals and it doesn't matter who is injured because there are many many players that can score goals.

I wonder how Rejean would have handled this year's trade deadline... Hard to see Jim Rutherford as any type of upgrade over Shero.

Watching Ben Lovejoy play 25+ the other night makes me feel good as a Flyers fan. 

The Baby Pens are usually competitive but much like the Caps farm team (my beloved Hershey Bears) the success doesn't seem to translate up to the NHL squad, and I find that strange.

I don't know how long it will be until you guys are in the same boat as we are... watching your team play vs San Jose Sunday and then vs us on Wednesday there's some work to be done. 

What a difference a month makes,  because i caught them in mid February and was like whoa... those guys look like they're going to mow down the east  they were playing a tight checking disciplined game, using their skating...don't know what's going on now. 

those are some funny pictures i think my favorite is Malkin and Crosby , that's funny i don't care who you are.

The team is definitely having a bit of a tough time figuring out who and what they are right now.  I don't know if it's just the incredible number of lost man games adding up or just a routine NHL slump teams often go through.  Either way I hope they figure it out and seen.  Lovejoy has played well overall for the Pens, but had a rough weekend.  He's not the guy you want to be asking for 25 minutes from.  But with only dressing 5 defensemen, you have limited options, and they were trying to go easy on Martin after beating him up the game before.  

and I agree whole heartedly.. I'm still no Rutherford fan.  Liked the Erhoff signing and the Perron trades.  Liked Hornqvist... but the Bortuzzo for Cole, and Depres for Lovejoy trades left me shaking my head.    

Without goals they are done in round 1 so they need to be a scoring machine and not give up more goals than they are scoring and do not give up the very first goal of any game to early.

They have so much talent but few goals and it doesn't matter who is injured because there are many many players that can score goals.

so wait... you're saying that to win you have to score more goals than your opponent?  ;)   lol  just teasing man... welcome back.  

lol I thought you were teasing, basically what I am saying if the Pens are up 5-1 and lose 6-5 then they are done in round 1 and there are ZERO excuses for that and I believe games similar to this has happened this season and it just  frustrating when that happens. . . . . . .

Which contender are we talking about? The Pens? Only if you call all 16 teams that make the playoffs contenders, which I guess is technically correct.

The Pens(and I'm a Pens fan) are not considered serious contenders this season at all. So I'm not sure why you through that phrase out there contemptuously,

except maybe to make your Schadenfraude better. But I guess when that's all you have to go with though, you go with it.

Now now... you know it's all in the spirit of the rivalry!  I even referred to you guys as our "Flyers fan friends"... who ever heard a Pittsburgh kid say that??   I am not super worried about the playoffs yet, and we both know only one team wins it all so there's a good chance it's not us...  but I still have hope!

****** OFFICIAL NOTICE *******

I'm sorry Polaris, but based on the above statement, I've had to turn your name over to the Pittsburgh's re-education department. Acquaintences is typically as far as you are allowed to go. Any heritage you have in the Pittsburgh area has been erased from record until you have successfully passed the re-education program and begin to act and speak as a true native son.

You will need to submit to the head of the department the following documentation of the following activities:

1) 80% or better score in the final examination of  the course "Pittsburghese, the only language necessary"

2) Submission of a 1000 word essay on your personal meaning of the term "It's a 'burgh thing".

3) Perform 100 hours of community service at a local Primanti's.

4) Take a pilgrimage to the Iron City Brewery and down a case of Vitamin I just because.

5) Answer the following question correctly, "My favorite thing about Philadelphia is ________."(Hint, the anwser is already there, nothing).

When you have provided all the proper documentation, we will think about allowing you to call yourself a Pittsburgher once again

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

The team is definitely having a bit of a tough time figuring out who and what they are right now.  I don't know if it's just the incredible number of lost man games adding up or just a routine NHL slump teams often go through.  Either way I hope they figure it out and seen.  Lovejoy has played well overall for the Pens, but had a rough weekend.  He's not the guy you want to be asking for 25 minutes from.  But with only dressing 5 defensemen, you have limited options, and they were trying to go easy on Martin after beating him up the game before.  

and I agree whole heartedly.. I'm still no Rutherford fan.  Liked the Erhoff signing and the Perron trades.  Liked Hornqvist... but the Bortuzzo for Cole, and Depres for Lovejoy trades left me shaking my head.   

The defense was good before the deadline, I'm not sure what they were thinking.   This is the first year in some time, and it's Rutherford's first, that I think they took a step backwards at the deadline.    Bort for Cole I maybe could understand, but Despres for Lovejoy was just awful.  Made them less physical for the playoff run, which is exactly the opposite of what you want.

But that does not explain the lack of scoring.  This I blame on Johnston, he's very much like DFB, and has made the team a dump and grind positional team.  The play, even on the Power Play, is on the perimeter.   Early on they were using the high slot well, now its abandoned.   Whatever system they are playing, if there is one, its just not working.   I keep waiting for Johnston to say during his post loss presser, "We just couldn't get to our game" like DFB did. 

Me, I'm very pessimistic about their chances, even if everyone came back.  They have not been a good Playoff Caliber team since early January.

Hockey's Future had the Pens 16th.  Not bad.  Flyer's 21st.  I guess it's better to be a "contender" and be devoid of talent in the pipeline than to miss the playoffs and be devoid of talent in the pipeline.

Hey, 21st is *awesome* when we were ranked dead last one or two years ago! Progress! :)

I just glanced at the standings (because as a Flyers fan, not much use checking them out, right?) and was surprised to see the Pens as a wildcard! 

In any case, good luck to your team. As much as I'm happy we'll get a solid draft pick, there really isn't anything like playoff hockey.

I just glanced at the standings (because as a Flyers fan, not much use checking them out, right?) and was surprised to see the Pens as a wildcard!

In any case, good luck to your team. As much as I'm happy we'll get a solid draft pick, there really isn't anything like playoff hockey.

Thanks bud. I don't like what Johnston is doing, but any shot is worth taking. They weren't favorites in '09 either...

****** OFFICIAL NOTICE *******

I'm sorry Polaris, but based on the above statement, I've had to turn your name over to the Pittsburgh's re-education department. Acquaintences is typically as far as you are allowed to go. Any heritage you have in the Pittsburgh area has been erased from record until you have successfully passed the re-education program and begin to act and speak as a true native son.

You will need to submit to the head of the department the following documentation of the following activities:

1) 80% or better score in the final examination of the course "Pittsburghese, the only language necessary"

2) Submission of a 1000 word essay on your personal meaning of the term "It's a 'burgh thing".

3) Perform 100 hours of community service at a local Primanti's.

4) Take a pilgrimage to the Iron City Brewery and down a case of Vitamin I just because.

5) Answer the following question correctly, "My favorite thing about Philadelphia is ________."(Hint, the anwser is already there, nothing).

When you have provided all the proper documentation, we will think about allowing you to call yourself a Pittsburgher once again

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

****... I didn't realize the Yinzer Police were watching! Lol

Thanks bud. I don't like what Johnston is doing, but any shot is worth taking. They weren't favorites in '09 either...

Sometimes that's better. 

Which potential 1st round matchup do you think favours the Pens?

****... I didn't realize the Yinzer Police were watching! Lol

We are everywhere yunz look, but cannot see.  So reddup you act, or we'll drag you dahntahn  ya jagoff(and I say that in  the fondest terms).    :D

Archived