Here comes VLC!

murraycraven

Yeah. I hate those crisp needle threading passing puck moving d men too.

Yeah he makes some decent offensive plays not enough in my mind to over look his brain farts especially when he is the elder statesman...he is setting a bad example to the younger kids.

The mistakes were to many this season when Kimmo was here he had less responsibility and was less exposed...for him money to me he just ins't worth is especially when i see a cheaper option with a similar skill set make better smarter plays like CC come to mind at what 4mill less...this i like.

Just trade Streit if you can and resign CC.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was from last thursday maybe Berube's handling will be one of the things that helps get him fired no matter what i want both gone.

Im willing to give VLC one more crack witha d cent coach before I think a buyout is necessary.

After this, if he can't produce with another coach, he may be forced to retire as everyone will know it's him, not the coach. I think he's got another 25 goal season in him under someone who has a clue how to use his skill set.

Of course if you can move him, do it. But honestly, we have no idea what the hell he's truly got left in his tank.

Yeah he makes some decent offensive plays not enough in my mind to over look his brain farts especially when he is the elder statesman...he is setting a bad example to the younger kids.

The mistakes were to many this season when Kimmo was here he had less responsibility and was less exposed...for him money to me he just ins't worth is especially when i see a cheaper option with a similar skill set make better smarter plays like CC come to mind at what 4mill less...this i like.

Just trade Streit if you can and resign CC.

If preventing goals was this team's problem I'd agree. Since scoring them is, I'll have to beg to differ.

The fact of the matter is we have zero idea who is worth what on this team's D squad because their coach has them all playing the position back assward

Greetings:

I thought it was pretty funny and pathetic that VLC flubbed his shootout attempt yesterday.  It was the snapshot of the entire effort.  I am also a bit surprised with Carchidi's sympathy for the guy in today's Inquirer piece.  He acknowledges that pay (he is paid to sit) but suggests a trade to Nashville would have benefited all parties.  Jeepers creepers...the guy's skills are deteriorating and Nashville was smart enough to stay away.  

We can fault Berube for many things but I don't thing he should bear the entire Cross for Homer's sin.  What scares me is a buyout...the Cap hit is over six years.  Yikes.  While the guy says he still has it, my gut says other teams won't care.  If VLC sits another year--he retires.  And it wouldn't surprise me if Hexy pulled a "Richards" and sent him down next year to emphasize his relative lack of worth.  

There's probably a lesson for the CBA here.  If a player's output drops below a certain moving average of past performance, you'd have to wonder if they could do a arbitration to reduce salary.  I believe they had something like this in the past.  

Meanwhile, I like Cousins' play.  There is speed and puck sense.  He is something to look forward to.

Howie

If preventing goals was this team's problem I'd agree.

It is last i checked when you lose a game by one goal preventing them is just as important as scoring them. This year he has underwhelmed greatly at both. MDZ is a cheaper better option than Streit as well. Streit to me is expendable and should be moved if someone finds value in him.

Yeah. I hate those crisp needle threading passing puck moving d men too.

He's had his moments, both good and bad, but that contract (as usual) is too long. It's the kind of deal a team that thinks they're one offensive defenceman away from winning a cup in a two year window, but figure the extra years are worth it just to seal the deal on the guy.

Unfortunately the Flyers usually have a handful of these contracts every single year. You can't go for it every.....single.....year.

It is last i checked when you lose a game by one goal preventing them is just as important as scoring them. This year he has underwhelmed greatly at both. MDZ is a cheaper better option than Streit as well. Streit to me is expendable and should be moved if someone finds value in him.

Normally I'd agree with you, and in essence I do.  But having a guy like Streit is pretty important.  One of the only vaguely positive things about this team has been it's PP numbers.  They're awful at everything else, but they're still 3rd in PP%.  That is in large part due to Streit and MDZ.  Watching Streit and Giroux play with each other on the PP has been one of the few consistently competent and enjoyable  things about this team.  The problem as I see it is that they don't have anyone to counter him to play next to him that can be trusted.  Coburn should have worked out with him.  Schenn should be better at that.  Grossman from two years ago might have been good at that.  Next year maybe Morin would be good at that.  I don't know.

Having a guy like Streit on the same team with a guy like MDZ is huge and I personally would love to keep both of them going forward.  If Sanheim and Ghost can learn how to look for lanes and pass like Streit does, then that alone would be worth him sticking around.  The problem as I see it isnt' Streit you're upset with, it's the lack of support to play with him.

Also, I love Streit's contract.  It's one of the only intelligent deals Homer made here int he last few years of his tenure.  There are guys on this team who have stupid stupid stupid contracts.  But Streit at 5.25 for just 2 more years is DEFINITELY not one of them.  I'd take that deal any day and twice on Tuesdays.  That was one of Homer's decent acquisitions IMHO and one of his most realistic contracts.

And ultimately YES, The beauty of it is that Streit is like you say, HIGHLY MOVEABLE.  If this time next year, MDZ looks like he can take the lead role and the younger guys look like one or two of them might be ready to play NHL minutes, and the team doesn't look to be contending in the playoffs, you can probably still trade Streit to a playoff team looking to make a run for some serious return.  If the Flyers (god help us) are in the same position next season (and with any Luck Berube will be gone and life will be better in general) They could totally send Streit someplace (maybe even the Blackhawks again as Timmo will most likely be hanging them up) for big return. 

Look what we got for Timmo (who hadn't played all year and might die any night he takes the ice) and Coburn (who was having a terrible two years).  Streit is unarguably playing better than either one of them (though mostly because Timmo wasn't playing at all).  Even if he drops off over the next two years, he'll still be a very attractive deadline acquisition for a team looking to add some offensive and PP depth for the playoff run. 

No.  Move Streit when you can get something amazing for him like a first rounder.  Don't move him now because he coughs up a puck once in a while and definitely not because of his contract.  His contract is the least of our problems. 

Normally I'd agree with you, and in essence I do.  But having a guy like Streit is pretty important.  One of the only vaguely positive things about this team has been it's PP numbers.  They're awful at everything else, but they're still 3rd in PP%.  That is in large part due to Streit and MDZ.  Watching Streit and Giroux play with each other on the PP has been one of the few consistently competent and enjoyable  things about this team.  The problem as I see it is that they don't have anyone to counter him to play next to him that can be trusted.  Coburn should have worked out with him.  Schenn should be better at that.  Grossman from two years ago might have been good at that.  Next year maybe Morin would be good at that.  I don't know.

Having a guy like Streit on the same team with a guy like MDZ is huge and I personally would love to keep both of them going forward.  If Sanheim and Ghost can learn how to look for lanes and pass like Streit does, then that alone would be worth him sticking around.  The problem as I see it isnt' Streit you're upset with, it's the lack of support to play with him.

Also, I love Streit's contract.  It's one of the only intelligent deals Homer made here int he last few years of his tenure.  There are guys on this team who have stupid stupid stupid contracts.  But Streit at 5.25 for just 2 more years is DEFINITELY not one of them.  I'd take that deal any day and twice on Tuesdays.  That was one of Homer's decent acquisitions IMHO and one of his most realistic contracts.

And ultimately YES, The beauty of it is that Streit is like you say, HIGHLY MOVEABLE.  If this time next year, MDZ looks like he can take the lead role and the younger guys look like one or two of them might be ready to play NHL minutes, and the team doesn't look to be contending in the playoffs, you can probably still trade Streit to a playoff team looking to make a run for some serious return.  If the Flyers (god help us) are in the same position next season (and with any Luck Berube will be gone and life will be better in general) They could totally send Streit someplace (maybe even the Blackhawks again as Timmo will most likely be hanging them up) for big return. 

Look what we got for Timmo (who hadn't played all year and might die any night he takes the ice) and Coburn (who was having a terrible two years).  Streit is unarguably playing better than either one of them (though mostly because Timmo wasn't playing at all).  Even if he drops off over the next two years, he'll still be a very attractive deadline acquisition for a team looking to add some offensive and PP depth for the playoff run. 

No.  Move Streit when you can get something amazing for him like a first rounder.  Don't move him now because he coughs up a puck once in a while and definitely not because of his contract.  His contract is the least of our problems.

We'll just agree to disagree. If it was just him coughing up the puck every now and then i could live with it but there more to it than that.

Archived