san Jose at consol

notfondajane

Great game by both teams.  Perron Played, but only about 10 minutes, and had some glorious chances he couldn't finish on.   He did come through in the shootout though.   Great finish by the PK in OT after Hornqvist got a double minor for high sticking.   3:49 of 4v3, what great hustle.  

I thought your PK looked great last night. I haven't like Pouilot much ,small sample size ,but I'd forecheck the hell out of him in a playoff series. For your sake I hope some of your regular d gets heathy

I thought your PK looked great last night. I haven't like Pouilot much ,small sample size ,but I'd forecheck the hell out of him in a playoff series. For your sake I hope some of your regular d gets heathy

Sadly, I really don't have much hope of seeing Letang in the near future, and wouldn't be surprised after that hit if he was done for the season.  With Ehrhoff, who knows, he's been up and down the late part of the season, not sure why they haven't IR'd him to save cap space.

Pouliot will be a great asset, but as you observe probably not this season.  At 21 he  has some huge upside, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him the full season next year.  When he gets speed on the breakout, its like having a fourth forward on the rush, which is great. But he tries to beat forecheckers too often, and he'll get burnt at some point

NFN, but if they're down Letang and Ehrhoff to start the playoffs, they are going to go far and it will give a player like Pouliot great experience for the future. 

I think the Ehrhoff experiment is done, he never fit in the offensive role that he was supposed to, and then then the injuries set in. I'm not sure if Martin will be back next year, or at least at his current cap hit.   If he would take a pay cut at 35,  I'd keep him.  I also would not mind keeping Cole around, I think he can be a solid pure defender.  Sadly, my Christmas wish has not come true, and Scuderi is STILL in the lineup, sigh.  So next season could start with Letang,Maatta and Pouliot all in the NHL lineup.  Talking about some speed on defense.

Sadly, I really don't have much hope of seeing Letang in the near future, and wouldn't be surprised after that hit if he was done for the season.  With Ehrhoff, who knows, he's been up and down the late part of the season, not sure why they haven't IR'd him to save cap space.

Pouliot will be a great asset, but as you observe probably not this season.  At 21 he  has some huge upside, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him the full season next year.  When he gets speed on the breakout, its like having a fourth forward on the rush, which is great. But he tries to beat forecheckers too often, and he'll get burnt at some point

NFN, but if they're down Letang and Ehrhoff to start the playoffs, they are going to go far and it will give a player like Pouliot great experience for the future. 

I think the Ehrhoff experiment is done, he never fit in the offensive role that he was supposed to, and then then the injuries set in. I'm not sure if Martin will be back next year, or at least at his current cap hit.   If he would take a pay cut at 35,  I'd keep him.  I also would not mind keeping Cole around, I think he can be a solid pure defender.  Sadly, my Christmas wish has not come true, and Scuderi is STILL in the lineup, sigh.  So next season could start with Letang,Maatta and Pouliot all in the NHL lineup.  Talking about some speed on defense.

I heard somewhere that if you're on the roster,even on the ir, the injured party counts against the cap.I may have misunderstood what was said or something else was done!

I heard somewhere that if you're on the roster,even on the ir, the injured party counts against the cap.I may have misunderstood what was said or something else was done!

There are rules for LTIR, which Malkin and Hornqvist would not have qualified for, I thought there was a shorter duration IR that they could use, but there is only the LTIR where a player must be out for 24 days to allow a team to replace him.

I believe Erhoff returning for one period prevents use of the IR if there's any chance of him returning. I believe there's a 15 day minimum, so they're holding off in case he can return sooner. If not they can drop him to IR retroactively.

I think the smart move is to not bring Martin or Erhoff back.  Especially Martin.  They have 5 defensemen under contract for next season (Letang, Scuderi, Lovejoy, Pouliot and Maatta) and a 6th (Cole) is RFA.  Dumoulin and Harrington are waiting in the wings and make a lot less.  Even at a discount, any money spent on Martin is better spent upgrading the forward spots.  I see Dupuis as a huge question mark heading into next season and it looks like the years of physical play have finally taken their toll on Kunitz.  That leaves them with 4 bone fide top 6 forward in Malkin, Crosby, Perron and Hornqvist plus Spaling and Sutter on the 3rd line.  Bennett will be back (RFA) but where? I'd love for them to bring back Comeau but he'll be due a raise over his current $700,000 salary.  At the end of the day that $9,000,000 coming off the books (Martin + Erhoff) is needed elsewhere i/m/h/o.

Hornqvist / Crosby / Perron

Bennett / Malkin / ???

Spaling / Sutter / Kunitz (I like him on the 3rd line....)

??? / ??? / ??? (Comeau? Downine? Lapierre? Spaling and bring back Winnick?)

@B21

Martin has been their best defense first defenseman. He's had a great two consecutive seasons. I'd like to see a pay cut but I don't want them to lose him. He plays almost as much as Letang, and can be almost as valuable with his defense.

I'd like to see Scuderi move on. Luv the guy but this season has been up and down so much I fear the end is near...

@B21

Martin has been their best defense first defenseman. He's had a great two consecutive seasons. I'd like to see a pay cut but I don't want them to lose him. He plays almost as much as Letang, and can be almost as valuable with his defense.

I'd like to see Scuderi move on. Luv the guy but this season has been up and down so much I fear the end is near...

I hear you but in a salary cap world you have to consider where your organizational depth is when constructing your roster...especially a roster as top-heavy as the Pens are. It's not a knock on Martin. I'd love to have him back. I think there are 2 - maybe 3 - good years left.  He's 34 but there is a lot less wear and tear on his tires as opposed to a more physical player like a Kunitz or Orpik.

I look at it this way. Do I want Martin at around the same salary plus yet another $1,000,000 "top 6" winger to play with Malkin or Crosby? Or do I want a $1,000,000 Pouliot to take Martin's minutes and then add a $4,000,000 top 6 winger to play with Malkin or Crosby?

I'll take the latter.

As I said I'd love to get him back, but only at a discount, for two years with both parties understanding that part of his role is to mentor Pouliot and Maatta.  I think that would be phenomenal, and a benefit to both sides.  Last season was the Martin we wanted to see, but you can see that his offensive skills are eroding year after year, and his rushes up ice, well, he's not the guy any longer.  He needs to be the solid guy on the ice paired with Letang/Maata/Pouliot, and let them carry the puck.  At 34 going on 35, he needs play the positional game now.

Heck, if he goes the route of Free Agency, he could end up back in a place line Jersey, ugh.

As I said I'd love to get him back, but only at a discount, for two years with both parties understanding that part of his role is to mentor Pouliot and Maatta.  I think that would be phenomenal, and a benefit to both sides.  Last season was the Martin we wanted to see, but you can see that his offensive skills are eroding year after year, and his rushes up ice, well, he's not the guy any longer.  He needs to be the solid guy on the ice paired with Letang/Maata/Pouliot, and let them carry the puck.  At 34 going on 35, he needs play the positional game now.

Heck, if he goes the route of Free Agency, he could end up back in a place line Jersey, ugh.

A big discount. Like 2 years and $4,000,000 total discount.  Not sure he'd go for that though.

Archived